It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Skin Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-05-2004, 11:57 AM   #1

motherchuck HB User
Basal Cell Infiltrative Morpheaform

Anyone heard of this? I had no idea there was an aggressive basal cell to worry about. Just found out today that I have it on my eye brow. How worried should I be? I have already had a basal cell removed from my brow (3 years ago) so I am not sure how long this has been growing! Just noticed it in the last 6 mos.

Old 01-05-2004, 12:22 PM   #2

Pigeons HB User
Re: Basal Cell Infiltrative Morpheaform

Yes, I have heard about it. It's difficult to extract because the borders aren't clearly defined, from what I've read. I wish I could give you more information, but that's all I know. I'd assume that as with other basal cells, it's definitely not something that can't be gotten.

What does it look and feel like?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-05-2004, 01:42 PM   #3

motherchuck HB User

Yes, that is what I read. I can hardly wait to see this scar as it is on my brow!!! I cried in the office when the dr told me. Scared of being totally disfigured.

Old 01-05-2004, 01:47 PM   #4

Pigeons HB User

What did your derm tell you about scarring?

Also, what does it look and feel like? How would I know if I have it?

Old 01-05-2004, 02:07 PM   #5

motherchuck HB User

My spot was just red smooth and round, itched occasionally. Never bled. It was hidden in my brow so I am not sure how long it was growing.

Old 01-05-2004, 02:14 PM   #6

Pigeons HB User

From what I've read, they're "scar-like" in their appearance, and often yellowish or whitish.

That really sucks, but at least it's in your brow. I'm sure your derm will do a fine job. Maybe you can use Aldara on it? Did you ask him?

Old 01-05-2004, 02:37 PM   #7

motherchuck HB User

No, because they are a aggressive form he didn't not even advice it. All I heard was that these types of cancers can spread into the bone etc if they are not caught early!! That was all I needed to hear, no way I am going to take any chances with something "possibly" working. I want it removed!!

Old 01-05-2004, 02:52 PM   #8

Pigeons HB User

I would also look into Photodynamic Therapy. I have no idea if it'd work on this type of BCC, but it's worth a shot. I have seen some stellar examples of the work of PDT on the Web, for what that's worth. One woman had a BCC on her nose, and after the PDT there was NO scarring at all.

Old 01-05-2004, 02:58 PM   #9

motherchuck HB User

I will look this up tonight as I have never heard of it! Thanks! I will also speak to my dr about it.

Old 01-05-2004, 03:03 PM   #10

Pigeons HB User

I would do that. Any alternative to surgery is preferrable. You might also want to find someone who knows how to use the black salves, but I don't know of any medical doctors who use those. Maybe some homeopathic ones.

Motherchunk, sorry for the incessant questions, but is the area depressed or raised?

Old 01-05-2004, 04:05 PM   #11
Inactive

Saraly HB User

How will the doctor remove it, the regular way or MOH's?
Did you see any difference between this and other BCC's?

Old 01-05-2004, 04:37 PM   #12

motherchuck HB User

I am getting it removed next week-MOHs surgery. Next Thursday. The spot was slightly raise like a small pimple or ingrown hair...... Not obvious at all.

Old 01-06-2004, 09:30 PM   #13

Pigeons HB User

I think your worries about disfigurement are unwarranted, especially since you say it's very small and you noticed it early.

BTW, Photodynamic therapy is seldom used in the States for anything other than precancerous lesions, so I suspect you'd have a hard time finding someone to perform it for this type of BCC. It is used for superficial and some nodular BCCs in New Zealand.

Did your doctor suspect anything insidious when he took the biopsy? I don't doubt your biopsy at all, but it's kind of scary that your description of Morpheaform BCC matches none of the descriptions I've read about on the Web.

Old 01-07-2004, 05:19 AM   #14

motherchuck HB User

Pigeon-are you suspecting my labs could be wrong based on the visual I gave you? I forgot to mention, this spot was found along the original scar line from the first basal cell. One thing I have learned after 5 basal cell removals, each one has looked totally different. I dont think there is a truly textbook example of any one kind.

From what I have read about IM basal cell it speads underneath and can attach to bone etc esp in highly suseptable areas (face, brow line etc) where the skin is thin. It is invasive and destructive to the skin.

I am worried but researching was of no help! I should have steered clear of the graphic pictures etc. In the future I may need to stay off of the internet after these biopsies!!

Old 01-07-2004, 07:23 AM   #15

Pigeons HB User

No, like I said, I don't doubt your lab or your derm at all. But like you, I'm surprised that it matches none of the pictures I've seen. Perhaps the fact that it latched onto the previous scar line means something? They are supposed to be "scarlike" in appearance.

My dermatologist told me to, without exception, STAY AWAY from the pictures on the Internet. He said that oftentimes, only the most sensational cancers and surgery results are posted on the Net, and that in the overwhelming majority of cases, if you detect cancers early, you will have excellent cosmetic results. He said lots of pics on the Net are of elderly people who live in rural areas who have let their cancers grow for years or sometimes decades, if you can believe it. You are going to be just fine. Don't let the term "infiltrative" scare you.

Closed Thread