It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Skin Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-20-2004, 08:12 AM   #1
Inactive
(female)

TJN HB User
Painful scab on nose

Hi Was wondering if anyone had something similar or may have any ideas on what could be going on with my nose, as i am getting really worried. I began to have a lot of throbbing and pain on the bridge of my nose almost a year ago. I remember waking up one morning and having a big red spot there which eventually scabbed over. I wasn't concerned about skin cancer at the time because i had the pain before i noticed any lesion appearing.

Months went by and the scab got thicker and all i would have to do was touch it and it would begin throbbing. The pain would keep me awake. A round white spot like a ring shape developed on the side of my nose as well . I put cortisol creme on the scab and it would take it away but then the scab kept growing back.

Last month i finally went to the dermatologist and showed him my nose and explained about the pain i was experiencing. The scab was just starting to grow back and he said it was just solar keratosis and froze it off . I asked for a biopsy but he refused. I also showed him the white ring shaped spot as well and he said that's nothing-- just from the sun-- "we wont touch that. "

The scab is gone from the freezing a month ago but there is a deep hole there and it is painful and itchy. Both sides of my nose are swollen and hurting really badly . I now have a red lump beside where the scab was and the white spot on the side of my nose is getting bigger. My entire nose just constantly throbs and pulsates. Am due to see him again Tuesday and am afraid he won't biopsy this. He's a cranky old man in his 70s .

Should i go elsewhere and insist on a biopsy? I always heard skin cancer wasn't painful though ? I'm in my late 20's, a real sun worshipper. I've had relatives die of skin cancer and my mother is constantly having lesions removed so i am worried. Thanks.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-20-2004, 12:28 PM   #2
(female)

BonBe HB User
Re: Painful scab on nose

first of all stop being a 'sun worshipper' I am not a sun worshipper yet I ended up with a aggressive malignant melanona and NO family history of it. It only hurt (the spot which was a huge black mole) just after about 6 months of it being noticed to have 'changed'

If I were you and was concerned like you are, and have that family history, of your mom etc, I would seek further medical advice. Do you have a primary care giver a family doctor? do you think you could get a referal to another dermatologist, one who deals in cancer and does biopsy as routine? If the site on your nose is painful, then you should not have to deal with it at all....

Keep on trying for some sort of answers that work for you. It should not hurt after this time (from the freezing)

Bonnie

Old 11-20-2004, 01:57 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

siren1024 HB User

It sounds like possible symptoms of a basal cell or squamous cell carcinoma. My grandfather had a squamous cell carcinoma arise in a keratosis. He let it go for a long time and ended up having the muscle in his arm cut into to remove it all. Do a web search for these two terms. There are some great pics and descriptions. I would insist that he remove AND biopsy that spot! Where are you, if you don't mind me asking? I was curious because I've had a couple moles removed by a cranky 70+ year old dermatologists with a horrible bedside manner. Just wondering if it was the same person. LOL. SCC and BCC's can be painful, often presenting as a sore that won't heal. They mostly are a result of sun exposure.

Anyway, I think you have to right to insist he biopsy it. You're the one paying for it!!! If not find another doc. It sounds suspicious to me.
DD born 3/24/2005

Last edited by siren1024; 11-20-2004 at 01:58 PM.

Old 11-20-2004, 02:40 PM   #4
Inactive
(female)

TJN HB User

Thanks for your replies Bonnie and Siren. Oh no , don't tell me there are more cranky 70 + year old dermatologists around. .

I am in Montreal and he was a real gem. After he sprayed my nose with the freezing stuff, he held his hand out and said "that will be 20 dollars please." I wasn't aware it cost anything-- thought Canadian medicare covered the full cost and had no money on me, just debit and credit cards. He then started screaming at me that he wanted his 20 dollars immediately--- so i drove to the banking machine and got it .

I have doubts whether it was keratosis in the first place -- and expressed my doubts to him which didn't go over well. My impression is that keratosis is just a rough scaly spot and not painful-- this was quite a thick scab and hurt a lot. Of course it could of been keratosis at one time. There is something definately wrong. This thing throbs constantly -- so much so it wakes me up at night. When it's not hurting, i can activate it by simply rubbing it. Kind of bizzare.

Think i will take your advice and walk out of there if he refuses to biopsy and get a referral to another dermatologist. Dont want to fool round with this. Sorry to hear of your melanoma Bonnie -- best wishes for a healthy future.

Old 11-21-2004, 03:47 AM   #5
(female)

BonBe HB User

Well I am not familiar at all with Quebec's health care system. I would hitail it over to Ottawa and see. But if you live in Quebec then I suppose you would not have OHIP (it being Ontario and all hahah)

I would def get a better referal. Try the hospital and see what they can come up with. Over here, dermatologists do charge for removal of skin tags, and cosmetic stuff. In fact the secretary at my chiropractor has to pay to have a cyst removed from her forhead. (unless it is a medical thing) like infected or something. MOLES well be it for cosmetic or suspicious sometimes they will charge and if it PROVES to be a cancer there is no charge oh it is strange.

I would def not deal with a cranky money grabbing grumpy guy at all. Go through the hospital somehow.

My melanoma well, I have a long road ahead of me this much I know. but the every three month check ups at Princess Margaret are indeed a 'full days outting' next time we should bring our lunch haha

Bonnie

Old 11-21-2004, 09:48 AM   #6
Inactive
(female)

TJN HB User

Surprised they charge there. I thought it was just a Quebec thing. I know my mother's dermatologist in another province doesn't extra bill.

I know a lot of people who have had melanoma , none of whom laid out in the sun. My uncle recently died of it but he had a spot behind his ear he left way too long. He didn't get it looked at until a good year after his barber mentioned to him that it didn't look right.

My aunt had it 9 years ago, a big chunk taken out of her back and is doing just fine and feeling much healthier than i am. I wish the same for you Bonnie. Will post about my dermatologist's appointment Tuesday . It may get ugly if he still refuses to biopsy . Thank you

Old 11-21-2004, 10:15 AM   #7
(female)

BonBe HB User

Yes do post your 'visit to the dermatologist grumpy man or not'

Ontario has good coverage, just that 'cosmetic is not covered' skin tags tho they are nuisance are not even guaranteed not to come back ....same goes for cysts. Moles? well they are covered here. The one thing that makes me laugh though, is this 'hospital fee' from $20.00 to $25.00 for day surgery, and all the admission forms, and paper work. So far I have not had to pay a cent to Princess Margaret, and if I do end up on Chemotherapy, it will be no cost to me.

No charge for the blood tests, the ECG's, pre-op check up by family doctor, all of that is covered. Day surgery is what is mostly done and I find that fine and dandy. It saves coming down with some horrid hosptial infection.

I hope you are able to get answers to your questions, and I hope that doctor listens to you...... or for your own sanity...(just reading your family history) should be enuff for him to at least have a biospy done.

Keep on plugging away at it.

Bonnie

Old 12-13-2004, 09:36 PM   #8
Inactive
(female)

TJN HB User
update

Thought i would give an update. I did go back to the dematologist , told him i thought the scab should of been biopsied on the grounds alone that it was very painful.

He did agree , he asked me to wait until after Christmas, and if my nose still hurt he would send me to a plastic surgeon to have it biopsied. He warned me that it would leave a noticeable scar i wouldn't be happy about though.

The lump beside my nose is larger now and the scab he froze off is now starting to grow back again . My nose still hurts and keeps me up at night. I will post after i have the biopsy and get the results. Hope the process doesn't take too long.

Closed Thread