It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Skin Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-20-2003, 09:47 AM   #1

Scully HB User
Post skin cancer on my nose

I saw a suspicious lesion on my nose. I had a huge squamous cell on my cheek last July and had it removed with moes surgery. I have a scar but its gone, thank god. Now my nose. I went to the derm and she took a biopsy. It was a crusty lesion on my nose. The biopsy came back squamous. I have to go for a pre-op on Thursday with the derm/plastic surgeon.

It grew back, then fell off a couple of days ago and it doesn't look like anything now. I'm totally confused. I think I'm getting a second opinion before they hack off part of my nose. What does everyone else think. Thanks, Mary

Old 07-20-2003, 12:09 PM   #2

smortimer HB User
I suspect (though I'm not sure) that even with a biopsy there is some element of potential error in the test, and you could end up with a false positive. I also think a second opinion never hurts!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-20-2003, 12:14 PM   #3

nebulous HB User
Sorry Mary,
Even though it looks fine now, it must be further excised to totally removed it. Skin cancers often heal up then crust over again intermittently. You do need the surgery. Although it is rare, squamous cell can metastasize Good luck.

Old 07-20-2003, 01:42 PM   #4

smortimer HB User
Incidentally, Mary, I didn't mean to imply that you should delay getting a second opinion. Given your prior history, and that there is one biopsy saying you have another squamous growth...well you can do the math. But a second opinion, if makes you feel better about your decision, is invaluable, JMO.

Old 07-20-2003, 04:08 PM   #5

Scully HB User
I know the false positive is wishful thinking, but this one is so different than the one I had on my cheek. That one was huge I have over a 1 inch scar from it. It never closed up. Was nasty. This one just happened to catch my eye (now that I use my 5X5 mirror). I had a feeling about it. Whats wierd is it didn't crust over. The skin is smooth. I have my pre-op on Thursday. Wouldn't hurt to call the dermo about this. Has anyone had cancer on the nose in this site?

thanks, Mary

Old 07-25-2003, 12:22 PM   #6
(female)

LoriGymnast HB User
Red face

I had skin cancer on my nose also. It was a very small lesion that wouldn't heal. I went to a dermatologist and he did a biopsy, and sure enough it was bascal cell carcenoma. I then went to a Mohs Surgeon who took what little was left that the biopsy didn't remove. It went really well, it's been one and a half years ago, and the scar is really not even noticable. I have what looks like a white mole on the center of my right cheek that I need to have looked at now. I was sun burned badly a couple of times when I was younger and I have dark brown hair and very fair skin. I wish I would have done things differently, because I don't believe I would have these problems now.

Old 07-28-2003, 01:25 PM   #7

Scully HB User
I had my surgery this morning. Very little cancer, took it out, have 3 stiches. It was a good thing I went and had it done though.

Thanks everyone.

Mary

Old 08-08-2003, 03:13 PM   #8

gailmac HB User
I would try some Cansema and save your nose...But still see a doctor.

Old 08-08-2003, 03:31 PM   #9

Scully HB User
What is cansema?

Closed Thread