It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Skin Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-21-2005, 08:03 PM   #1
(female)

cunninj3 HB User
bleeding "bump" on my face

I just found these forums, and it looks like there's a lot of useful information here, so I'm hoping I can get some advice...

I've had this little bump on the side of my nose for a little over a year now. I've always thought it was related to my rosacea, but every now and then, it bleeds. It will be relatively small, then it will start to get bigger (not in diameter, but more "puffy", if that makes sense), then it will bleed a little bit. After it bleeds, it goes back to being just a tiny little bump.

This cycle of being small, getting bigger, and bleeding has occured about 3-4 times over the last 6-7 months or so - I can't identify a specific trigger that would be causing it (still thought it was rosacea, it could be stress-triggered, but then, I'm always stressed! )

I made an appointment with a dermatologist back in January, but of course, their office is always packed and my appointment isn't until next month (they didn't seem to be fazed enough that I've got an intermittently bleeding bump of my face to try to find an earlier appointment). I was just doing some reading on Intense-Pulsed-Light treatment for rosacea and I came across something about bleeding moles and I've got to say, I'm a bit freaked at the moment.

Anyone with any thoughts? Is this something that sounds suspicious?

Thanks for any help!
Joanne

Old 04-22-2005, 03:24 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Belle2003 HB User
Re: bleeding "bump" on my face

It could be a small basal cell carcinoma and then it again it might not. They only way to be sure is for a dermatologist to biopsy it. Believe me they cannot tell by just looking at it. My dermatologist thought that both my BCCs were nothing and when biopsyed they came back positive.

Even if it was a BCC, it is slow growing and waiting a month will not hurt. I cannot think of anything that would puff up, bleed, heal and then bleed again other than BCC. Perhaps someone else on this board will have another idea.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-22-2005, 08:04 PM   #3
(female)

cunninj3 HB User

Thanks for the reply.

I did a quick search on BCC and the some of the photos I saw looked similar to the bump I have - an almost "pearly" look (especailly since my face is usually so red), a tiny "indentation" in it... the only difference is that mine doesn't have the spidery-looking veins in it.

I know it's based on each case in particular, but in general, does removal of these lumps usually leave a lot of scarring? (I know, I sound horribly superficial, sorry - but the thought of having a huge hole next to my nose is enough to turn my stomach right now, and I'm freaked enough to think I may have skin cancer).

Thanks so much for your help.
Joanne

Old 04-23-2005, 10:16 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Belle2003 HB User

You are not superficial. It is your face, the first place people look at when they see/talk to you. You really cannot go by the pictures on the net because both of my BCCs did not look like those. The only similarity was that they were bumps on my skin and the one on my nose kept bleeding off and on. I had a BCC on the side of my nose (left side) and one under my left eye.

When I had MOHS done on my nose, I had this huge indentation. My doctor said that my skin would heal and rise up to the level of the rest on my nose. I must say that I had major doubts that the skin would rise up that much. He was right, and then he used lasers to smooth out the scar and then one to eliminate the redness. This was called reconstruction and was included in the price of the MOHS surgery.

Now my BCC was big circumference wise, unlike yours. It also went pretty deep. He had to cut four times before he got clear margins. So if your bump is like a small pimple, then you have nothing to worry about.

Besides, it could very well not be BCC. If it is BCC, only have a MOHS surgeon remove the rest.

Old 04-23-2005, 06:11 PM   #5
(female)

sharoncain HB User

This is my first post. I am 34 and had my first BCC taken off when I was 30. I had three spots on my face taken off at the same time. One on my forehead, one on my temple and one on my cheek. I had to have the holes packed and go to a plastic surgeon the next day. The one on my temple looked the smallest but ended up being the biggest. I thought it was a pimple, but it never came to a head and didn't go away after a few months. I just had two more spots taken off my back. I'm tired of this. I do not like being cut on. I am doing research on the black salve and seriously considering doing that as there is another spot the doctor wanted to biospy but I declined. My face was the worst just because they had to do reconstructive surgery and I had to go to a different doctor the next day. They did a procedure called Z-plasty, which I'm sure viewers on here have heard of. The scarring is minimal, but definetly noticeable after 52 stitches. The sooner you take care of it the better as far as having them removed. One post mentioned it being a mountain cap, with the peak just above your skin. That is a very good explanation of how BCC forms.

Last edited by sharoncain; 04-23-2005 at 06:13 PM.

Old 04-24-2005, 11:16 PM   #6
(female)

cunninj3 HB User

I'm still holding out a thin hope that it could be something related to my rosacea since some of the times it's been bleeding has been at the same time my rosacea has flared up. I doubt it, but I'm hoping.

It's interesting about the "reconstruction" part, though - first thing I thought of is that my insurance company probably wouldn't cover that! (The same insurance who denied coverage of anasthesia to a friend of mine having a rather horrific tooth extraction done - they said "local was all that was necessary - ha!) I could see them saying, "cosmetic procedures are not covered and we don't care if you have a gaping hole in your face." Maybe they would rather enjoy paying for years of therapy to repair my damaged ego, instead.

Anyway, thanks for the help - like I said, I'm holding onto a thin hope, but we'll see what happens. Interestingly enough, I could find out I have skin cancer exactly a week before I leave on vacation. At the beach. Ain't life funny sometimes?

Joanne

Old 04-25-2005, 04:34 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Belle2003 HB User

Hi Sharoncain:

I have not heard of the z-plasty you wrote about. I too have had a couple of BCCs on my face. (under eye and on nose) My doctor used two different laser treatments to minimize scarring.

Can you please tell me about the z-plasty you had? What is it used for? What was the procedure like? What did you look like immediately after it was done? What were the final results like?

The scar on my nose was a raised scar with several holes where the stitches were removed. (I had a skin graft, which did not take) For me when I had the laser treatments, he had to numb my face so I would not feel the burning of the laser. The area treated looked like I had an accident and badly skinned my nose. It scabbed up and when the scab fell off, my scar was not as pronounced as before. I can now cover the scar up with makeup, whereas before makeup really did nothing.

I am constantly checking my face for possible new BCCs. What made you realize that you had 2 BCC on your back? Did the doctor notice them or you? I have been so worried about new bumps on my face, or moles changing in appearance, that I haven't been checking for flesh color bumps on my body.

Old 05-03-2005, 07:08 AM   #8
(female)

sharoncain HB User

Sorry in taking so long to get back to you Belle2003. I had two z-plastys on my face and one area was small enough to just sew up. The dermatologist removed the cancer using MOHS surgery. He packed the holes and sent me to a plastic surgeon the next day. The plastic surgeon did my forehead first. He took a small spatula looking thing and disconnected the skin from the muscle and tissue on my skull. He then stretched the skin using another tool. This created a 'skin flap' that was large enough to cover the hole. If he hadn't done this, my eyebrow would've been raised. He did the same thing to my temple. I had 52 stitches and looked bruised and swollen afterward. The final result is excellent. I wear bangs but the scars are certainly minimal and there is no raised scaring. I would recommend going to someone that can do everything in one day. It was tough having to go back the next day and get renumbed as the surgeon had to shoot my face 30 times. He said my skin was really tough. The ones on my back were each different. One, I've had for about a year. It started to scab and bleed and then go away and finally came back and stayed. The other one popped up seemingly overnight and looked like a reddish-brown mole the size of a pencil eraser. It didn't itch or hurt. The doctor saw it when he was removing the other cancer and biopsied it. It came back positive, so I had it removed also. However, I'm beginning to wonder if I'm jumping the gun in getting these removed so quickly. It's a painful procedure and just a little grody feeling them cut part of you away. I have found two more spots on my right side of my stomach. The popped up quickly and have a slightly raised and dry feeling to them. I'm thinking of looking into the black salve for those. It's no fun. I've had five spots removed in the past 4 years. Good luck to you. Also, if you do a search online for z-plasty. There are some pictures that show exactly how it looked.

Old 05-04-2005, 12:20 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

Belle2003 HB User

Thank you for the explanation on the zplasty. I will look it up. I am so glad your procedure was so successful. If you do the black salve, let us know how it goes. Of course you should not use it on your face. It is acidic and may leave an awful scar. With the salve, how would you know if all of the cancer was gone?

I know how you feel about having to be cut all of the time. If the doctor would let me, I would cut off a ton of moles I have, even though the are not suspicious looking.

Old 05-12-2005, 08:48 PM   #10
(female)

cunninj3 HB User

Hi all,

Just wanted to post an update to my original post...

I finally had my dermatologist appointment today. My bump unfortunately isn't related to my rosacea - the derm. said it looked like a very small BCC or maybe an enlarged (or infected?) oil gland. He did a shave biopsy on it.

I'll tell ya, having novocaine injected into the side of my nose is not an experience I'd like to repeat anytime soon. As if my allergies weren't enough, the first injection made me feel like my nose was going to explode and my eyes started gushing like niagra falls. Luckily I didn't feel the second injection. I had to laugh, though - the novocain started working on my upper lip, making me wonder if I was sneering like Elvis!!! And the sight of a razor blade decending on my face was like I was in some B-horror movie!

I'm not sure how long it will take to get the results, but I'm still holding out small hope for the enlarged oil gland.

Thanks for the help - if I hadn't come here first, I would have been a lot more freaked out today!

Joanne

Old 05-13-2005, 11:22 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

kellie2 HB User

Hi Joanne - My daughter (30) and I (52) both have what you describe, and the dermatologist said it was a blood vessel and nothing to worry about. We both have them on our nose - she has one on the tip and I have two, one also on the tip and one on the side. They do exactly what yours do - they are flat and pretty much not very noticeable when not acting up, but when they do, they do what yours do, puff up and bleed, then go back to the way they were. My daughter's acts up when she's stressed, and I don't notice much of a pattern to mine, but it doesn't happen often, maybe a couple times a year. Neither my daughter's or mine have changed size, they are simply there. She did go one time to have it removed, or cauterized, or whatever it is they do, but something happened and the doctor didn't make it in, and she didn't feel like making another appt. and coming back so she just left it.
Please let us know what you find about yours.....and please don't worry.

Take care.

Old 05-13-2005, 10:10 PM   #12
(female)

cunninj3 HB User

Thanks, kellie - mine acted up only a couple of times, too - originally I thought I had it for only 6-7 months, but thinking about it, it's probably a little over a year. I can remember about 3-4 times that it acted up.

I was thinking stress, too - but I also think it was usually worse when my skin was getting dry... a couple of weeks ago it started puffing up again and I started using Chanel's Calming Emulsion (The Nectar Of The Skin Care Gods, let me tell you), and moisturizer twice a day. It seemed to have calmed down a little before my appointment yesterday but I could still tell it was a bump.

I guess I wouldn't be too surprised if it was a BCC, I had my share of sun-worshiping debauchery in my younger years (I used to let my face get sunburned on purpose to even out the redness of my rosacea - dumb)

I'm debating at the moment whether or not I want to check my messages to see if the results are in while I'm on vacation next week. I probably shouldn't, but I most likely will end up doing it anyway.

I'll post an update when I hear the news!

Joanne

Old 05-24-2005, 11:52 AM   #13
(female)

cunninj3 HB User

Hi all,

I thought I'd post an update...

I just got a call from the doctor's office, and unfortunately, my lump was BCC. I'm now being referred to another doctor in their practice with a specialty in MOHS.

It's funny - the nurse who called me seemed like she was using "BCC is slow growing" as an excuse (or explanation) for my JULY 11 consultation appointment with the MOHS guy. Yup, I get to wait 2 months just for the consultation to see what he's going to do.

I guess I was expecting it, but I'm still bummed. The area of the biopsy healed nicely (only a tiny scar) and it's nice and smooth now. It's almost like there wasn't even a lump there. I'm just hoping now that the MOHS won't have to go too deep.

Thanks for all the help
Joanne

Old 06-24-2005, 03:42 PM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

Belle2003 HB User

Did you diagnosis your bump yourself as BCC, or did a dermatologist do a biopsy that came back BCC?

Old 07-04-2005, 10:08 AM   #15
(female)

rose827 HB User
Talking Re: bleeding "bump" on my face

Hi,
I am new to this health forum and I just read about what you went through. I'm now waiting for biopsy results of a similar growth on side of my nose. Biopsy was done with the novacaine, and dermatologist went under the skin to "suck" out biopsy. I'm quite scared of what the results may be. I've had this patch for about a year. Right now I have a scab on side of nose from biopsy, which is a constant reminder that I am waiting for results...

How have you been? Did you have your procedure yet or are you still waiting. I will not wait if it is bcc or scc...and I pray it is not melanoma. My husband has heart disease, my boys will fall apart if Mom and Dad (we are both 42) are sick. i don't know..my dad has had numerous growths removed, bcc, scc as well as my grandparents. How long does it take to heal?

I thank you as your story hit home with me.

Closed Thread