It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Skin Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-20-2004, 11:05 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

siren1024 HB User
Tiny dark spot developing in existing mole?

Hi. I am covered in atypical moles, and I have already had 3 removed. 2 of them were mildly displastic on my trunk, mid back and mid abdomen. The one on my back was probably over an inch in diameter and the one on my belly was slightly smaller. They were fully cut out and biopsied, came back as a "benign juvenile melanoma" but displastic, the kind that become malignant later in life.

I have been observing a smallish round mole on one forearm. I'm not a sun worshipper, but I am outdoors alot in the Texas and Alabama sun, and rarely use sunblock on my arms. Anyway, this mole has always been mostly uniform with some mild pigmentation spread on one side. The last time it was looked at was just a couple months ago, it seemed to be getting larger and some light pigmantation "spreading" but the doc didn't seem concerned at all. Now I have been noticing that lately it has developed a tiny black spot inside the original mole, which is more of a toffee color. The black spot in on the side where the mole is irregular. I keep looking at it, but I can't tell if the black spot is getting larger or if I'm paranoid and my eyes are playing tricks on me! I'm going to get it looked at again, but does this sound dangerous to you? Also, this mole is and always has been very flat where most of my moles are raised. The last derm I asked about it said "Oh, it's small, so I'm not worried about it. It's probably about the size of a regular nail head. Is this normal for a doctor to say? Don't worry, it's small? So we wait til it's huge and deadly to do anything about it???? What's up with that?
DD born 3/24/2005

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-20-2004, 02:24 PM   #2
(female)

BonBe HB User
Re: Tiny dark spot developing in existing mole?

had you gone to see the doctor after you noticed it was in your opinion (and that is the one that matters) larger? Don't be like me I stupidly waited till it was large,black and ugly (mr. mole) and now I had had to have biospy which came back malignant melanoma, then surgery to remove tons (I say TONS) of me and now am waiting for results to see if they indeed 'got it all' then a follow up of further treatment and a life time ban on the sun (I must shun the sun) not being a sun worshipper either but still wearing full protective clothing just from walking from the car say to the grocery store?

So I say if you are able to have it removed and checked. Only you can know if it has changed, and this is not something to play around with. And as a added feature to my tale.... neither my family doctor nor my plastic surgeon where I was sent to to have it removed in the first place, had any idea what so ever that it was a evil mr. mole. Both were shocked when the pathology came back, and next thing you know back into hospital went I for this surgery and six days after that, appointment at our cancer hospital in Toronto PDQ...now the waiting game continues.

BonBe

Closed Thread