It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Skin Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-07-2005, 05:23 PM   #1
(female)

rose827 HB User
skin cancer on nose

I was just diagnosed with bcc on side of nose. Dermatologist did a "scoop" biopsy one week ago. Last night he used liquid nitro to freeze growth. My father, and grandparents all have had skin cancer. But, how do I move on? I'm very anxious as to whether the removal of the cancer using the freezing method will remove all cancer. Right now I have a large (half-dollar) red spot on side of nose. Will it really just take the cancer away? My kids see me feeling anxious, scared, and just plain ole "not fun"...My husband has heart disease (we are both 43), and I dont' know how to deal with my fear of having bcc. Especially when the reminder is right on my face. I love the storied I've read on this site, and love the responses...I feel alone right now.
If someone could share their thoughts, it would be very helpful. Thank you, Rose

Old 07-07-2005, 08:59 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Belle2003 HB User
Re: skin cancer on nose

I have had BCC on the side of my nose too. My BCC was about as wide as 1 1/2 pencil erasers. The only way that they can be sure of complete removal is with MOHS. I am surprised that your dermatologist did not recommend you to a MOHS surgeon. With MOHS, the surgeon takes a small slice and examines it under the microscope. He continues to take small slices until he comes up with clear margins. This minimizes scarring as only the cancerous cells are removed.

My BCC went quite deep and I had to have four rounds of slicing done before I had clear margins. Then my MOHS surgeon did the reconstruction. This is where he did laser treatments after it had healed. The laser treatments smoothed out the scar and got rid of any redness. Now the color of the skin on my nose is uniform and the small scar is easily covered up by foundation.

I have not read before where a person had cancer on their face and MOHS was not done. Perhaps your BCC was really tiny.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-09-2005, 07:10 AM   #3
(female)

rose827 HB User

Hi Belle2003, I thank you for your reply to my questions. I'm quite concerned about the procedure my derm did. When he called to tell me the biopsy came back as bcc, and that I could come in to his office asap to have it frozen off, I did question whether the liquid nitro was the best procedure, given what I had read from this website, and especially your stories. He told me that no one dies from bcc, that it wasn't big enough for the mohs procedure, and why would I want a hole in my face? I quicky called my father who has had numerous bcc's removed from scalp, hands, arms, etc, and he agreed the liquid nitro was best from his own experience. Now I'm really questioning myself. Can you still have mohs if the liquid nitro was done? I want to seek another dermatologist. Though I do have much faith in this dr., I'm afraid I rushed into this for peace of mind. Thank you so much. Rose

Old 07-09-2005, 11:14 AM   #4

tai chi HB User

hi rose, I dont know enoughg still mysef being new to offer acutal medical help but I do understandd your concerns and just wanted tot let you know that your not alone , soundss like this board knowws alot! about skin cancerss and a couple of kind Gals helped me with weeek it really did help just knowwing they had been throughg it also.

hold Tight and be informeded.
Many hugss and peaec tyo you
Tai Chi

Old 07-09-2005, 12:41 PM   #5
(female)

BonBe HB User

Welcome to the boards, and I am very sorry you had to be here in the first place, but this is the place for you to learn and have others help you through this time. Feel free to ask away they will answer..

There are plenty of nice folks here who have had the similar type you had. I do not know about MOHs or BCC but will offer my support when you need it. May I suggest you search internet for all and any info on BCC and read only what you wish. information that pertains to you. You will def get a better idea.

You can also ask your doctor for a written report of the proceedure, and ask him (through an appointment I guess) to go over it with you. You clutching your copy and he has his. That is what I ended up doing.

Belle here, has had the MOHs and many others. Others also (from reading archives) have had similar to what you are describing. The most important thing is that you caught it before it would spread.

Keep Calm for your sake, and for that of your kids and hubby. No sense weeping about stuff. I would (if I were you) talk to your dermatologist and he will willingly tell you all you need to know. We just seem (I am guilty of that too) to accept and not question what we do not understand, all because they are DOCTORS well, it is your life, your body, and if you do not understand then they must find a way to make it more understandable. My surgeon (diff kind of cancer than you) said to me after wallopping me with the dx Do I have any questions? I babbled incoherently "no No NO I understand, meanwhile I am thinking how long do I have, what stage am I at? all things I learned that night, from kind friends on another board for Melanoma.

I should have just spoken with the doctor and explained I need to be understanding, though with what I was told, there was not mistaking it. BCC and SCC I do not understand. Others here I hope will help.

Bonnie

Old 07-10-2005, 07:34 AM   #6
(female)

rose827 HB User

Hi Bonnie, Thank you for your helpful advice. I honestly feel better knowing there are people on this board who feel the way I do and can offer any kind of advice. I do have my biopsy report, and did do some research, sticking to what pertains to my situation. I will speak with my doctor with the right questions to put my mind at ease. Thank God for this board! I'll admit, I do too much research on the web, thus, putting me in an anxious state. Especially with heart disease and my husband. Now to move on...be brave...enjoy life everyday...thank you so much...I hope you are well.

Old 07-13-2005, 06:53 AM   #7
(female)

ail33 HB User

I would get a second opinion but definitley try to reduce your stress over this. I had Mohs surgery on my nose on Monday and reconstruction yesterday with a plastic surgeon. It was not really that big of deal. They even used my ear for the reconstruction and I've only taken one pain pill. I'm young and this surgery was unusual for someone my age.

My point is that if you end up having Mohs please don't get too worried about. My guess is that if you get a 2nd opinion they will just want to watch that area. The goal with BCC is to not let it get out of control. Its fixable and it isn't life threatening if it is dealt with. Keep a good eye on that area for changes. I'm not just talking bleeding or raised bumps. If the skin appears to be tucked it could be returning.

Good luck and wear your sunscreen!!

Old 07-17-2005, 06:47 PM   #8
(female)

rose827 HB User
Re: skin cancer on nose-new update

Well, after reading the replies I received from this amazingly helpful site, I sought a second opionon regarding the "freezing" procedure done on the bcc on side of nose, the "sweat gland" the initial derm saw under my eye (I spotted it after the scary diagnosis of bcc). I just didn't feel comfortable w/the doctor when I questioned his procedure, before he did it ofcourse, but, I went ahead and let him do the liquid nitro. On Friday (7/15/05) I saw a derm for a complete body check as the initial dr. told me not to worry about suspicious spots he saw...they were nothing..ect...even though I am fair skinned, had numerous blistered sunburns, and have skin cancer in the family. On Friday,at Umass medical in mass, the dr. confirmed that she would have done the MOHS on my nose, but let's wait till scab heals from liquid nitro on 7/6. I had a "body map" print out of spots on my body I knew were odd. I've read that if you spot it, you can stop it. She froze a spot on my knee, told me it probably would need a biopsy if it didn't fall off (pinkish in color, don't know how long I've had this given it is summer weather and noticed it since I am wearing shorts), told me the spot under my eye is probably a sebacous keratosis, and let's watch it, come back in October...so, what I learned is to go with your gut feeling initially. She also gave me retina a cream when I told her I read about aldera cream which helps in aiding sun-damaged skin, removing ak's and sk's...but...I'm still scared...I'm pretty sure I will need the MOHS procedure on side of nose even though I had the nitro treatment. I'm scared of that. I want to thank you all for your advice, and for making me seek a second opinion. Yours truly and I'm trying to be brave!!! oh, how do you handle the fear of the sun???

Last edited by rose827; 10-06-2005 at 05:29 AM.

Old 08-28-2005, 01:31 PM   #9
(female)

carole malik HB User

Hi,
I too have basal cell carcinoma on the tip of my nose. Was misdiagnosed
for l l/2 years and treated for adult acne (I'm 69). Went through the
full course of Aldara last summer-fall. Have had second thoughts and
misgivings since. Moh's surgery is by far the more proven treatment;
however, relatively few physicians complete the long training period which
is about 2 years. Latest documented research studies point in the
direction of surgery followed by Aldara.

Next week I'm going in for another check up. My nose is itching alot
and the skin surface looks suspicious to me. Incidentally, my mother
had basal cell on her nose tip too; had common surgery with no
reoccurence for 10 yrs. plus.

Good luck! Carole M.

Last edited by carole malik; 08-28-2005 at 01:32 PM.

Old 09-05-2005, 01:29 PM   #10
(female)

rose827 HB User

Thank you Carol and I'm sorry to hear of the misdiagnosis of your basal cell. It seems we need to educate ourselves quite a bit on all our health issues and our families. I'm so glad I sought out a second opinion and will be having the mohs done on side of nose, also on growth under my eye. I've read so much about aldara cream. My dermatologist wouldn't prescribe it to me, even after what I read about sk's and ak's treatment response after applying aldara cream. It reduces them so they will not become basal cells. Hopefully I will convince her when I see her in October.

I wish you luck! Rose

Old 09-24-2005, 06:49 PM   #11
Veteran
(male)

Fizzickle HB UserFizzickle HB UserFizzickle HB UserFizzickle HB User

Rose:

I had Moh's surgery three weeks ago on a bcc on the side of my nose that extended into the cheek. The surgeon took four slices in both nose and cheek before he found clear margins. Then he used a chunk from my ear to fill the rather deep chasm he had chiseled in my nose. The whole thing has healed, and I'm quite happy with the result. He said that he used pieces from the ear because it matches the nose side color. And sure enough, he's right.

The point of that lengthy exposition is to say I've had that particular set of basal cell cancers worked on by a dermatologist several times over about a 10 year period. He had recommended Moh's surgery also. After I moved to Atlanta, and the bcc showed up again, I knew the time had come. It really wasn't a bad experience, and was nothing to get excited about. Just takes time while they fix and examine the slices.

I've had perhaps 50 confirmed basal cell cancers removed from my face, ear, neck, nose and back over perhaps 35 years, plus a smattering of squamous cell skin cancers. Basal cells are generally not fast growing, and the probability that you'll die from one seems remote. I generally have them frozen off with the concurrence of my dermatologist. They if they recur, we go the surgery and pathology route.

I also had throat cancer 8 years ago. It was was eliminated by radiation. I have bladder cancer, so far eliminated by surgery. And yet I remain quite healthy. So I have become somewhat enured to the idea of cancer.

Basal cell skin cancers are not something that should cause you to lie awake at night worrying.

Hope this helps a little.

Bill

Old 02-03-2007, 01:26 AM   #12
(male)

mags05 HB User

I have just had a bcc cut out of the side of my nose today,i also had a skin graft,it is the only possitive way to remove the cancer totally,i am in a great deal of pain but at least it has been removed.I think you should get a second opinion.

Old 02-03-2007, 01:30 AM   #13
(male)

mags05 HB User

Bill i had my second bcc removed today,it was on the right side of my nose and by far the worst,the other two were on my leg and back.I read in disbelief that you could have had so many,poor you,i am in pain and whining about my three.Good luck Bill and how are you faring now?

Old 02-03-2007, 07:09 AM   #14
Veteran
(male)

Fizzickle HB UserFizzickle HB UserFizzickle HB UserFizzickle HB User

I'm doing fine, except that my nose is red on the tip where the dermatologist did another biopsy. He took off about a 3/4 inch diameter layer of epidermis. Fortunately, there was no cancer found.

So I look like Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer. Hope that will fade sometime in the future, because Rudolph is not in season now. :^)).

Bill

Old 02-03-2007, 07:35 AM   #15
(female)

westllen HB User

Bill, you are an inspiration to us all!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fizzickle View Post
Rose:

I had Moh's surgery three weeks ago on a bcc on the side of my nose that extended into the cheek. The surgeon took four slices in both nose and cheek before he found clear margins. Then he used a chunk from my ear to fill the rather deep chasm he had chiseled in my nose. The whole thing has healed, and I'm quite happy with the result. He said that he used pieces from the ear because it matches the nose side color. And sure enough, he's right.

The point of that lengthy exposition is to say I've had that particular set of basal cell cancers worked on by a dermatologist several times over about a 10 year period. He had recommended Moh's surgery also. After I moved to Atlanta, and the bcc showed up again, I knew the time had come. It really wasn't a bad experience, and was nothing to get excited about. Just takes time while they fix and examine the slices.

I've had perhaps 50 confirmed basal cell cancers removed from my face, ear, neck, nose and back over perhaps 35 years, plus a smattering of squamous cell skin cancers. Basal cells are generally not fast growing, and the probability that you'll die from one seems remote. I generally have them frozen off with the concurrence of my dermatologist. They if they recur, we go the surgery and pathology route.

I also had throat cancer 8 years ago. It was was eliminated by radiation. I have bladder cancer, so far eliminated by surgery. And yet I remain quite healthy. So I have become somewhat enured to the idea of cancer.

Basal cell skin cancers are not something that should cause you to lie awake at night worrying.

Hope this helps a little.

Bill

Closed Thread