It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Skin Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-12-2008, 03:50 PM   #1
(female)

malvasia08 HB User
Basal cell tip of nose. Which treatment should I choose?

I recently had a biopsy for a lesion near the tip of my nose that turned out to be a basal cell CA. I had this spot for several years, but since three different doctors said that it didn't look like anything bad, I chose to ignore it. Bad decision on my part! Anyway, the spot became more pronounced about two months ago, and then started bleeding easily, so I knew something was up. My family doctor then referred me directly to a plastic surgeon, who examined the lesion, took a small biopsy, and told me that if it was a cancer, he would remove it via surgical excision, with frozen sections done while I was in the OR to be certain the margins were clear. This is not a Moh's surgery, but he said it would accomplish the same thing.
I am scheduled for surgery at the end of the month. Since it is impossible to determine the amout of tissue that will need to be removed, the plastic surgeon can't tell me what procedure he will perform to close the wound. Due to the location of the cancer, it sounds like a forehead flap may be necessary. This whole thing scares the heck out of me, on so many different levels. While I am confident that the plastic surgeon will be able to do a good job on reconstruction, I am wondering if I should attempt to find a doctor who does an actual Moh's. If a major reconstruction is needed, does losing less tissue (Moh's) change the outcome?
Thanks in advance to anyone who can give me advice. And, best of luck to all of you who are going through this.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-13-2008, 06:40 AM   #2
(female)

rose827 HB User
Re: Basal cell tip of nose. Which treatment should I choose?

MOHS is the way to go with a 98% cure rate. Do your research on MOHS. Find a surgeon who is MOHS certified as I did because I had a basal cell on the side of my nose which was frozen off in 2005. Now I have a reoccurance and am having MOHS on 8/1 with a consultation on 7/25 given it may be deep. I did my research and there are numerous mohs surgeons. The rule of thumb with my new derm is anything on neck, face, head needs MOHS. I didn't do my research the first time around and it came back as my new derm predicted. It is scary, I know the feeling...my father has had 4 MOHS on his nose and you wouldn't know it. You will read different stories but I guarantee everyone on this site will tell you to have MOHS. It's your nose, your face, and MOHS has the highest cure rate. Go for MOHS!!!

Closed Thread