It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Skin Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-06-2004, 10:26 AM   #16
(female)

Bronco73 HB User
Re: Merkel Cell Cancer

Steph,
I finally got the nerve up to ask the Dr about pain and they told me that anytime body tissue is moved there is pain. MC moves tissue. But she did laugh and say, "Don't worry about it, we have LOTS of pain meds and will use them." So I am relying heavy on that, but it brings up other issues, awareness, quality of life, etc.
We are going to Co for Christmas to see his sister and her family. We are trying to soak up every minute. This weekend we shelled pecans on the front porch while it rained. Had a great time.

Ruth

Old 12-07-2004, 03:41 PM   #17
(female)

stephypoo77 HB User

Ruth, I'm still learning about this site - I'm sure rooting for you and DH!

We got (what I think) is a little good news today. The ultrasound shows no cancer in any organs. It had mestasized to the liver, but it looks like the chemo helped - and no more cancer in the liver. The strange thing is the tumor is growing 1cm per week - so tomorrow I'll ask the oncologist what he thinks about that..

Quality of life is a big issue with us as well. Pain pills are great - but prevent you from doing alot. Hang in there! Be positive - I'm trying to be !

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-08-2004, 07:59 PM   #18
(male)

bdj8000 HB User

Steph,Ruth & Mary,
I read all of your postings and i feel very close to all of you and i know what you're going through. My father was diagnosed with MC 2 months ago. It appeared like a big zit on his forehead. I had no idea what the next few months would bring or how serious this cancer is. Our doctor from UNC Chapell Hill is one who has seen this cancer the most that we know of. My dad just had a neck dissection to remove all lymph nodes and everything else. The doctor will not talk about anything other than lets wait and see what the pathology report says. He's famous quote is " i've given up guessing years ago, it doesn't do any of us any good." I'm tired of B.S safe questions...can anyone help with real life, straight up answers.
Thanks so much, and everyone is in my prayers?
Brad

Old 12-08-2004, 08:13 PM   #19
(male)

bdj8000 HB User

Mary,
Could you please send me any information that you have that might help my fathers condition. I am so confused, as well as my sisters. Thanks and you are in my unconditional prayers.
Brad

Old 12-19-2004, 07:15 PM   #20
(male)

bdj8000 HB User

Mary,
Thanks for the helpful information. My father went through a "succesful modiified neck dissection" they found 5 of 13 lymph nodes had MCC..which is ok, according to our Dr. My dad is 61 and has many other health condiitions that prohibit him from receiving chemo. The only option right now is radiation.
I'm surprised to hear that lymph nodes were not removed in your case. That only brings some hope that we have caught this cancer in time, to afford our family more time with this special person.
I know you feel the same, and i hope everything is going extremely well for you and everyone else during the holiday season. It's tough for me personally, I like to think of myself as a tough roung man, but this humbles even the most toughest of indiviiduals.
I wish everyone a merry xmas and happy new years. Please respond if you have any comments or suggestions on MCC.
Brad

Old 05-20-2005, 06:00 PM   #21
(female)

stephypoo77 HB User

Has anyone received more/new info on MCc? We just found out ( we kind of already knew) that the cancer has spread - now is not confined to just my husband's leg but there are tumors on his head, back and arms... the Dr. decided to stop radiation therapy - since my husbands lymph glands were removed the therapy caused his swelling in his leg to become so bad he could hardly walk. I'm just wondering if anyone has any information - I've searched the net... (believe me!) If it has spread to other parts of his body is it also now internal? I've already asked our oncologist and he just answers "everything is possible" Thanks, prayers are with all of you!! Steph

Old 05-28-2005, 01:05 PM   #22
(female)

stephypoo77 HB User

Hi, I'm not sure if anyone still reads this.. those who have already experienced mcc - have you heard of it mestasizing to the stomach? Besides the fact the tumors have spread, for the past 2 wks my husband has been vomiting, has constant nasuea, doesn't eat much at all but his stomach is really extended. He's been taking lanzopral, polysilina, famotodina, and today the Dr. prescribed an injection and other medicine - (he hasn't actually seen my husband - but hopefully will on Monday) Anybody who has any information would be great! I find so little and scattered info on the net.
Thanks, God Bless, Steph

Old 06-04-2005, 05:45 PM   #23
(female)

stephypoo77 HB User

Mary, thanks for your kind words - we live everyday with as many smiles as we can manage! I wish you the best for your husband.. I have a saying - "God never gives you more than you can handle" so the strong carry the heaviest burdens, we must be pretty strong since he's doling out quite a bit!! Take care, Steph

Old 07-19-2005, 10:04 AM   #24
(female)

Bronco73 HB User

Steph, you and your husband have been on my mind lately. My husband died of MCC April 27, 2005. It had begun to spread very quickly. In Feb in was on his spinal column and they removed the tumor causing the pain but we knew we were losing the battle. We concentrated on sharing lots of memories, having wonderful talks, he had college room mates from out of state visit him. Considering the circumstances, we were blessed. By March, the lungs were affected. He never had any pain that they couldn't treat and he continued to fight hard. We communicated even when he no longer had the strength to speak. My very very best to you. Ruth

Old 07-20-2005, 05:57 PM   #25
Inactive
(female)

MDA HB User

I am so sorry for the loss of your husband. Please accept my deepest sympathy.

Old 07-26-2005, 05:52 PM   #26
(female)

stephypoo77 HB User

Dear Ruth, I was never going to visit these boards again, I lost Lynn a week before his birthday (June), it went to his brain, he was in pain, but mentally not really with it. When he was able we did the same as you. Concentrated on good memories and friends and family talked to him on the phone. I never thought I'd write here again, but it has helped.. I miss him as I know you miss your husband. To the rest, never give up hope! God only gives us what we can handle and no more, regardless of how we feel. Steph

Old 08-09-2005, 10:17 AM   #27
(female)

Bronco73 HB User

Steph,
Like you I never wanted to come to these boards again, but MCC haunts me. I want to scream to make others aware of it! I am very sorry to hear of your husbands passing. Please take care of yourself - there will be bad days, I am on a run of those myself now.
To those who come here in the future - FIGHT! Fight for yourself, your families and for those who will come after you. I still believe this is something that can be overcome. It might be discouraging but don't lose hope. I wish you all well.
God Bless,
Ruth

Old 08-29-2005, 01:28 PM   #28
(female)

judiromanini HB User

My hope is that someone will respond to this. Myt beautiful mother is dying of Merkel cell cancer right now. Wwe are with hopsice, and they have given her two months. I to wish more people were informed. What were the last weeks like for any of you who have lsot someone to Merkel?

Old 09-08-2005, 07:13 AM   #29
(female)

Bronco73 HB User

I am so sorry that you are having to go through this. My husband was in hospice and died April 27. We felt blessed, his mom came up from Texas for the last weeks and we even had his 2 college roommates visit one weekend and it meant the world to him. The hospice kept him comfortable, he didn't have pain that wasn't treated quickly. For the most part he was able to communicate with us except for maybe the last 2 weeks. I believe he heard us, it was just difficult for him to communicate to us except by an eyebrow raised or maybe a hand grip. I was with him at the last and the people were always caring and gracious to us. If you have any other questions I will try to help. My prayers are with you.
Ruth

Closed Thread