HealthBoards

HealthBoards (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   Cancer: Skin (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/cancer-skin/)
-   -   How long for biopsy results? Lots of odd moles (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/cancer-skin/616211-how-long-biopsy-results-lots-odd-moles.html)

snbwcb 07-09-2008 11:40 AM

How long for biopsy results? Lots of odd moles

I had a biopsy of two moles yesterday. How long do results take? The Dermotogist said that I had too many atypical moles to biopsy all of them so they just took the two worst. They cut the mole out and stitched it wtih two stitches. Does that signal they are very concerned about it? The moles are flat, very black, and peeling. I have blonde hair/blue eyes but my skin usually tans. They were concerned cause these moles are so dark and also have smeared borders and itch/peel. Does this sound like it might be melanoma?

sudo59 07-10-2008 08:34 AM

Re: How long for biopsy results? Lots of odd moles

[QUOTE=snbwcb;3640216]I had a biopsy of two moles yesterday. How long do results take? The Dermotogist said that I had too many atypical moles to biopsy all of them so they just took the two worst. They cut the mole out and stitched it wtih two stitches. Does that signal they are very concerned about it? The moles are flat, very black, and peeling. I have blonde hair/blue eyes but my skin usually tans. They were concerned cause these moles are so dark and also have smeared borders and itch/peel. Does this sound like it might be melanoma?[/QUOTE]

I know at my Dermo's office it takes at least a week before they have any results. You did the right thing by having them checked out, now just keep your fingers crossed that everything turns out good!

G8r4evr 09-15-2008 02:55 PM

Mine Derms office takes about a week as well. I also have so many irregular moles, they usually just biopy the two most concerning....

mahnee 09-16-2008 11:33 AM

Results usually take 1 - 2 weeks, depending on the doctor and lab. When I was diagnosed, my doctor called me right away with the news and I would say it was about a week.

[I]They cut the mole out and stitched it wtih two stitches. Does that signal they are very concerned about it? [/I]

That is just basically a typical punch or scoop biopsy. I would just think that you have a good doctor who does things right. :) Punch biopsy is the best way to do a biopsy. Any mole that changes should be evaluated - possibly biopsied. Even in that case - sometimes they are atypical. In that case, the doctor will usually give you the option to remove or to leave and watch. Atypical does NOT mean that it will turn into melanoma, it just means that there is a possibility that it COULD turn into melanoma one day.

Also - black doesn't necessarily mean bad unless it was a different color to begin with. Or the shape changed.

I hope all turns out well. Keep us posted. :)

Dallas08 09-18-2008 01:36 PM

My results from my Dermatologists took only 2 days. The biopsies from my surgery at Moffitt took exactly a week.
I dont think you can tell if it's Melanoma unless it's biopsied. My Derm told me it wasn't even a mole and they would send it for a biopsy just in case. To their surprise it was Melanoma. Scared the crap out of me but in the end it wasn't that bad. Don't sweat it.