It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Rectal & Anal Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-03-2013, 11:12 PM   #1
(male)

gtf2859 HB User
Anyone have rectal polyps removed?

What was the pain like? How long did it last? How long before you were able to go back to work? I have 2 in the sensitive lower areas that could not be removed during the colonoscopy. I'm due for surgery 7-12-13.

Old 08-05-2013, 09:30 PM   #2
(male)

gtf2859 HB User
Re: Anyone have rectal polyps removed?

Since no one had responded to my post, I'll do it myself as advice for others. I had a colonoscopy done in June 2013. The CS said I had 3 rectal polyps, one was far up enough to be removed during the exam, but the other two were at the bottom, and had to have special surgical date. The one he removed was biopsied and came back benign. I had the surgery for the other two in July 2013. One was a small stalked one which was burned off, and the other was a small one half inch flat one. I paid for the new local injection drug Exparel, which gave me 3 days of no pain at all. My insurance wouldn't cover this drug, so I had to pay out of pocket up front. It is a miracle drug. It was actually developed for use after a hemorriodectomy, so this was no problem at all. The last two he took out were benign as well. Now I'm on the two year colonoscopy program. I've been taking them every 3 years since I was 40. I'm 54 now. My father died from rectal cancer that spread. He never took colonoscopies, until it was too late.
After 3 days, I felt some minor soreness, especially after a BM, but nothing really bad. I never took one of the percocets my CS gave me. Not even a Tylenol. But after 3 weeks, I still need to soak in a warm sitz bath after a BM. I have been on a real high fiber diet since a week before the surgery. The diet is the key to your pain after a BM. What goes in must come out, and it's not worth the agony to eat junk. But if you must eat some junk, make sure you take a heaping teaspoon of Konsyl after the meal. It has been 3 weeks now, and I have been cheating on my diet somewhat, but when I do, I take the fiber supplement.
My cs asked me if I wanted him to do my hemorrhoids during the surgery as well. I told him no, I wasn't having anymore pain than I needed to. After reading all the posts of the agony from hemorrhoid surgery, I couldn't agree to it. I think one of the reasons I have dealt with the minor pain so well, is that after having hemorrhoids and fistulas for over 30 years and dealing with it, this was not much worse. Your diet is the key to it all, and you can't eat whatever you want forever. Even after a hemorroidectomy, if you are prone to constipation, you can get them again. No surgery can change your digestive system. The days of eating regular pizza and hambugers are over for me.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Reply Reply