It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Skin Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-01-2006, 02:23 PM   #1
Veteran
(female)

Steffers2318 HB User
Getting a mole removed

Hi, I have a mole on my back that's large (bigger than a pencil eraser), dark (though all one color), flat, and looks asymmetrical. It appeared last year after going on vacation (I used sunscreen but was still in the sun), and I'm only 20, so isn't it normal for them to still be appearing?

Anyway, I have fair skin, strawberry blonde hair, and burn easily...risk factors for cancer, right? So I wanted to go to the derm and get it removed so I don't have to worry about waiting for it to change into cancer . My question is, will they just remove it if I want them to or will they biopsy it first and then only remove it if it's precancerous?

What's having a mole removed like?

Last edited by Steffers2318; 05-01-2006 at 03:13 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-01-2006, 05:31 PM   #2
(female)

lauralu2000 HB User
Re: Getting a mole removed

i don't have the answer but I am interested to know ppls opinons. I have several I am contemplating having removed but have not gone in to discuss this with a dr as of yet. Iam 40 though and mine have been there all my life. Just that they are big and are ones that you have to watch. So I to figure maybe I just get them removed instead of watching and waiting.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-01-2006, 06:31 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

Steffers2318 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by lauralu2000
So I to figure maybe I just get them removed instead of watching and waiting.

That's what I'm saying! It makes more sense to me to remove them before they become a problem, instead of after when you already have cancer

Old 05-01-2006, 09:06 PM   #4
(female)

Ga Lady HB User

A good qualified SMART dermatologist will remove and BIOPSY anything you or he feels shouldn't be there. My daughter had 5 moles removed little over 2 weeks ago. 4 came back abnormal and 1 just irritated. Since I had melanoma, the derm felt she needed them gone. Due to my history and also shehas the strawberry blonde features just like I do. So you be the boss and tell them you want them gone. He isn't the one to tell you UNLESS of course he sees something majorly wrong he'll insist. Good luck! And God Bless!

Old 05-02-2006, 06:50 AM   #5
(female)

JS8568 HB User

Your derm. will tell you whether or not it is suspicious and if so, they will remove it. Even if the derm. says that it is fine, you can still request that it be removed for cosmetic reasons, etc. My derm. biopsies every mole that he removes. And mole removal is such an easy and fairly painless process....In my cases, I recieved a quick shot at the site of the mole and then he immediately cut it out....I didn't feel a thing, except for the quick pinch of the needle...so easy! Good Luck!

Old 05-31-2006, 05:20 PM   #6

honeybeems HB User

my ob doctor removed one on my back for me. easy and quick. he sent it in and it was fine.

Old 06-02-2006, 10:49 PM   #7
(male)

tomh HB User

My derm numbed the area with cold (nitrogen?), Then he pulled out this little scalpel and scraped the thing off. Nothing to it. Have him/her cauterize it to avoid bleeding afterwards. Best wishes with the biopsy

Old 07-07-2006, 02:01 PM   #8
(female)

loralei HB User

I have big flat moles on my upper back. They leave big scars when removed. The derm only removed one of them, because he almost refuses to do it for cosmetic reasons only. I still prefer scars to moles.

Old 07-08-2006, 08:31 AM   #9
(female)

Dee030 HB User

Yes, you should be able to have it removed completely and then they will biopsy it. I had one removed on my ribs area by my regular dr. It was a big one and now you can't even tell it was there. I'm going to have another removed by a plastic surgeon soon!

Closed Thread