It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Skin Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-14-2004, 06:10 PM   #1
(female)

stephypoo77 HB User
Merkel Cell Cancer

My husband has Merkel cell cancer, he has had his lymph nodes removed and surgery to remove the first tumor. (In Feb 2004) now another tumor has turned up and within 2 weeks went from a mosquito bite to the size of my palm, they cannot operate, they want to try chemotherapy.. My question is and I HOPE someone can help me, is my husband is so depressed - what is the time frame? Does he have years? Is the death painful? The doctors won't tell us, and if we knew maybe he would enjoy the time left, as it is, he just calls himself "dead man walking"
Please, I know there are many people out there in worse shape, but if anyone can relate to this message and help - [ removed ] I will check these boards also... thanks, I have exhausted the search on the net... I guess what I'm really looking for is someone who understands who I can talk to... thanks ... Steph

Last edited by moderator2; 09-14-2004 at 06:59 PM. Reason: please carefully review the posting rules - no emails

Old 09-14-2004, 11:51 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Belle2003 HB User
Re: Merkel Cell Cancer

I am so sorry to hear about your husband. He should never give up hope. My father's business partner was diagnosed long ago with a rare terminal lung cancer. He went to Stanford Medical University and to the Mayo Clinic. They all said he had less than 6 months to live. Well he proved them all wrong. He lived an extra 10 years and had a active and full filled life. He had the chemotherapy and along with prayer he was cured. When he did pass away it was not from the cancer.

If I were him I would go for the chemotherapy and look into these cancer prevention diets. There is a book by Michio Kushi called The Cancer Prevention Diet. You can probably check it out at your local library. The cover of the book says that it is a nutritional blueprint for the relief and prevention of disease. I have no idea of its success, but it has a section for skin cancer. It also discusses someone's success with melanoma stage IV. You might want to check the internet to see if there are other cancer diets. Like I said I have no idea if these cancer diets work where you eat nothing but healthy food. They do say you are what you eat, so I think eating healthy would only help his body fight against the cancer.

God bless you both.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-14-2004, 11:54 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Belle2003 HB User

I searched the health boards old posts for merkel cell cancer and there was one dating back to July 12, 2000. A person wrote in that a relative had merkel cell cancer and was asking for help.

A person named Sari replied that she knew someone who successfully beat it. They went to a hospital in New Haven Conneticut. (no name of the hospital) That she should contact them. That they also heard that the Sloan Ketteng in NY was good at treating merkel cell cancer too.

Old 09-15-2004, 07:02 PM   #4
(female)

stephypoo77 HB User

Thank you for replying, tomorrow he is going to talk to the Dr. about when to begin Chemo, it's just so scary, I wish (we wish) we knew what was going to happen, Merkel is so rare, I'm amazed they were able to diagnose it here. Thanks again for your time, right now I can hardly type, some days are so sad, we are such good partners, 12 years now, and now we don't know what's going to happen..... Steph

Old 09-24-2004, 10:42 AM   #5
(female)

Bronco73 HB User

I am with you! My DH was diagnosed in April, had surgery in July and is going through radiation right now. How are ya'll doing?

Old 11-07-2004, 10:04 AM   #6
(female)

stephypoo77 HB User

hi, radiation didn't help us, so he's been in Chemo now for 4 months. So far the Dr's still aren't very positive, it's mestasized into his liver... we're just hoping.

Old 11-07-2004, 03:04 PM   #7

lisa1991 HB User

I am so sorry. I will continue to keep your family in my thoughts and prayers.

Lisa

Old 11-16-2004, 04:31 PM   #8
(female)

stephypoo77 HB User

Hi Mary, thanks you've given me hope anyway. My husband's cancer has come back even after chemo and radio - I wish I was more familiar with this site, I have a hard time getting from message to message and this cancer is so rare and I have a million questions and so does my husband... we just don't know what's going to happen.... Steph

Old 11-23-2004, 05:58 PM   #9
(female)

stephypoo77 HB User

Mary, if you check this board again, I wish you the best!! Women have a better chance than men with this - thanks again, Steph

Anyone out there have any information about Merkel I would appreciate it!! Thanks in advance, Steph

Old 11-29-2004, 10:55 AM   #10
(female)

Bronco73 HB User

I am also having a hard time getting around this site. My husbands MC came back after radiation. They told us it is in the skin and we are now just chasing it. His immume system is very low since he has had a kidney transplant. That is why he isn't doing chemo. In fact, I am waiting to see if he will be going to the hospital because of dehydration. We are just waiting for the Doctors to call. I hope things are going better for you.

Ruth

Old 12-01-2004, 11:56 PM   #11
(female)

guppygirl HB User

There's an interesting book - Eat right for your Blood type by Doctor d'Amo. Has several serious case studies in it that were improved/cured by correct diet. Big massive hugs to you.

Old 12-04-2004, 03:37 PM   #12
(female)

stephypoo77 HB User

Hi, Mary, thanks for the information
Ruth - Lynn had dehydration also - he had a bad reaction to the chemo and had to have an IV , lost 16 pounds in 10 days - Even though your husband isn't in chemo, it's important he's hydrated.
Guppy, thanks for the hugs!

Old 12-04-2004, 03:48 PM   #13
(female)

stephypoo77 HB User

Hi, again,
Ruth how old is your husband? Lynn is 62. We just found out last week that he doesn't have a year left. The chemo isn't working and the dr said soon he will be in pain - so far he isn't , only tired, confused sometimes, but not in pain. I wish we knew what to expect, will he be bedridden - Since the Dr. told us the news I feel like I have a rock in my stomach - I know there is ALWAYS hope..... God bless you all!! Steph

Old 12-06-2004, 10:09 AM   #14
(female)

stephypoo77 HB User

Well, we just heard he has less than a year. The chemo isn't working - the tumor is still growing which means what has mestasized to his liver must also be. Our biggest concern now is the pain - the dr said eventually my husband will be in pain - I thought MCC was painless. Lynn is 62, Ruth how old is your husband? Steph

Old 12-06-2004, 10:14 AM   #15
(female)

Bronco73 HB User

Hi Steph!
I have got to learn my way around this place better. Wish I was home long enough to do so. DH is 47. He had a kidney transplant about 11 years ago and Doc seem to think the Rapimun (SP?) had a part in the MCC. He just got out of the hospital Friday coz of the Dehydration and the vomiting started again yesterday. He has a call in to the Docs right now. Our surgeon told us she doesn't really know how long to expect for us.
You are certainly in my prayers. I hope things turn around for you soon.

Ruth

Closed Thread