It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Skin Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-09-2007, 06:31 PM   #1
(female)

natdonnell HB User
Question Growing Mole

Hi,
I don't have a lot of moles except for a couple tiny ones here and there. The other week I noticed that a tiny one on at the top of my butt had grown considerably. I know I'm supposed to be especially concerned if the borders are irregular, it is asymmetrical or uneven colored. This mole only used to be about 1.5 mm and now it is 5 mm in diameter, color may have changed little, it sticks out more, but other than that is pretty uniform. I would just go to a dermatologist but I don't have any health insurance because I'm a student. Any suggestions?
Thanks much

Old 04-09-2007, 07:18 PM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

Seraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB User
Re: Growing Mole

There are no suggestions that do not involve a doctor visit. Is there a clinic or local doc you can go to? That much growth in a mole is cause for alarm, IMO.(Gee, i'm glad I don't live in the US, I feel so sorry for all of you who can't afford insurance so have to take risks like this).

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-09-2007, 07:47 PM   #3
(female)

natdonnell HB User

There is a student health building on school campus that is a little cheaper, but not much. I just don't know if they have a dermatologist on staff. Yes the health care system here is ridiculous. It is weird I have always been one of those people who just never get sick and a month ago I got Shingles. My body stopped it quickly though, it was gone in two weeks and didn't even follow the dermasome it was supposed to. That visit was a good chunk of my bank account considering I'm a poor college student. The semester ends in three weeks and I might just suck it up and go in. Then they will want a biopsy, and that I cannot afford.

It's a sad story when we are forced to decide between a healthy life and being burried so deep by debt you can't shovel your way out.

Old 04-09-2007, 10:30 PM   #4
Inactive
(female)

Ladypepper HB User

Well change is something that is important to have checked. My son had a mole that was growing and it turned out to be just a regular mole. But you just never know - unless you have a biopsy.

Not having insurance is rough. I spent many years without it and my health suffered because of it. My melanoma was not diagnosed for a longer time.

I don't know about MI but in CA there is "health care" for 18 and under... being that you are a student - maybe you can get some health care thru the state. I don't know much about that but it would not hurt to check into it.

Old 04-10-2007, 10:23 AM   #5
(female)

natdonnell HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladypepper View Post
Well change is something that is important to have checked. My son had a mole that was growing and it turned out to be just a regular mole. But you just never know - unless you have a biopsy.

Not having insurance is rough. I spent many years without it and my health suffered because of it. My melanoma was not diagnosed for a longer time.

I don't know about MI but in CA there is "health care" for 18 and under... being that you are a student - maybe you can get some health care thru the state. I don't know much about that but it would not hurt to check into it.
Actually I'm going to be 23 in a few days. My college offers insurance but its a couple thousand for a year. Usually that's what I have, but financially things got a little tight for my family this past year.

Closed Thread