It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Skin Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-14-2007, 04:10 AM   #1
(female)

Songdiva HB User
Need advice...new user of Efudex Cream

Hi guys...yesterday I was diagnosed with Acintic Keratosis (sp?), and the derm rx'd Efudex 5% Cream to use on the areas. I have them on my forearms, upper arm, backs of hands, and some spots on my legs too but not as many. He didn't really tell me how much to use...just said to cover the area, not to worry about getting each individual spot. So how much should I be using? How can you tell if it's enough, or not enough, or too much?

I have some other questions now though! Now that I read it's actually a topical form of CHEMO...now I'm worried I'll contaminate everyone around me somehow. How do I wash with this stuff? Will it contaminate my clothes...do I have to wash them separately from my husband's clothes? What about my cats? What if they lick me or bite me while I have this stuff on my skin? How do I keep it on the backs of my hands, when I wash my hands throughout the day...especially after using the restroom? Can I not do that during treatment??? Do I have to wear gloves to work...I work in an office? I know these sound silly, but chemo is some serious stuff!! I appreciate any answers you can give me on this.

Old 02-19-2007, 07:45 AM   #2
(female)

Songdiva HB User
Re: Need advice...new user of Efudex Cream

Okay, I've had most of my other questions answered...

However, I'm still curious when I'll know for sure if it's going to work for me or not. How long before your skins starts doing what it's supposed to do? I've been using it twice a day since last Wednesday and so far, I haven't noticed anything different.

Can someone please advise me on this? An approximate time frame or something?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-27-2007, 11:01 AM   #3
(female)

Songdiva HB User

Hello? Is there anyone out there that will bother to answer? Sheesh...

Okay...apparently I must be using too much. I called today for a refill because I only have less than 1/4 of the tube left, and they're telling me it hasn't been 30 days yet so I may not be able to refill it. ***? I mean, how can you tell if you're using enough...or not enough with this stuff?

Here is what I've been doing. I have a bunch of AK's on my forearms and upper arms, a few on each hand, and a few on each leg. I've been applying about a pea size amount on each forearm, slightly less than that on upper arms, and a pea size amount on each leg, little less than that on the back of each hand. Is that too much? I've tried using less than that, but it doesn't seem to cover everything when I do. I admit a couple of times I accidentally squeezed too much out of the tube and had to wash it down the sink...so some of it was wasted. When I first got the tube it came out a bit watery, and fast.

But can anyone tell me how much I should really be using???? I don't want to poison myself!!

Old 02-27-2007, 06:56 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

Isis498 HB User

Sorry no one else has answered you. I wouldn't worry about poisioning myself with it. As far as how much to use, I would just try to cover as much of the area as evenly as possible without wasting too much. Good luck with it.

Old 02-28-2007, 06:13 AM   #5
(male)

WasFatNoMore HB UserWasFatNoMore HB User

Just now saw your post - - -

Two years I had to use it on my nose. You only rub in a little bit so that it disappears. Then your skin will get red and kinda scally after a bit. But it works and beats the heck out of surgical removal (scars!) or turning into skin cancer.

As for the chemo worry. Remember, most pharmacuticals are chemicals so I wouldn't fret too much on that.

Old 03-03-2007, 10:05 AM   #6
(female)

Songdiva HB User

Thanks for the replies, guys!!

How long does it usually take to actually start working though? I started on it February 14, and it's now March 3...but I really can't tell any difference. The doctor told me to rub it in real well, and I think I have been. It doesn't take much rubbing before it disappears into your skin. The doctor's nurse said to "apply sparingly". I guess I'm applying enough for it to work. Or am I?

Does it usually take nearly a month (or more) to start working?

Old 03-03-2007, 10:06 AM   #7
(female)

Songdiva HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by WasFatNoMore View Post
Just now saw your post - - -

Two years I had to use it on my nose. You only rub in a little bit so that it disappears. Then your skin will get red and kinda scally after a bit. But it works and beats the heck out of surgical removal (scars!) or turning into skin cancer.

As for the chemo worry. Remember, most pharmacuticals are chemicals so I wouldn't fret too much on that.
Wow...did I read that right? You had to use it for two straight years? I can't imagine having to walk around this summer in 90 degree heat wearing long sleeves and long pants!!!

Old 03-26-2007, 11:33 AM   #8
(female)

jumpinhorse HB User

I am new to using the drug too so I have done tons of research on it. I live in the Caribbean so I have to do a lot of research on the drugs here myself. A lot of them come from Brazil and have generic names. Anyway, you dont have to worry about contaminating everyone with chemo. It is a chemotherpay class drug but as long as you use the amount in regards to the size of the spot, rub it in good and then WASH YOUR HANDS, you will be fine. I have read that people can be prescribed this drug anywhere from two to eights weeks. I am on my second week and am just now getting the inflamation and stuff. Give it some time to work. This is my second round with basal cell and melanomas, plus cervical cancer and PSOS all in two years time. Geez....there should be a sport in visiting doctors for us! There is some great advice on here so take care and good luck. I hope this helps.

Closed Thread