It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Skin Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-18-2004, 01:07 PM   #1

vcherw HB User
Infection after MOHS surgery - anyone experience this?

Hi,

I had MOHS on my cheek a week and a half ago ... and it seemed to be healing ok until this morning when I went to change the dressing ...really red, tender and whitish looking. Has anyone experienced this? If so, how was it treated and how long before the infection subsided? Kinda worrying me...

Thanks.

Old 03-18-2004, 01:38 PM   #2

Pigeons HB User
Re: Infection after MOHS surgery - anyone experience this?

Are you sure it's an infection? What did your doctor tell you when you called him/her?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-18-2004, 01:40 PM   #3

vcherw HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pigeons
Are you sure it's an infection? What did your doctor tell you when you called him/her?
Yes, I saw the doctor this morning. It may be either an allergic reaction to something or an infection. I am now on antibiotics...hoping for the best. And they want to check with me again tomorrow. It's a beaut of an infection.

Old 03-18-2004, 06:38 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Belle2003 HB User

When I had MOHS on my nose, the doctor prescribed antibiotics for a 10 days or so. Did yours do this?

Old 03-20-2004, 01:12 PM   #5

vcherw HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belle2003
When I had MOHS on my nose, the doctor prescribed antibiotics for a 10 days or so. Did yours do this?
Yes, I am on antibiotics for 10 days - it seems to calming down on day 3 but my cheek is still quite red ... I am hoping the redness goes away and the scar line calms down. How long did your antibiotics take to clear things up?

Old 03-22-2004, 08:01 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Belle2003 HB User

I never had an infection from my surgery. I was given a prescription for antibiotics immediately after surgery. My nose was red in the area that was cut and even after it healed. With laser treatment the redness is almost entirely gone. I go to see the doctor tomorrow to see if I should have any more laser treatments.

I know I was impatient about the healing process. After my MOHS operation the doctor did not want to do any dermabrasion or laser treatment for three months. He said that the skin would grow to the level of my skin on my nose. That it would smooth out and the redness would decrease. It was hard to believe, but everything he said was true.

I know you are not happy with how your skin looks at the moment, but it will look so much different in a couple of months.

Old 06-18-2004, 07:41 PM   #7
(female)

cysutton HB User
Question for Belle2003

Can you tell me a little more about the BCC on your nose? What were the signs? How long was it there before being removed? What was it's size? How does the scar look?

I'm 28, female, and just found red bump that isn't going away. Been there for about 5 weeks. Doctor just tried a steroid injection to see if it will go away. If not, I have to have a biopsy.

I'm scared of the morpheaform kind, but I heard that is more white or yellow. This is definitely round. Also, when I push on it, the redness around it goes away, kind of like when you have a zit. Did this happen with yours?

Thanks,
C

Old 06-18-2004, 08:46 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Belle2003 HB User

Since you only have had this on your nose for 5 weeks you would not have really any noticeable scar if a biopsy was necessary. My BCC had been growing for over a year. Be glad that your doctor is proactive and is concerned. I just wish my doctor was.

If you do have a biopsy, they just shave the bump off and test it. Any mark left can easily be covered up with makeup. Now if you have MOHS, then the mark is different for everyone depending on how wide and deep they have to cut.

I myself, after all I have been through, would be glad to have any new foreign bump immediately shaved off and checked.

Old 06-19-2004, 10:28 AM   #9
(female)

balleteach HB User

Hi everybody, Just a comment about my experience with basal cell on the nose. My Derm prescibed Aldara to use for 10 weeks on the bc. This is recently approved by FDA for superficial spreading bc. Other wise she mentioned the mohs procedure. I wanted to avoid being cut on the nose . I had a nodular bc removed from my nose last Sept. with great results. In July, I have to go back to my plastic surgeon and have 2 more small nodular bc removed. It's not mohs, just regular excision and heals up really well. The Aldara has made the area on my nose very red, a little sore and scabby. This is exactly what it is supposed to do. The medicine simulates the immune system to attack and get rid of the bc. It just takes several weeks. I cover the area with a little make up when I go out, but it is still noticable. I hope to have good results after the treatment. Post if you have any questions, balleteach

Closed Thread