It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Skin Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-22-2003, 09:34 PM   #1

ShannyE HB User
Unhappy New mole appeared - worried

Around two months ago I found a bump of some sorts to the left of my abdomen. I didn't know what it was but assumed a hair coming through or a mosquito bite or something like that. It steadily grew and within a few weeks, one, maybe two or three it looked like a mole, with darkened pigmentation. It hasn't changed much since that, as far as I can recall anyway, I wasn't worrying about it at the time, and is 5 milimeters in diameter.

I'm 19 years old and never sunbathe, and barely even go out into the sun. When I do I rarely burn. I know getting new moles is normal but this one seems different from the moles I have, it's an even brownish sort of tan that is a lot more like my skin color than my other dark brown moles. It doesn't contrast well with the skin but I can see the outline if I look hard enough, and its round and symmetrical. It also feels like it is slightly elevated. It doesn't seem to be changing at all now, at least not nearly as rapidly as it arose.

I am going through a stressful period lately and have started worrying about a lot of things, this is one of them that has me rather anxious. Should I be worried and go see my GP or is this perfectly natural? I have had two friends, my mother and my brother look at it and they say I shouldn't be worried.

Old 01-23-2003, 12:46 PM   #2

Careyanne HB User
It would probably be best to have a dermatologist take a look at it. That way, if it's OK, it will put your mind at ease. If it's not, you can get started on early treatment.

I'm prime example of having seen something questionable (red lesion on my face) that didn't go away after 3 months. Good thing I didn't wait longer, it turned out to be precancerous. I've undergone 2 rounds of treatment within the last 4 months & hopefully that will take care of it.

It's always better to be safe than sorry!

Let us know what your doc has to say.

Best wishes!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread