It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Rectal & Anal Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-25-2011, 02:06 PM   #1
(female)

rusuja HB User
Quaking in my boots

Hi All,
I am 52 and just had my first colonoscopy.
A large rectal polyp (4cm) was found with cancer cells. It is 5 cm from my anal verge, moderately differentiated and into the intermucoscal (intra?) layer and most certainly deeper. I am waiting to be scheduled for the abdominal/pelvic contrast ct and to be set up with a surgeon. I am healthy, vital, active, feel great and have two absolutely fantastic and senstive daughters (18 and 16) and tender husband. I am using xanax to curb my non stop panic attack. I have found comfort and support by lurking on the board. So thank you all-- I am hoping for the best, but expecting the worst. With my family history, I truly thought I was on the 100 year plan. How do people function with all this anxiety?
For every twinge of love and pleasure I get a rebound attack of terror and grief and feel myself detaching. It has only been a day since i got the news. If anyone out there is from Rochester, I would love to hear from you as far as local care but I would love to hear from anybody on this forum who cares to respond or for whom this post resonates. Thank you all in advance!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-25-2011, 06:19 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

noevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB User
Re: Quaking in my boots

Hi,

I am so sorry you are having to go thru this. My hubby had colo-rectal cancer in 03 (survivor) w/ a mass the size of a softball, stage 3/4. He was almost completely blocked and had to have immediate surgery then went thru chemo and radiation afterwards. His had gone thru the wall of the colon but had not metastasized anywhere. Anyway, I just wanted to let you know I was here if you had any questions. My recommendations are if you have surgery to get a gastro surgical oncologist so they know what they are doing down there when it comes to not having a colostomy bag and such (my hubby did NOT have to have one he had a GREAT surgeon).

Also, I'd make sure I was at a large hospital where they do drug trials. My husband was able to participate in a drug trial which saved his life (chemo).

You have plenty of time to find all this out. Ask your Dr. I'm sure its a slow growing cancer. Plan things out and make sure you have the right folks doing the job for you.

Good luck!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-26-2011, 07:50 PM   #3
(female)

rusuja HB User
Re: Quaking in my boots

Thanks for you reply. I am glad to hear you husband is doing well. That is very encouraging.

Closed Thread