It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Skin Message Board

Worried about possible melanoma

Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-11-2017, 07:59 PM   #1
Ssl9281
(female)

Ssl9281 HB User
Worried about possible melanoma

Hello. I'm 35 yrs old. I have a mole on the back of my left shoulder blade that I've had for as long as I can remember. In the past couple years, its edges have faded to flesh color (this has happened with other moles as well) & now it's border is quite uneven. It almost looks like it has legs coming off it. It is slightly raised but always has been and medium brown in color. The color looks mostly uniform, but it is hard for me to see. There may be a little redness. The edges almost look like some brown color has kind of leaked out. It sometimes feels irritated, by clothing or nothing. It doesn't hurt, just feels irritated on occasion but I'm also not sure if it's just because I'm overly aware and super paranoid of this mole. When I was a teenager, I was stupid & got much sun exposure and burns with no sunscreen. I've been wanting to get this mole removed for past couple years but was too scared. I have an appointment this week but am absolutely terrified. I'm a single mom & I don't have a "support person." There have been no drastic changes to this mole but it has changed over the past couple yrs. It is very slightly larger than a pencil eraser, but that is due to the border. Im terrified its melanoma & every little ache or fatigue is a metasis in my mind. What are the odds? I know a biopsy is the only way to find out but I need some reassurance/reality in the meantime.

The following user gives a hug of support to Ssl9281:
movielover40 (03-15-2017)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-14-2017, 12:55 PM   #2
VicLF
(female)

VicLF HB User
Re: Worried about possible melanoma

Hi, you should definitely get it looked at. Don't let fear keep you from doing so, the fear will be much worse if you wait and it is something serious. I had melanoma removed from my arm a few years ago. Thank goodness it was in a place where I saw it everyday, so I could tell easily when the changes started to happen and we caught it early. It may be nothing, but let the doctor decide. Then you can start getting skin checks, just like a yearly exam/physical. Good luck!

Old 03-15-2017, 12:42 PM   #3
movielover40
Senior Veteran
(male)

movielover40 HB Usermovielover40 HB Usermovielover40 HB Usermovielover40 HB Usermovielover40 HB Usermovielover40 HB Usermovielover40 HB Usermovielover40 HB Usermovielover40 HB Usermovielover40 HB Usermovielover40 HB User

A dermatologist will take a look at it and decide what to do next. They can usually tell right away.

Try not to worry.

Most skin cancers are basal cell and easily treatable.

Melanoma is the one you have to make sure you don't have.

Please get checked out asap.

Best of luck to you.

Old 03-16-2017, 04:26 AM   #4
Jayde03
(female)

Jayde03 HB User

Hi I am going through a similar situation. I have a mole on my breast that I have had for a long time. I don't know if it has changed or what. But lately it has been catching my eye. It was dark brown but had no signs of malignancy per the doctor but I can't settle with that because google has said moles can turn up being malignant even if they don't have the signs of it (which I don't know truth to it). I just had a biopsy on Monday and I haven't eaten much in over a week. My anxiety is crippling over this. I have exhausted google. I'm so sorry you're going through this. I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers. The wait for the results is very difficult.

Old 05-10-2017, 09:18 PM   #5
VinceG
(male)

VinceG HB User

Since its been a couple months, I hope everything has turned out well for you and for Jayde03 also. I was in a similar situation last fall and unfortunately my biopsy results were positive for melanoma. It was surgically removed along with a sentinel lymph node. The pathology on all the tissue removed was negative for any further signs of the cancer. They were pretty aggressive during the surgery, removing anything and everything that lit up with the radioactive dye that was injected a couple hours prior to the procedure. I am noticeably misshapen at the surgical site. But given that they appeared to get it all out, I am very grateful for the result.

Hope all is well!

Old 05-16-2017, 04:46 PM   #6
MelanomaMally
(female)

MelanomaMally HB User

Vince,
What was the Breslow depth of your melanoma to have them do a lymph node biopsy?

And to the others, I'm highly experienced with all of this let me set your minds at ease. ANY dysplastic (atypical moles) weather they are mild, moderate, or severely dysplastic and NOT cancer. They technically are pre- cursors to cancer. BUT it doesn't mean forsure they would have ended up cancerous. It is always the best bet to have the (WLE) if the mole was severely dysplastic. My personal experience has been this...
Since October 10th 2014 I've had 18 biopsies. 2 were completely normal the rest on the other hand were not. ONE was melanoma the rest were dysplastic ranging from mild to severe. To this day I've had 5 (WLE) and continue to go to the dermatologist every three months. My grandfather passed from melanoma and knowing that and having had it myself I've had one of my sons 8 at the time already have a mole biopsies. Guess what his biopsy came back mildly dysplastic. I have always been extremely careful with him in regards to the sun. So it truly doesn't matter what age you are always get checked keep close eye and stay sun safe. I was 28 when we found my melanoma.

Reply Reply