It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Skin Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-19-2007, 10:24 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

butrfligirl28 HB Userbutrfligirl28 HB User
Exclamation Doc says "very suspicious" for melanoma

My doctor looked at a large mole on my stomach that has worried me for months. It used to be round and all one color. Now it is larger, has irregular borders, and has several different colors in it. I am very sick today (sinus infection, bronchitus) so he said that he cannot remove it until I am well.

He said that it was very suspicious and he would need to "cut it out" and I would have several stiches. Will this be painful? How long do the results take? Due to being so sick, I scheduled it to be removed a week from Tuesday. Do I need to take the entire day off work?

How worried should I be? My Dad had melanoma when I was a child.

Thanks so much!!

Amanda

Old 10-11-2007, 07:02 AM   #2
(female)

amiee79 HB User
Re: Doc says "very suspicious" for melanoma

Hi Amanda,

I just had a suspicious mole removed a few days ago. They will most likely inject the area with a freezing agent and then remove the mole. The freezing (if done properly) will allow you to feel nothing while the mole is excised. You will have stitches that will have to be removed around 2 weeks. You should also find out the results the same time. I had mine removed behind my knee which is a very difficult place, since yours is on your stomach you should be fine to do most anything, but no heavy exercise.

Amiee

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-18-2007, 05:46 PM   #3
(female)

rrhjsh812 HB User
Re: Doc says "very suspicious" for melanoma

First off, good for you for going to see your doc. I had several suspicious looking moles, and I waited for a while to go to mine. Thankfully nothing too serious has happened - but it's definitely something you don't want to fool around with.

I've had several moles in various places removed, with the most recent ones being on my right armpit where your bra strap would start and the other right in the middle (I kid you not) of a butt cheek. (tmi?)

Both times I did not feel ANYTHING... you have nothing to worry about. It wasn't until a few hours later and definitely the day after where the one on my butt really hurt. But that's only because getting in and out of the car really put some pressure on the area. If yours is on your stomach you might have some pressure when you get out of bed and in and out of the car, but you should be fine. Good luck!

PS) They are actually really interesting to watch, if you're into that sort of thing!!

Closed Thread