It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Skin Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-13-2005, 08:41 AM   #1

donahuj HB User
Rash on Lips

For the past few months I have been getting a rash on both my upper and lower lip. It looks like very tiny little bumps (about the size of a needle point) that sometimes itch. After about a week, the skin gets very dry, then peels slightly, then is fine again. I have had a constant flu or cold or sinus infection all winter, so I don't know if it's b/c my immune system is low. I'm just wondering if anyone knows what this rash is and if I should seek treatment, or just deal with it. I found out recently that I am expecting a baby, so I want to make sure I take care of myself. Please advise. Thanks for your help!

Old 05-19-2005, 08:02 PM   #2
(female)

butterfly84 HB User
Re: Rash on Lips

Quote:
Originally Posted by donahuj
For the past few months I have been getting a rash on both my upper and lower lip. It looks like very tiny little bumps (about the size of a needle point) that sometimes itch. After about a week, the skin gets very dry, then peels slightly, then is fine again. I have had a constant flu or cold or sinus infection all winter, so I don't know if it's b/c my immune system is low. I'm just wondering if anyone knows what this rash is and if I should seek treatment, or just deal with it. I found out recently that I am expecting a baby, so I want to make sure I take care of myself. Please advise. Thanks for your help!
it sounds like it might be what i had, cheilitis. do a web search and tell me if the pictures look kind of like what youre having...

does it kind of crust up after a while?

is there anything you do when it usually happens? (mine was always sun exposure)

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-20-2005, 06:15 AM   #3
(female)

Jenmak HB User

that sounds like what I have! but I dont know what to do.. my doctor already gave me Prevex HC cream to put on it... it went away for a while and suddenly last week it's come back again... i have been dealing with this for 3 or 4 years already. Are there any solutions that you can suggest for me? Any would be appreciated greatly!

Thanks

Old 04-07-2007, 11:23 AM   #4
(female)

mseveri HB User

The first description sounds like what I have. However, I ******d cheilis and it looks a lot more serious or wide spread than what I have. I tended to notice the pattern that an out break occurs when I am around my boyfriend. I have no idea what that has to do with anything but i am looking for something to make it go away.

Old 05-09-2007, 11:27 AM   #5
(male)

Archangel_M HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by donahuj View Post
Over the past month or so I've had symptoms that sound a lot like what you're describing. In the interests of full disclosure, about a month ago I began dating a woman who gets cold sores from time to time as a result of HSV-1. I was first exposed to the virus when we kissed, because my girlfriend had a scabbed-over sore. So chances are good that if I've contracted the virus, my body may be trying to have an outbreak. But, I'm not yet absolutely certain whether or not I'm experiencing cold sore symptoms. I'll explain what I've been going through, and maybe between the two of us we can figure out what's wrong.

Symptoms: a clogging sensation in the ears, like what you'd experience on an airplane from changes in atmospheric pressure; weak tingling around the base of the nose, where the nostril ends and the rest of the face begins; red, itching sensation at the outer edges of the lips; burning sensation of the eyes, at random periods (mostly at night); what appear to be whitehead pimples at various locations around the nose, mouth and other parts of the face.

The latest round of symptoms involve red irritation akin to itching or burning at the outer edges of my lower lip, and now the outer edge of my upper lip is developing similar bumps to what you're describing (though there is yet no burning or itching there). I applied some anti-bacterial ointment to the area, and the itching/burning sensation went away and the redness had subsided somewhat. The symptoms also appear to be worse in warm and humid environments, while drier, cooler environments seem to help alleviate things. I have a doctor's appointment tomorrow, and I will ask for a blood test to determine if I've contracted my girlfriend's HSV-1.

Now, before we make any conclusions about my symptoms, I want to tell you about something that happened late last month. I was helping out with a workshop hosted by my employer, and I was unable to stay in the meeting room because every time I lingered there for more than a few minutes I would develop redness on my knuckles with that weird itching/burning sensation. When I left the room, my hands began to get better, and when I left the building to go pick up lunch for the group the symptoms disappeared altogether. This was on April 28th. I'm wondering, if my symptoms are not that of someone with a developing cold sore outbreak, whether or not I am developing an allergic rash due to some environmental factor. This week I began using a new type of bath soap, a blend of hemp seed oil and Dead Sea minerals. I haven't had any noticeable effects from the soap on the rest of my body, however, so I'm not sure if the soap is what's bothering me. Frankly, I don't know what to make of all this though I do suspect the presence of HSV-1 (which I will seek to confirm tomorrow at the doctor's), but whatever is wrong with me it is like nothing I've ever experienced before and it's only begun in the month or so since I started seeing my girlfriend.

Last edited by Archangel_M; 05-09-2007 at 01:29 PM.

Old 05-17-2007, 01:48 PM   #6
(female)

pmartistique HB User

I have had this rash come and go since I was 10 years old. Lately I have figured out that it arrives when I have a sinus infection... so I am thinking viral. I thought it was an allergy reaction to the lotion kleenex, (that I can't live without) but it sometimes comes before the nasal symptoms. The best way to describe what mine is... is that it is tiny white bumps under the skin...you can not really see it unless I stretch the skin tightly. It kind of burns and itches at the same time and my lips swell. I have tried so many things over the years and nothing has ever worked. I saw a thread about tiny painful bumps on the hands, I did have that come and go once and they seem similar to that. I have tried herpes remedies, candida, cortizone, and poision oak creams. Oh, and my lips taste metalic when I have the rash?? Sound familiar to anyone? Anyone try anything that worked?

Closed Thread