It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Skin Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-02-2004, 03:28 PM   #1
(female)

busymommy HB Userbusymommy HB User
Melanoma on Back of Ear

My dad just received the news he has melanoma on the back of his ear.

Since he just received the news, we have some questions.

What treatment is provided for this type of melanoma?

Does it usually contain itself on the ear...doesn't spread to elsewhere in the body?

Any information you can provide will be greatly appreciated.

Old 02-02-2004, 05:07 PM   #2
Inactive

Saraly HB User
Re: Melanoma on Back of Ear

I'm very sorry that your Dad has been diagnosed with melanoma. His prognosis depends on the stage and type of MM he has. If it has been caught very early and is still only on the surface of his skin ( stage 0) it is curable with excision. If the MM has begun to invade more deeply it will be treated more aggressively, excision and possibly chemo or one of the newer treatments being used today.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-02-2004, 07:18 PM   #3
(female)

Thank you for your reply Saraly. I did a little reading after my post and came up with just what you said. I so hope for his sake it's stage 0. He is 80 years old and has been having numerous health problems. This doesn't come as an easy one. I pray for him and hope others will also. It could only help him at this point!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saraly
I'm very sorry that your Dad has been diagnosed with melanoma. His prognosis depends on the stage and type of MM he has. If it has been caught very early and is still only on the surface of his skin ( stage 0) it is curable with excision. If the MM has begun to invade more deeply it will be treated more aggressively, excision and possibly chemo or one of the newer treatments being used today.

Old 02-03-2004, 04:56 AM   #4
Inactive

Saraly HB User

I am truly sorry and know exactly how you feel. My Dad was diagnosed with a MM at the age of 81 and passed away two years later. He had let a large black mole on his back go for a very long time. He had a large excision but of course the MM had already progressed to his blood stream and so to all parts of his body. He wouldn't go for any treatments and lived well for almost two years, even then refusing doctors and hospitals until a month before he died. He chose Home Hospice and died peacefully at home.
I will keep your Dad in my prayers, and you too. Older people very often get a type of melanoma called "Lentigo Melanoma" that spreads on the surface of the skin for a long time and is also highly curable. Sometimes you see it on the faces of the elderly, large dark patches. Please post and let us know how your Dad is doing. My Dad wasn't concerned at all despite what the doctors told him because he "didn't believe in skin cancer", it's just somthing doctors made up to get money from people.

Old 02-11-2004, 06:28 AM   #5

mfmims HB User

My son has stage IV and has been on green tea 500mg for 4 years and is doing good. Anybody with melanoma in any stage should stay on green tea. 4 - 500mg a day.

Micahel

Old 02-11-2004, 06:44 AM   #6
Inactive

Saraly HB User

I'm sorry your son has MM but happy to hear he's doing so well! Does he take traditional medication and/or treatments too? Is he taking the green tea in capsule form or does he drink it? If he's drinking it, how many cups a day would 500 MGS be?

Old 02-11-2004, 07:27 AM   #7

Pigeons HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfmims
My son has stage IV and has been on green tea 500mg for 4 years and is doing good. Anybody with melanoma in any stage should stay on green tea. 4 - 500mg a day.

Micahel

I have the same questions as Saraly. I know the Life Extension Foundation sells green-tea capsules. I've thought about ordering some, because I've heard that it takes drinking a lot of tea to get the benefits you need.

Old 02-11-2004, 12:02 PM   #8

motherchuck HB User

I bought Green Tea capsules at Walmart. Been taking it everyday in hopes of it helping with my skin cancer issues.

Old 02-19-2004, 02:12 PM   #9
(female)

Hi, All:

Just a follow up on my dad's melanoma. After much prodding of the doctor's office, he found out his was a basel cell melanoma. Highly curable...right on! He had the MOHS procedure (if that's how it's referred to) last night, had tissue sent only once to the lab, and was told that's it! Taken care of! They grafted some skin from another part of his ear to put where the leison was excised. Awesome news! I'm so happy for my dad. With his other health issues, he didn't need to have anything horrible happen.

All the prayers (including many of mine!) were answered and I thank you all.

busymommy

Old 02-19-2004, 04:15 PM   #10
Inactive

Saraly HB User

That's wonderful news!! It's actually called a Basal Cell Carcinoma ( Melanoma is a life threatening cancer). I have had many, many BCCs removed and they are curable.
Thanks so much for sharing the joyful news with us!!

Old 02-20-2004, 01:33 PM   #11
(female)

Thank you Saraly. Since I didn't go to the doctor visits with my dad (my mom did), I wasn't able to ask the questions myself. I heard from my mom it was melanoma and then I asked her to find out what type, etc., and she finally pulled the info from the doctors about the basel cell (carcinoma). They belong to an HMO that I got out of because of this same kind of thing.

Bottom line he is going to be fine and I am so happy!

busymommy

Old 03-04-2004, 05:55 PM   #12
(female)

Jennie HB User

Almost 2 years ago this March my dad was diagonosed with melanoma. They dug it all out (of his leg) and I'm quite positive all of the major organs were clear from it. (I remember the day clearly when he got the results back from the blood tests and brain scan and liver scan - and whatever else they scan) so that was good to hear.
He was on interferon injections for a year, -just came off this summer-
This January he is now back working.

Old 03-04-2004, 08:41 PM   #13
(female)

Good news, Jennie! I'll bet you're so relieved!

busymommy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennie
Almost 2 years ago this March my dad was diagonosed with melanoma. They dug it all out (of his leg) and I'm quite positive all of the major organs were clear from it. (I remember the day clearly when he got the results back from the blood tests and brain scan and liver scan - and whatever else they scan) so that was good to hear.
He was on interferon injections for a year, -just came off this summer-
This January he is now back working.

Old 03-05-2004, 06:09 AM   #14
(female)

Jennie HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by busymommy
Good news, Jennie! I'll bet you're so relieved!

busymommy

I am, since I'm only 19. I believe the doctor's said he had 3 to 5 years....2 years ago. I think he is doing quite good now. But it's getting to the time where the doctor appointments are starting again...just check ups.

Closed Thread