It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Skin Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-03-2004, 12:52 PM   #1

catslove HB User
A Scar on face after surgery,URGENT!!!

Hello!
I'm dying to research about a treatment for after skin removal surgery. My husband had two small moles on his right cheek and just simply removed them by his dermatologist. Lucky or unlucky, biopsy found that they were "suspiciou moles which be able to be Melanoma in the future". The doctor told him to take surgery to remove more skin. As he concerned about a scar after surgery, my husband chosen a Cosmetic Surgeon instead of Dermatologist for surgery. The doctor said him there were two (2) methods, which were an excision or curettage(shave removal). Both of them will leave a scar on my husband face, doctor said. My husband wasn't sure which way was better so asked the doctor and was recommended "curettage(shave)" method. After surgery, it has left a 6mmx9mm oval shape scar which is very visible. It's been about 4 weeks after surgery, but my husband has depressed and disappointed by the result. Now, he regrets that he should have taken excision way, not shave removal. Please someone tell me if there is any way to fix this scar? According to the doctor, it might be much better after 6 months. But I just worry about that! Why did he recommend "shave removal"?? Was it a right dicision?? My husband chosen a Cosmetic sergeon because didn't want to get a major scar on his FACE.
Please, please send me any comments about this... Thanx!!
(F.Y.I. my husband is Asian)

Old 05-05-2004, 05:10 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Belle2003 HB User
Re: A Scar on face after surgery,URGENT!!!

When the skin is cut there will always be some kind of scar. I think that shaving was the best route. Encision would have left a depressed scar. Did it leave a red mark? If it did, over time this will fade. You can have a laser treatment done to take the redness out. I had BCC on my nose and it left a red scar. I had laser treatment done twice to take the red out. It took about 80% of the red away. Your husband can always use a little dab of concealer to cover up the scar if he wants to.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-24-2004, 04:44 PM   #3

molay2 HB User
Re: A Scar on face after surgery,URGENT!!!

hi i have not had moles removed but i did have some other surgery. i had what could have been horrible scars but in the surgeons office,by chance, i found in the back of a magazine a website called homerecovery.com everything you need to recover at home after plastic surgery. in there i found silicone strips, it is a strip of rubber it is very thin. what you do is after you heal you tape this over your scars and it will diminish the color, size and texture of a scar even an old one . they worked wonders for me and i can see a difference in the places i wore them and the places not. i also found a brand of the same thing at CVS called rejuvines or something like that. he could tape them on at night and it will work. and don't get much sun on it untill he wears thies strips. go to those two places i suggested and you can find it not the cream or gel but the silicone strips you tape on. also greatskin.com may have answers for after the silicone. good luck and i am sure he will be as handsome as ever soon!!

Old 06-01-2004, 07:47 AM   #4

catslove HB User
Smile Re: A Scar on face after surgery,URGENT!!!

Hello, Belle2003 & Molay2, Thank you very much for your information! You encourage my husband and I.

Closed Thread