It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Skin Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-09-2003, 04:52 PM   #1
(female)

kleaf HB User
Skin cancer in vagina?

Just thought I'd look for a bit of advice here, so I appreciate any information and ideas people can give me.

This may sound a bit graphic, so I'll apologise in advance.

I've had some problems with my vagina for about 6 months, I put it down to a recurring yeast infection at first and it just wouldn't go away. I always felt irritated and uncomfortable, it's been really unpleasant.

About 2 months ago I noticed a swollen lymph node in my groin that was aching a lot, and I was getting a bit of pain around the area. I also occassionally had problems with sudden stinging pains in my vagina, it felt like I had been cut or something. Upon looking up stuff on the net the thing that had these sorts of symptoms the most was Herpes, so naturally I started to freak out and I thought I had it. I went to my doctor and she didn't agree, but she did a blood test to put my mind at ease and it came back negative.

Anyways I'd been checking the area to see if there was anything visibly there and saw that on both sides of my vagina (I'm obviously talking about the outside) there were patches of white skin. It wasn't anything stuck to the skin, the skin had just changed colour and was silvery white. I thought it was a bit weird and corresponded the pain and irritation I'd been feeling to those two actual areas.

I showed my doctor and she seemed a bit concerned and said they looked a bit like skin cancers. Now I've never heard of skin cancer in your vagina before, I always associated skin cancer with sun cancer, so I was a bit confused. She's told me to put baby oil on the areas to ease the itchiness and general horrible feeling I have, and it has helped heaps. But it seems that when I shower or go to the toilet it makes it start feeling yuck again. And last night when I went to the toilet I noticed a swollen node on the other side of my groin this time.

I don't go back to the doctor for 2 months. I guess she wants to give it time to go away in case it isn't what she suspects. She's set up a reminder on her computer to be sent out to me, so I guess she thinks it's pretty important. Does any of these symptoms sound familiar to anyone? Or does anyone have any idea about this sort of thing? Silly me has been looking up stuff on the net and I've been freaking myself out. Even if it isn't this skin cancer thing that she thinks it is, I'm wondering what the hell is going on?

Thanks to anyone who may be able to help. Sorry this was so long winded!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-09-2003, 05:02 PM   #2
Inactive

Saraly HB User
It could be a nasty yeast infection, candida causes white patches and is very common in the vaginal area. I would strongly advise you to see a dermatologist just to be sure it isn't a form of melanoma. Yes, you can get it in the vagina, in the rectum, under nail beds, between toes, etc. I was told by my dermatologist to tell my GYN at every visit that my Dad had melanoma. I don't want to alarm you, as I said, it sounds like a yeast infection, I've had a few and had those symptoms but "wait and see" is never a good idea if there's even a remote chance of melanoma. Many good doctors have no idea what skin cancer looks like and melanoma caught early is highly curable, key word "early".

Last edited by Saraly; 11-09-2003 at 05:03 PM.

Old 11-09-2003, 05:17 PM   #3
(female)

kleaf HB User
Hey Saraly,

Thanks for the quick reply, I don't think anyone has ever been that fast!

I'm hoping you're right and it is some sort of horrible yeast infection, although when I was pregnant a few years back I had a constant one and the white patches looked like they were on the outside of the skin rather than the actual skin, if you get what I mean. But then not every infection will be the same will it?

Thanks heaps for your advice, I think I definitely should go to another doctor just so I can stop worrying so much, and as you said, if it was melanoma you have to get in early.

Old 11-09-2003, 05:24 PM   #4
Inactive

Saraly HB User
You're very welcome! Please post after you've seen the doctor and let us know how you are.

Old 11-09-2003, 05:36 PM   #5
(female)

kleaf HB User
I certainly will Saraly, thanks again.

Old 11-10-2003, 01:47 PM   #6
(female)

boodles HB User
Hi there

Firstly let me say that there is a very good chance that it is some sort of infection. However I believe that there is a pre-cancerous condition of the vulva/vagina that shows as a whitenting of the skin.

My mother had cancer of the vulva (external area around the vagina) a couple of years back. By the time she went to the doctor there was a definate lump there which was very tender but this was surrounded by an area of white skin. In retrospect she realised that the itching and soreness that she had been experiencing for some time ( maybe years) was probably an early warning sign.

She received surgery to remove the tumour and some of the surrounding area and as I say that was over 2 years ago. She had scans of the lymph nodes and they were clear at the time but has regular check ups.

Apparantly most of the cancers in this area are in fact squamous cell carcinoma and although they are in a way a kind of skin cancer I think they are usually treated by a gyneacologist reather than a derm as they are really a specific type of cancer in this area.

I really hope that this turns out to be a yeast infection but if not I think that from the symptoms that you describe you may have caught it at the early precancerous stage.

The Following User Says Thank You to boodles For This Useful Post:
storm1979 (12-29-2011)
Closed Thread