It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Skin Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-24-2006, 10:05 AM   #1
(female)

crazychris HB User
Melanoma - is there such a thing as benign

I was reading a post somewhere that said that you can either have malignant or benign melanoma. Now I am confused! My understand was that melanoma WAS malignant.
Also, does anyone know of other forums or boards that are helpful for skin cancer?
Thanks!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-24-2006, 12:37 PM   #2
(female)

Ga Lady HB User
Re: Melanoma - is there such a thing as benign

Malignant Melanoma is just that. Malignant. There is a such thing that children sometimes get that is called a Spitz Nevus and it is melanoma but without the metasizing characteristics. Because we had a three year old that was diagnosed with a Spitz Nevus. Melanoma but that it wouldnt metatisize beyond where it was. Do you have melanoma or skin cancer?

Last edited by moderator2; 04-13-2006 at 10:22 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-28-2006, 05:44 AM   #3
(female)

BonBe HB User

yes information for melanoma patients is an ideal situation. I was under the impression that the very word MELANOMA is malignant. Even if it is classified as insitu. Just do lots and lots of reasearch. Take all that you have learned and present it to your doctor in a informative manner. That is what I do.

BonnieLea

Old 04-13-2006, 09:58 PM   #4
(female)

crazychris HB User

Ooops......sorry for the faux fas! I didn't realize (or forgot) the no cross posting rule. Won't happen again!
My next question though is, having MM In Situ am I to understand that all you can do is review your body, cut out what is suspicious and wait? Do you ever get your lymph nodes tested at MM In situ? Or do you have to wait to see if it will go to stage I or more? This is for my DH and he is filled with freckles, moles, etc and it is so frustrating to both of us! Wait for three months, more off and then wait some more. I just feel that my hands are tied by waiting to see if there is more and if there is something that can be done.

Old 04-14-2006, 07:37 AM   #5
(female)

BonBe HB User

Hi and welcome.... the one thing I found out is to go to a 'molemapping' place where they take permanent records of the body and all it's moles and such. If that is unavailable or the cost too high, then another good suggestion is to just take excellent digital close ups (all in a good light, and always the same) then you have a comparison to check against.

A good regular dermatologist with experence in this, will also be able to help guide you. A dx of insitu is excellent, and really no further hassles, just the always be vigilent of your spots. Insitu means just that..... in one place, not penetrated through and thus excellent prognosis.

Read up on Melanoma and you will indeed find a wealth of information which will hlep for sure.

I hope this helps you and your husband.

Bonnie

Old 04-14-2006, 08:18 AM   #6
(female)

crazychris HB User

BoneNe
Thank you for yourvery CLEAR and concise response. It gave me peace today - thank you!
Chris

Closed Thread