It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Skin Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-08-2003, 07:47 AM   #1

klb4326 HB User
Unhappy Raw Skin from Biopsy Bandages

I had a punch biopsy done two weeks ago which came back with moderate to severe atypia. They removed the entire mole (just cut around the biopsy stitches) two days ago and put in more stitches. Plus did two other punch biopsies on two other places, I'm like Frankenstein here.

Fourteen days of bandaids in one place has made my skin red and raw. Taking the last bandage off before the total removal actually peeled off some skin. I've gotten gauze pads and paper tape for the site now, but gauze seems to stick to the stitches. I was wondering if anyone can give me suggestions as to how to keep my sensitive skin comfortable. I'm going to rotate the bandages this time, to reduce adhesive in the same spot daily, but already it hurts taking the bandages off.

Has anyone else experienced this? Any ideas? My skin is getting raw quickly and I have over a week before the stitches come out.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Karin

Old 06-09-2003, 11:27 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

lidia09 HB User
Cool

Hi
Is it not possible just to leave the skin exposed to the air? I've had around 5 moles removed also stitches for other reasons & often didn't bother with a dressing as it only irritated further.
Best wishes.
Lidia

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-10-2003, 03:06 PM   #3

nebulous HB User
Yes, I was thinking the same thing as lidiajamjar, but I didn't want to say anything. I figured you were following doctor's instructions. But I always let my biopsy sites heal out in the open air. Just as long as the site can be kept clean and not exposed to any bacteria, seems to me it heals faster that way.

Old 06-10-2003, 06:43 PM   #4

motherchuck HB User
Same here-I only keep it covered when I go out. Otherwise in the house I just apply the bactroban ointment and don't used bandages. I also am allergic to the latex in some tapes and badages so I use papertape/gauze when I do cover them. This is exactly what my dr told me to do as well.......

Old 06-11-2003, 07:46 AM   #5

klb4326 HB User
Smile

Thanks to all of you for your advice. I was wondering about leaving the bandages off at home. My doctor told me to keep it covered and moist at all times, but I think even an hour or so a day without bandages would help.

I found that Curad makes bandaids for sensitive skin, and they are working better than others have.

I appreciate the advice and will call my doc and see about leaving bandages off now and then. Thanks!

Old 08-06-2003, 09:41 PM   #6

hyzenthlay HB User
i'm dealing with the wounds left by mole removal too. the skin around them are worse off than the wounds themselves. i've been alternating between different bandages and moving the tape around so it's not always over the same raw skin. right now i've got large pieces of non-stick gauze over the whole area so the raw skin gets a chance to heal too. petroleum antibiotic ointment does a good job of keeping anything from sticking.

i'm curious about ways to make them heal faster, maybe a type of food or suppliment to get more of. also, the test was positive for abnormal cells but they've all been removed. now what??

Old 08-07-2003, 05:18 AM   #7

kgray HB User
For a few months I had holes from biopsies all over me.I felt like swiss cheese! : ) But with every one of them, including the ones with stitches, I was instructed to keep covered for 24-48 hours (depnding on if they had stitches or not...stitches required the latter) but change the bandage 2x's dailey. Then after the time had passed to keep cover, I was told to leave uncovered and apply polysporin 2's a day. I was instructed that keeping them moist would prevent timely healing. Open air was recommended. Do you think that possible the instructions were confused? I just can't see how keeping them covered for so long would be good for them. But, different MD's have different methods so you should follow yours. But you may want to question them if your irritation continues.

Good luck to you!

Kathy

Old 08-07-2003, 07:48 PM   #8

hyzenthlay HB User
my doc said to keep them covered for 2 weeks. i hopped online and every site i found said keep the wound moist so it can heal. new skin forms slowly under a scab and it scars.

Old 08-11-2003, 06:52 PM   #9
Veteran
(female)

bella67 HB User
I'm going through the same thing right now. I just had surgery to have a cyst removed. No word on the biopsy yet. Anyways, for many years I was told that I have an adhesive allergy. For the past few weeks I had to have this wound covered cuz it was orignally abscessed. I was just miserable. Finally it healed and I was thrilled, then I had the surgery on my thigh to have it removed and I'm in misery again. He did use steri-strips but told me to keep it covered. He didn't give me any antibiotic ointment which I found odd. In past surgeries I've always been given that. But I'm doing what you are doing and just rotating the tape. I have bought like 4 different kinds of tape, including paper tape and I'm at a loss as to what I could use so my leg doesn't get sore and bleed. It's almost more painful than the stitches themself!! ...lol

If you find any products out there that works better, please let me know

Thanks!!

Old 08-11-2003, 08:57 PM   #10

hyzenthlay HB User
3M paper tape is the least irritating i've found although i'm still getting raw spots from it

Old 08-13-2003, 05:49 PM   #11
Veteran
(female)

bella67 HB User
I've tried that too, and yes, it still irritates!!

Thanks for the info though

Old 08-14-2003, 12:18 PM   #12

simmie HB User
I don't have any great suggestions, just wanted to say hang in there--I know exactly what you're going through. I've had lots of punch biopsies, with no reaction. Last year, I had a mole removed from my lower back. It required a bunch of stitches. Needless to say, there was lots of gauze and tape. By the middle of healing, I couldn't tolerate *any* tape on my skin; it just completely inflamed it (even the sensitive skin kind). Now, even bandaids can set my skin off. It's a little better with the cloth-like brown tapes, but not much. It's worst with the paper, non-irritating kind.

Sim

Old 09-07-2003, 09:01 AM   #13

Radman HB User
Just a thought. I too developed red skin from bandages. Come to find out, I was allergic to Latex, which is in some bandages, expecially band-aids (generic name, not necessarily BandAids). They make a Latex free bandages and bandaids.

Closed Thread