It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Skin Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-09-2004, 11:44 PM   #1
Inactive
(female)

subway13 HB User
can you die from skin cancer?

I had a mole removed that came back "pre-cancerous" what does that mean?? And when it is cancerous don't they just remove it? What happens if you don't get it removed?

Old 06-10-2004, 06:55 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

Rick7799 HB User
Re: can you die from skin cancer?

In the "pre-cancerous" stage, it's not serious. It was caught early. There are 3 types of skin cancer. Basal cell, squama cell and melanoma. Melanoma is the most serious and can kill you if not caught early. The other 2 are much more common and even they can spread if you let them go. Moles that all of a sudden change in appearance can be an indicator of melanoma. It sounds like you have nothing to worry about since it was removed so early. I have had a lot of skin cancer and whenever they tell me "pre-cancerous", I feel a lot better about it.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-10-2004, 10:20 AM   #3

cruzaddict HB User

I'm new to this board,and had a visit with my dermatologist yesterday for psoriasis that he treats for me.I showed him a small brown mark on the side of my face that kind of appeared out of nowhere.He said it was a pre-cancerous "something",I don't remember what he said.But he burned it off,and said if it comes back to call him and he may have to do a biopsy.He did say it was not the bad kind.It kind of scared me.If it's not the bad kind,then why would it come back?should I be worried?

Old 06-11-2004, 06:10 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

Rick7799 HB User

All cancers are not the same. What he is telling you is it's not melanoma. It it's Basal or squama cell, it may come back if he didn't go deep enough. A biopsy would confirm it and he would then go deeper to get it all. My doctor does the same thing and most of the time it stays away. There are times though when he will do a biopsy as soon as he sees it. Don't worry about it. It doesn't sound serious. Your doctor doesn't want to scar you if he doesn't have to. Burning them off is the best way to go if possible.

Old 06-11-2004, 11:44 AM   #5

cruzaddict HB User

Dear Rick7799,
Thank you so much for your reply to my post.You made me feel so much better,you have no idea! I will keep my eye on it,to make sure it falls off and will go back if it comes back.Now that I have found one,does it mean that I will be more prone to getting more in the future?Should I start keeping an eye on new things that pop up?Thank you again for your soothing words.

Old 06-12-2004, 06:29 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(male)

Rick7799 HB User

I believe if you have one skin cancer, you are more prone to getting more. You have a handle on it though so that is a good thing. The key is to catch it early, like you did. I check my whole body at least once a week. If I see something suspicious I keep an eye on it. Just because something pops up doesn't mean it's skin cancer. so I'll watch it for a few weeks before making an appointment.

Old 06-13-2004, 03:48 PM   #7

lisa1991 HB User

Rick Do you really have basal cell cancer burned off? All of mine have been cut out. I go back in two weeks for another one to be cut out. My dr has never burned anything off. I have had 3 basal cell and 1 malignant melanoma stage 2. I have had many pre cancerous moles cut out. I am begining to look like a road map. I think I will mention burning basal cell cancer off and see what my derm. says.

Lisa

Old 06-14-2004, 12:45 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(male)

Rick7799 HB User

Yes, I do. Keep in mind I get in very early. I am sure if it is to deep, that is when they want to cut it out. I have never had one come back and I have had dozens in different areas. Some Dermatologist may want to be on the safe side and cut no matter what. I scar bad so I am better off getting them burned off as the scar is not as bad.

Last edited by Rick7799; 06-14-2004 at 12:48 PM. Reason: Spelling

Old 06-14-2004, 02:25 PM   #9

motherchuck HB User

As long as you are getting biopsies first-then having them burned off. There are some sub-types of skin cancers that should not be burned off b/c they are harder to remove. JMO. I would hate for something to be networking under my skin where I can't see it. I too have all of my cancers cut out. I know they are completely removed. I have had precancer spots burned off though.

Old 06-14-2004, 02:29 PM   #10
Veteran
(female)

bride527 HB User

So if my mole on my nose comes back bcc, is that bad? Do they just go back in and cut out until that get clear readings? Still sounds scary to me? This is new to me I haven't had anything taken off and biopsied before...thanks for info.......bride527

Old 06-14-2004, 03:23 PM   #11

lisa1991 HB User

If it comes back bcc make sure your derm. does mohs surgery. Mohs surgery is for the face and neck. My derm told me if I was going to have skin cancer basal cell was the one to have. I go in two weeks and have another one cut out. Strange none of them looked alike. I had never had anything taken off or biopsied either so it can be scary. But basal cell very rarely spreads to other parts of the body. Malignant melanoma is the one to be scared of.

Lisa

Old 06-14-2004, 04:20 PM   #12
Veteran
(female)

bride527 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisa1991
If it comes back bcc make sure your derm. does mohs surgery. Mohs surgery is for the face and neck. My derm told me if I was going to have skin cancer basal cell was the one to have. I go in two weeks and have another one cut out. Strange none of them looked alike. I had never had anything taken off or biopsied either so it can be scary. But basal cell very rarely spreads to other parts of the body. Malignant melanoma is the one to be scared of.

Lisa
That is exactly what my dermat. said to me....if you have to have skin cancer bbc is the one you want..Weird,but I am sure they are right. I am havng a plastic surgeon remove it because of where it is my derma. didn't want to touch it..I am sure he will do Mohs surgery. How far down do they have to cut to test it anyway? thanks.......bride527

Closed Thread