It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Rectal & Anal Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-16-2011, 04:30 AM   #1
(male)

peterc2006 HB User
Bright color blood in stool - Worried sick

Hi I am male, 40. I have a history of 18 years of alcohol usage, much less since last 3 years. Have 4 year history of GERD and about 3 weeks back got diagnosed as having laryngo-pharyngeal reflux (LPR). I have stopped the drinking for 3 weeks since I got the symptoms of LPR. I am used to have Omeprezole 20 mg since last 3-4 years. But now on Nexium 40 mg. I had two upper endoscopies about 4 and 1.5 years back and both showed GERD.

I have been having more than the usual acid symptoms since last one year or so with feeling full, chest pain etc. The chest pain went after reducing the alcohol further about 3 months back. However still used to have lots of burping, gurgling sound in stomach, occasional dizziness etc.

I got a real scare when I had sore throat that refused to heal since last 3 weeks. Two different ENTs put it down to LPR. I was just relaxing and yesterday I got another shock.

Sorry if I am gross, but found fresh bright blood coated on the stool towards end of motion. Other stools were normal. I am waiting for my appointment with Gastro, but meanwhile had the stool analyzed and they confirmed it is indeed blood and that the part of the stool which blood tested positive for occult blood. However stool that had no blood was OK in all respects with no occult blood. I did not have any pain while having BM. The motion is not thin and do feel complete. Since I stopped the alcohol about 3 weeks back, I am also having motion more regularly (every second day) compared to every 3 days or more before. No family history of Colo-rectal cancer. I had always kept an eye on stool color for fear of something unwanted for about an year or more and feel this is the first instance I have seen blood. Not sure of occult blood though.

In the last last 10 days or so since taking antibiotic for throat infection I had some stomach burn/cramp kind of feeling. It went away as soon as the antibiotics stopped and I was relatively free of all GERD/acidity related symptoms since starting on Nexium. However last 3-4 days, the burping is back, stomach occasionally feels little burning sensation overall, especially near navel (some noises can be heard at time (especially when the stomach burns). It is as if the symptoms of acidity have shifted from upper GI to lower GI in the last 10 days or so,

So could this be cancer? Can someone give some insight? Thanks a lot..

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-16-2011, 02:46 PM   #2
(female)

Sika HB User
Re: Bright color blood in stool - Worried sick

Hi peterc, I don't know enough to offer any advice or information, but just wanted to say that I hope you find some answers soon. The worrying and wondering and fear can be awful. Take care.

The Following User Says Thank You to Sika For This Useful Post:
peterc2006 (07-11-2011)
Old 07-11-2011, 09:30 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

TEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB User

Wish I could help too. I have no answers eithor but its good that you are being seen and getting all the necessary tests done. Try not to worry because that doesn't help matters. I deal with reflux and bleeding too with an anal fissure. You may easily have something like that. It will be ok. Let us know how you are.

The Following User Says Thank You to TEdds83 For This Useful Post:
peterc2006 (07-11-2011)
Old 07-11-2011, 01:09 PM   #4
(male)

peterc2006 HB User

Thank you all for the support.

Actually I forgot to reply. The bleeding turned out to be from a dilated blood vessel near the distal end of the rectum as seen on proctoscopy. Physician asked me to do three fecal occult blood tests after a week and all of them turned negative. He has mentioned there may not be a need to a colonoscopy, but has made elective.

Old 07-11-2011, 08:02 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

TEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB User

I'm glad things worked out well for you! Thanks for letting us know.

Closed Thread