It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Skin Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-08-2005, 06:33 PM   #1
(female)

Panthers HB User
Spot on Leg

I have this thing on my left leg that is usually pink, sometimes shiny, sometimes bleeds/oozes for no reason, sometimes itches, sometimes raised and sometimes flat. I went to the dermatologist who says it's "scar tissue from a mosquito bite" and prescribed some triamcinolone. The problem with that is I remember it back in January, long after mosquito season ends in Iowa. I explained this to him but he's convinced it's scar tissue. It's been a few weeks and I've been using the TAC, but it's not helping. While I was at the fair, I stopped by the skin cancer screening booth and saw a derm. who was quite concerned about the area and told me I should really get it biopsied. My regular derm. is really not concerned. Who do I believe? Should I get a third opinion?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-08-2005, 07:51 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Misty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB User
Re: Spot on Leg

Definitely get another opinion. It is too risky with a spot like that. Don't wait any longer to find out what the real problem is.

I personally do not buy it being a mosquito bite scar especially since it has surface changes and itches, bad signs.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-08-2005, 08:26 PM   #3
(female)

Ga Lady HB User

I have the same thing on my leg Panther. My derm told me the same thing...There called dermafibromas. Caused from in insect bite or a cut or a scratch...in other words scar tissue. Mine started out tiny...and I kept hitting it with the razor then it grew then well.....now it's the same and I am getting on the other leg same exact place starting out the same exact way! weird huh? I wouldn't worry too much cause yours does sound like a dermafibroma. But if the other said to check it out then do so. Why didn't the skin cancer booth derm do a biopsy or was he not qualified for that?

Old 08-09-2005, 07:13 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

Rick7799 HB User

I would get it biopsied to be on the safe side. A biopsy is no big deal and it will give you peace of mind. If it is cancer, it sounds like a basil cell which is very treatable when caught early.

Old 08-09-2005, 04:05 PM   #5
(female)

Panthers HB User

[QUOTE=Ga Lady]
Quote:
Why didn't the skin cancer booth derm do a biopsy or was he not qualified for that?
As far as I know, the derm. at the booth isn't covered by my insurance. I'm trying to find one that is, but if all else fails, I'm going to go there anyway. What gets me is that it's been there since January and I don't recall there ever being a mosquito bite there.

I've had 7 moles removed and biopsied, all have been benign (thankfully). This time the derm. was "trying to save me money" so we'll see what happens in the long run.

Closed Thread