It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Skin Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-01-2006, 03:56 PM   #1
(female)

westllen HB User
Melanoma, do I need an oncologist?

I had a malignant melanoma on my ear last winter, was referred to a plastic surgeon, had part of the ear removed. Then 5 months later they found a displastic nevi on the hip, pathology report came back and required a deeper, wider margin to be removed. That was all fine.

Should I see an Oncologist?

Last edited by westllen; 10-01-2006 at 03:56 PM.

Old 10-01-2006, 07:47 PM   #2
(female)

cherman HB User
Re: Melanoma, do I need an oncologist?

Yes I would go see an oncologist. What kind of Melanoma do you have? I just seen one for the first time he put me through a bunch of tests. Just to be sure everything is okay and to have something to compare it to further down the road. I have Lentigo Melanoma skin Cancer on my face. I had it removed but the oncologist wants a bigger margin so I am having more removed on October 18 by a plastic surgeon.

So I would definitely consult with a oncologist.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-02-2006, 07:56 AM   #3
(female)

westllen HB User

cherman, the melanoma on the ear was a "spitz nevi". The plastic surgeon took off a good chunk and then re-constructed the ear with skin from the head. He did a WONDERFUL job! The dysplastic one was removed with a 3" x 3" x 1/4" incision, that was done in July and has healed nicely. The one on the bottom of the foot was completely benign, but is having a hard time healing, that was done in Aug.

I am going back for another skin check at the end of the month, a couple of suspicious areas need looking after. I've been told I need to go every 3 months for skin checks, which is fine by me.

So you think I should still see an oncologist? Drs haven't said a word about seeing an oncologist.

Old 10-04-2006, 07:56 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

wakkochic17 HB User

it sounds like they are confident that they got all of the cancer when cutting the moles out.. dysplastic nevi is technically not cancer. It's a type of mole that CAN turn into melanoma (which is probably why they cut it out just to be safe), but does not have cancer cells present (I've had 4 dysplastic nevi removed and have several others on my body).

Old 10-04-2006, 08:04 AM   #5
(female)

westllen HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by wakkochic17
it sounds like they are confident that they got all of the cancer when cutting the moles out.. dysplastic nevi is technically not cancer. It's a type of mole that CAN turn into melanoma (which is probably why they cut it out just to be safe), but does not have cancer cells present (I've had 4 dysplastic nevi removed and have several others on my body).

My only concern was since I had uterine cancer 11yrs ago, and then a melanoma this yr, I was just wondering if I should seek the opinion of an oncologist, so you think I'm ok?? No need to venture off in that direction?

Old 10-06-2006, 12:56 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

wakkochic17 HB User

hey! I would doubt the two are connected.. but I can understand the concern. If you need to put your mind at ease you could always set up a consultation with one.

Old 10-06-2006, 01:02 PM   #7
(female)

westllen HB User

Wakkochic17, I think you hit the nail on the head "put my mind at ease".

My GP has been suggesting a PET scan and then if that shows something then consult with an oncologist.

I am doing this backwards?

Closed Thread