It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Rectal & Anal Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-28-2011, 06:47 AM   #1
(male)

osage HB User
Thumbs up Stage IIIC Survivor...5 yrs. Out & Here to Help..

Hello folks...I was diag. in Fall of 2005 and experienced the following...5 wks pre-op...radiation & Chemo (Xeloda)...Resection surgery in Jan '06...with Illeostomy. Full 12 treatments of Folfox...Mar'06 - Oct '6. Illeostomy closure in Dec '06. If anyone out there is going through any or all of this experience and have any questions or would just like to share their experience...let me know. First and foremost thought...this is a very personal experience and no two people are alike regarding what they are experiencing...reactions...what works & doesn't work...success or lack of etc. Take care!

The Following User Says Thank You to osage For This Useful Post:
janola (06-10-2011)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-28-2011, 12:01 PM   #2
(male)

gynks HB User
Re: Stage IIIC Survivor...5 yrs. Out & Here to Help..

Maybe you can help me out. I have recently noticed that I am strainig to go #2 lately and the other day when I went to wipe I felt a lump on one side of my hole (sorry not trying to sound so graphic), it was not painful and just went back inside on its own. Now everytime I go I feel down there and the lump is there, about the size of 2 marbles. I am freaking out and don't know what it could be, does this sound like anything to you? What kind of symptom did you have? Any answers would be appreciated.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-28-2011, 04:20 PM   #3
(male)

osage HB User

Hi Gynks...From what you describe...my first thought would be you might be having an issue with hemorrhoids or piles. These are caused by swelling of the blood vessels from straining when passing bowel movements. However...usually this is accompanied by some pain. You don't mention that. I noticed that you have been a member here since 2005? Is this something you have been experiencing before? Perhaps...you should discuss with your primary physician...to see if he/she feels it warrants further attention. If the lumps come & go...perhaps increasing your fiber content in your diet might improve things. You can also use a fiber supplement to up your daily fiber intake. Hope this helps...

Old 03-01-2011, 11:27 AM   #4
(male)

gynks HB User

Osqage, yes i have been a member since 05 but no I have not been having these issues since then. I did one of those at home tests that check for blood in the stool which was negative but not sure how accurqate those are. I have bee ntaking metamucil daily for about a year now for soemissues I had with external hemorroids in the past. Would a tumor be something that only shows up when passign stool ,then go back to normal when done?

Old 04-25-2011, 09:02 AM   #5
(male)

outlander800max HB User

How are you feeling now?
Are you still taking prescriptions?
Do you think there could be such things as phantom pains because of nerve interference or damage caused by chemo?
there were five chemicals in my chemo one was foxphal?

Old 06-10-2011, 01:51 AM   #6
(female)

janola HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by osage View Post
Hello folks...I was diag. in Fall of 2005 and experienced the following...5 wks pre-op...radiation & Chemo (Xeloda)...Resection surgery in Jan '06...with Illeostomy. Full 12 treatments of Folfox...Mar'06 - Oct '6. Illeostomy closure in Dec '06. If anyone out there is going through any or all of this experience and have any questions or would just like to share their experience...let me know. First and foremost thought...this is a very personal experience and no two people are alike regarding what they are experiencing...reactions...what works & doesn't work...success or lack of etc. Take care!

Old 06-10-2011, 01:55 AM   #7
(female)

janola HB User

Hi osage,
It's really encouraging to hear your story. I've just finished five weeks of pre-operative chemo-radiotherapy for stage III colorectal cancer. I was wondering how long after your radiotherapy it was until you had your surgery.

Old 08-14-2011, 01:58 PM   #8
(female)

some advise HB User

hi a have a large lump inside my bum it is not sore, i have some symptoms like bad stomach craps, bloating, blood in my stools, am very tired all the time did u experience any of this before you were diag.

Old 08-16-2011, 06:10 AM   #9
(male)

outlander800max HB User

No I didn't feal anything out of the ordinary except for an odd ache now and then in my lower left of my belly button.

Old 03-22-2012, 05:36 PM   #10
(male)

Jim9023 HB User

Quote:
My son was diagnosed in November 2010, at 19 yoa, with Stage III rectal cancer. At the time he was on a college athletic scholarship for distance running as well as academic scholarships. As a national class athlete we noticed problems with his performance at meets. He hid his rectal bleeding until his conference meet. He missed the spring semester of school. He has been through the 2 sessions of 5FU and radiation preop. The radiation caused major problems but he got in the full month, He had surgery and devoloped 2 abcesses (sorry about the spelling). He had a colostomy, which took 4 months to have reversed....exactly a week before he started his fall semester. Since then, he has had constant issues with loose stools and frequent movements. In February, after 3 weeks of school, he was diagnosed with a plastic anemia. We are getting nowhere with his healing and despite his constant eating, his oncologist says he is malnurished. He was always thin (at 5'9", he was 135 in top shape) but now appears deathly thin (110) and constanyly tired. Any suggestions???.....we are open to anything to help him.

Last edited by Jim9023; 03-22-2012 at 05:37 PM.

Old 03-22-2012, 08:07 PM   #11
(male)

osage HB User

Jim...I just picked up on your note (don't visit here as much as I used to). I do have some thoughts and suggestions for your son based on my experience and the recommendations given to me by my surgeon and gastroentrolologist when I was going through tough times with bowels. (Still an issue sometimes...but nothing like the first couple of years after surgery.) It will be tomorrow before I can reply in length...but I do have a couple of questions first. Did he have all of his rectum removed and approx. how much of his large intestine. Does he have a "J" loop connection now? Also...could you provide a timeline with more details of his treatment so I have a better idea of what was done and where he is in his recovery.

Last edited by osage; 03-22-2012 at 08:27 PM. Reason: More info needed to better understand his issues.

Old 03-23-2012, 10:04 AM   #12
(male)

Jim9023 HB User

Quote:
Jim...I just picked up on your note (don't visit here as much as I used to). I do have some thoughts and suggestions for your son based on my experience and the recommendations given to me by my surgeon and gastroentrolologist when I was going through tough times with bowels. (Still an issue sometimes...but nothing like the first couple of years after surgery.) It will be tomorrow before I can reply in length...but I do have a couple of questions first. Did he have all of his rectum removed and approx. how much of his large intestine. Does he have a "J" loop connection now? Also...could you provide a timeline with more details of his treatment so I have a better idea of what was done and where he is in his recovery.
No he had about half of his rectum removed. He was fortunate in that while the tumor was very large, chemo and radiation shrunk it well. He had the eight weekly treatments of 5FU in Dec. 2010-Jan 2011. In February 2011, he started the weekly chemo and daily radiation. He was hospitalized after a week of the radiation, because radiation had caused enough swelling to shut down his digestive tract. He finished radiation the first week of March 2011. The following week he was hospitalized with vasculitis. He formed huge welts on his arms and legs in a matter of minutes, and the blood vessels in his muscles were bursting.....also a result of radiation. On April 6, 2011, he had his resection. On April 20, he was readmitted with 2 large abscesses at the repair site. After trying to treat the abscesses with antibiotics and such (he had 11 bags on his IV tree at one point going to his port, a pic line and two IV sites) he had surgery on April 28, to bathe the area and perform a colostomy to aid in healing. He had several hospital visits with obstructions during the coming months. In July he was placed on TPN and continued that at home until his ostomy was reverse. He had a abscess repaired at the end of July 2011. His ostomy was reversed on August 10, 2011, he was released from the hospital on August 14th and he returned to school on the 17th. His port was removed at the begining of October 2011. He continued to struggle with stomach issues and fatigue, and in early February, our family doctor saw him and ran a CBC. He told us the following day to get to the oncologist right away. A bone marrow was done, and about five days later we were told he has aplastic anemia and his bone marrow was functioning at 2%. He was hospitalized and given antibiotics, EPO, and a total of 4 units of blood. His counts came up and the oncologist told us his issues were solved. Of course yesterday we were told he is again anemic.....although the oncologist said he would not have to see him until July.... Any help would be appreciated. We have been abandoned by his GI and only our family doctor and CR surgeon seem to want to help.

Closed Thread