It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Skin Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-13-2005, 08:40 AM   #1
(female)

rstanley109 HB User
Mole On Lower Lip

I have a mole on my lower lip. it seems as if it just arose spontaneouly, although it could be more likley that i just noticed it one day.
it is dark, flat as the skin and a little smaller than a pencil eraser. it has been there at least 8-9 months, perhaps a little longer.

because i smoke, i thought it was just a (shameful, i know ;-) smoker's stain on my lip; as this is exactly where my cigarette has sat for around 18 years ( i am almost 45 now).

the dermatologist saw it and insists it is a mole. he is going to excise it this week. he seems to act concerned, yet does not have the best bedside manner so it is not easy to talk to him.

it does not have any of the ABCDE characteristics of melanoma, but yet....it is rather darkish and is relatively new.

i am frightened of melanoma and also concerned that there could be some mutilation of my lip. does anyone have any experiece, or knowledge, of this sort of thing just appearing on someone's lip.

p.s. i have very many moles and always have.

thank you for any input you can provide rebecca (or scared in tampa)

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-13-2005, 05:39 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Belle2003 HB User
Re: Mole On Lower Lip

I think the doctor is concerned with how new this mole is, the speed at which it is growing and the color. I would ask if the doctor is just going to take a small shave or if he is going to completely remove it. If he takes a small shave, then this should not effect the symmetry of your lips. Lip stick can easily cover up any discoloration, just as it has your mole.

I think that he is being safe. In this case, better safe than sorry. Good luck and let us know how the biopsy went and the outsome. I am crossing my fingers that it is was just an innocent mole.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread