It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Skin Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-19-2003, 12:56 PM   #1

JetService HB User
Post Red Spots After Tanning Bed

I know tanning beds are not the healthist thing for skin and because of that, my wife and I are being watchful (she's tanning). Her skin is very fair and she does have several moles (all were looked at and cleared for danger). We are going on vacation in the sun and she wanted to go a few minutes a day to the tanning bed prior because she felt this would actually be helpful to her skin so it doesn't get a blast of the topic sun without being 'conditioned' first. Anyway, after going just a few weeks, her legs are chock full of red spots. They do not irritate her, nor do they have any texture. She's worried she killed herself with the tanning, but surely anything cancerous wouldn't come up THAT fast...or would it? Has anyone heard of this? She is not on any meds and only using some tanning cream. Also, the spots only seem to affect her legs the most. There are a few on her chest, but that's about it. Is this a common thing (spots after tanning) and if so, what exactly is it? Thanks.

Old 05-19-2003, 02:28 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

lidia09 HB User
Cool

Hi JetService,
I had to attend a dermatology dept every 3 months for 3 years after having a malignant melanoma, so got to know quite a lot about the various moles, lumps, bumps & marks on my skin. I'm very fair skinned too - Scottish suntan Just like your wife, I found lots of these little red spots on various parts of my body - I've never used a sunbed though. Most of these 'spots' are really tiny but red, flat & round - sounds like the same sort of thing. The doc told me they were called Haemangiomas - just little harmless blood spots. However, it's impossible to know without seeing them & you're obviously a wee bit concerned so I'd say it would put both your minds at ease if your wife got them checked out.
Lidia

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-21-2003, 11:20 AM   #3

JetService HB User
It sounds like the blood spots. When you push on them they briefly disappear and then come back in a few seconds. I will look into 'Haemangiomas'. Thanks!!!!

Old 06-08-2003, 07:16 AM   #4

klb4326 HB User
I had something similar happen to me in a tanning bed. I am very fair skinned, yet wanted to try one last time for a tan. The regular tanning beds gave me burns, so they put me in the super bed, which was supposed to be a "no burn" bed. After a few sessions I noticed red spots appearing on my legs and stomach. I freaked. After doing some research, I decided it was *****ly heat (I did not have it checked out by my doctor). I quit the tanning spa and after a few days it completely disappeared.

Old 06-27-2003, 10:46 AM   #5

barrybevel HB User
Question

I just had my second 10 min session on a turbo sunbed
and my back and chest have loads of little red spots too. Did you ever find out what they were or what to
do about them?

Old 07-18-2003, 02:28 PM   #6

Common Sense Advocate HB User
There are a variety of things THIS COULD BE and depending on the persons skin it is hard to be sure without seeing it.

#1 - - fair skinned people tend to have overly sensitive skin. It reacts to UV light, heat, perfumes in lotions, and sometimes the chemicals used to sanitize the tanning equipment.

#2 - - if the condition IS *****ly heat - using shorter exposure times, in gentler lamp strength beds with good A/C or fans to cool the room is important. Eventually - the skin will build up its tolerance to the heat

#3 - - if the condition is from an allergic reaction to the actual tanning lamps (and this is possible) it is usually an all over body rash and NOT just on body contact points.

#4 - - if there is an allergy to the chemicals - it will only present on the areas that TOUCH the glass.

Both 3 & 4 will respond to an antihistamine.

#5 broken blood vessels from overexposure to UV light is a sunburn.... the selective non-raised red spots (if truly a blood blister) would be of concern to be so abundant in my opinion.

Even more of a concern to me would be the lack of input shown here of the salon personnel.... What was their take on the situation? Did they advise that using scented lotions and body sprays in UV Beds could cause irritations and extra photosensitizing? Were they helpful at all?

Pre-conditioning the skin for time in the sun is the SMARTEST thing a person can do - - - and that does not eliminate the need for an appropriate level sunscreen either.

It would be sad if the Indoor Tanning Experience was not a good one simply due to lack of communication.

------------------
Because Life Exists due to Sunlight ~ And Ignorance Exists due to lack of Common Sense.

Old 07-18-2003, 02:45 PM   #7

Diva Ree HB User
JetService,

Did your wife figure out what was going on? Were they freckles?

Old 08-11-2003, 04:25 PM   #8

JoshuaJoshua HB User
these red (hyperpigmentation) spots can easily be removed with the use of laser cosmetic surgery. The versapulse laser is very effective and painless and will eliminate any redness, or other pigmentation problem, in a few minutes. I've had it done to repair sun damage and only takes a couple weeks to make the red spots completely disapear and not return, though it may considered an expensive procedure and insurance doesn't cover cosmetic procedures such as this

Closed Thread