It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Skin Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-26-2002, 08:43 PM   #1
(female)

laria82 HB User
Red face lots of moles

Hi all, I was wondering if anyone knew if having alot of moles was a bad thing? My boyfriend has alot of moles some on his back, and face also. He has some weird bumps that dont quit look like moles too. He doesnt have any insurance so he doesnt want to see a doctor. He doesnt go out in the sun much, he's had the moles for as long as he can remember. Im concerned though because there all different looking. I dont really know if people can just get skin cancer out of the blue or if moles cause it. If someone could reply with there thoughts, it would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-27-2002, 04:27 PM   #2

MelanieB HB User
There are many types of skin cancer. The type that looks like a mole is malignant melanoma and it is fatal. Contrary to what most people believe, it isn't "just skin cancer". It can spread to internal organs and kill you.

30% of melanomas start out in existing moles. 70% grow out of normal skin. It's ok that your boyfriend has lots of moles, as long as none of them are changing or growing bigger. The best thing to do is to have him do monthly self checks. Get naked and look at all the moles. If he has tons, too many to remember what they look like and if they've changed, then take pictures. If one of his moles is changing and growing, then go see a doctor and have it biopsied. If a new mole pops up that is also growing fast, then go get it biopsied.

Changes in moles that should be checked by a doctor can be remembered by the ABCD Rule.
A = Asymetry - is the mole symetrical (both sides same shape) or not? Melanomas often are not symetrical
B = Border - does the mole have a clean, sharp border, or does it look jagged and fuzzy? Melanomas often have fuzzy or jagged borders, pigment appears to leak into surrounding skin.
C - Colour - is the mole one uniform colour, or does it have several shades and/or colours? Melanomas often have several shades of brown, black, red, blue, pink, or white.
D - Diameter - is the mole less than 6 mm (size of a pencil eraser) in diameter? Melanomas are fast growing and will typically grow bigger than 6 mm.

If your boyfriend's moles have one or more of the ABCD warning signs, get them checked out by a doctor. A good website for more info on melanoma is [url="http://www.mpip.org"]www.mpip.org[/url]

Melanie

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-09-2002, 09:53 PM   #3

jimmy78 HB User
hello, what is this about insurance? is this an american thing? because i'm from australia.

Old 06-09-2002, 09:24 PM   #4

Faithwalker HB User
Jimmy insurance that we speak of is health insurance to pay doctor visits, test's,surgery,medicine,etc.
without it you don't get treatment around here.
If you are considered low income below 18,000.00 per year you can get whats called a medicaid card.
if you work; most places supply workers comp which is paid for from your salary.
the federal povery level is 18,000 a year, my families income is just barely above that at 24,000.00 so I am over the limit to get any asistance,I am considered middle class income so I am what they say "one that falls in the cracks" too may bills coming out to pay for doctors yet too much funds to get help.
I hope I have not confused you even more on this!

Old 06-23-2002, 01:39 PM   #5

mel202 HB User
Question

my friend had a really big more n his back.. about the size of a dime, and he was really really sick a few months ago.. and was in the hospital(canadian.. no insurance needed..lol) but they did lots of tests on him, and couldnt find what was wrong at all.. but then they decided to get rid of the mole. so he had surgery, and got completly better.. got his weight back up and the whole deal.. but now the mole is growing back.. and he has steriods in his blood so he wont go to the hospital.. and i am worried.. any one got any info?? what should he do?(or what should i make him do?)

Old 08-05-2002, 05:48 PM   #6
(female)

LCarter HB User
They must not have cut his mole out or it would not have grown back. If he has melanoma it will spread to the lymph nodes and is fatal if not caught early. What difference does it make if he has steriods. Is that a drug in Canada?? He should go to the hospital anyway if he wants to live. Sorry to be so straight forward.

Closed Thread