It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Skin Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-19-2003, 08:20 AM   #1

lisa1991 HB User
how often do you go to dermatologist

Hi I have a few moles removed and 2 basal skin cancer. My dr is wanting me to come back every month and get checked. I have heard alot of people saying he gets to knife happy wanting to cut off everything that is atypical. I have alot of moles i have had my entire life. I can not afford to go to him every month and I was wondering how often you go to the dermatologist. He would put someone in the poor house real fast. Thanks in advance

Lisa

Old 11-19-2003, 10:15 AM   #2
Inactive

Saraly HB User
I went every year because I have had many Basal Cells removed. When my Father was diagnosed with melanoma I was told to come every six months.
Were your moles atypical or dysplastic? Is there a history of melanoma in your family? I have never heard of anyone having to be checked every month. Maybe you need a second opinion from another dermatologist.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-19-2003, 10:44 AM   #3

lisa1991 HB User
Hi I think my mole were atypical. Not sure. He did 7 biopsies and removed 3 moles and 2 basal cell cancer. I go back tomorrow and next year I am going to find another doctor. I am 30 years old. The moles he removed I have had them since I 10 or 11 years old. I just don't want to be took advantage of just because I was dx with basal cell. The moles run in my family and no one has ever had melanoma. Thank you for your response. Have you had any more skin cancers? I hope all is well

Lisa

Old 11-19-2003, 11:02 AM   #4
Inactive

Saraly HB User
You should be checked every year because you have had Basal Cells. As far as the moles, just because you have had them since childhood doesn't mean they cannot change so you must be vigilant in keeping watch on them. My Grandmother had many moles and died at 95 without getting melanoma. My Father died 5 years ago from melanoma . He had a mole that darkened and bled and he waited way too long to have it checked. By the time it was removed the cancer had spread throughout his entire body. I'm 58 years old and have had BCC removed since my twenties. Tomorrow I will have surgery to remove a very early in situ melanoma from my forearm. The melanoma was caught at a very early curable stage because I have been vigilant in keeping up with my 6 month check ups. Remember, very early melanoma is on the surface of the skin and takes a while before it becomes invasive, this is the only time it's completely curable. Your moles were removed at a time when the cells were beginning to change but weren't cancerous and that's obviously the best time to get them off. Most moles are nothing but only a dermatologist can make that determination by biopsying a suspicious growth.

Old 11-19-2003, 11:56 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

Rick7799 HB User
I have had many basal cells and I go every 3 months, just to be on the safe side.

Old 11-19-2003, 11:58 AM   #6
Inactive

Saraly HB User
Rick, did your doctor say you must go every three months or is that your choice?

Old 11-19-2003, 12:04 PM   #7
Veteran
(female)

lidia09 HB User
Cool

Hi Lisa
I know what you're talking about here. I used to tell everyone that my legs had more Marks than a German Bank but I can't say that now they switched to Euros I had a malignant melanoma removed then went to see a dermatologist every 3 months for 3 years. I very often came home minus another mole & plus several stitches Personally I'd think a monthly check up is a wee bit excessive.

Saraly, best wishes for tomorrow. You'll be absolutely fine I'm sure, so try not to worry.

Lidia

Old 11-20-2003, 06:22 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(male)

Rick7799 HB User
Re: how often do you go to dermatologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saraly
Rick, did your doctor say you must go every three months or is that your choice?
They pop up so often that I just make the appointment when I am there. If I call on the phone it takes about 6 or 7 weeks to get in. I don't like the idea of waiting that long with a skin cancer. I have got pretty good at recognizing them. If after 3 months I don't see anything I will cancel.

Old 02-13-2004, 11:14 AM   #9

AmandaRose HB User
Re: how often do you go to dermatologist

I have had 5 skin cancers removed and I go to the dermatologist every 6 months. If you ask me, every month is a bit much!

Closed Thread