It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Rectal & Anal Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-04-2011, 09:03 AM   #1
(female)

Flyerfan HB User
Blood on surface of stool...scared!

I have been constipated for about a week...BM's every day but very small pellet size and hard to pass. I guess this qualifies for constipation. Anyway, yesterday I noticed a small streak of bright blood in my stool. I had felt a slight tearing sensation when I went so I'm wondering if it is a fissure. Nothing on the paper or in the toilet, just on the stool. Everything I read says you would see blood on TP or in toilet from a fissure. Or could it be a hemhorroid? I had external hemhorroids several years ago and a fissure that did not cause bleeding (that I know of). I am currently on a grain-free diet but am trying to get my fiber from fruits and veggies and am taking a digestive enzyme also. I do have a GI appt in 2 days but I am freaking out! BTW, I am female and 42.

Old 01-04-2011, 09:20 AM   #2
(male)

tygriff HB Usertygriff HB Usertygriff HB User
Re: Blood on surface of stool...scared!

Flyerfan,

You are right, it is likely just a fissure. Nothing to be afraid of. Up your water intake. Drink as much water as you can. A bare minimum of 8 glasses per day (try to get over 10). Metamucil helps as well (2x per day) if this is allowed in your diet.
It should resolve itself in a week or two.

If it is a fissure, the GI Doctor will likely be able to confirm without an 'internal' exam. Even if a DRE (Digital Rectal Exam) is required, it takes less than a minute and is only uncomfortable - not painfull (at least for me it was).

I would not worry too much. Many, many people have anal fissures over their life. They are not life threatening and do not lead to more severe problems (ie: cancer).

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-04-2011, 04:16 PM   #3
(female)

Nanerpus HB User

I wouldn't worry about that for a second. You are just constipated and once you get more regular it will stop. Fiber, water, Fiber, Water!

Old 01-13-2011, 03:22 PM   #4
(female)

Flyerfan HB User

Well, I went to the GI doc today (new one for me...not sure I like him) and he did a rectal but felt nothing. He did a stool test which was negative. He said the only way to find out where the blood came from is to do a colonoscopy. Of course, it's up to me. I mentioned it only happened one time and he really didn't give me an answer if the "one time" could mean anything. I mean, would it have to happen over and over for it to be something serious or could that one time mean something?

On one hand I want to put my mind at rest but on the other, I'm thinking the worst. I haven't seen hide nor hair of blood for 9 days and my bm's have been normal since I adjusted my diet. I am really consumed with this now and am worrying my pants off.

Old 01-14-2011, 09:21 AM   #5
(male)

tygriff HB Usertygriff HB Usertygriff HB User

Flyerfan,

Do you have any history of anal / rectal cancer in your family? I do and my doc has requested that I begin having a colonoscopy every 2 years as soon as I turn 40 (I am 37 now).

Considering you are over 40, a colonoscopy may be in order anyway as part of your regular medical 'maintenance'.

I wouldn't worry too much about it. Have the colonoscopy and put your mind at ease.

The Following User Says Thank You to tygriff For This Useful Post:
jamboz (11-04-2012)
Old 01-14-2011, 03:58 PM   #6
(female)

Flyerfan HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by tygriff View Post
Flyerfan,

Do you have any history of anal / rectal cancer in your family? I do and my doc has requested that I begin having a colonoscopy every 2 years as soon as I turn 40 (I am 37 now).

Considering you are over 40, a colonoscopy may be in order anyway as part of your regular medical 'maintenance'.

I wouldn't worry too much about it. Have the colonoscopy and put your mind at ease.
No history of cancer at all.

Closed Thread