It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Skin Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-24-2008, 07:02 AM   #1
(male)

BigL HB User
Scared of getting skin cancer

Hi all, I started tanning at a tanning salon back in May. I been going mostly once a week, sometimes once every 10-14 days. On one occasion I went twice in one week which wasnít very smart. I knew there is a risk of skin cancer if you really OVER did it with the tanning and I did not know you can die from it until I read a story about it in the paper. Now I am terrified. I am constantly checking my body for signs of anything. I had a little red bump on my nose yesterday that was so small I had to go up close to the mirror to really notice it, I scraped it off as I thought it was probably a sweat bump but now Im worried that it could be BCC. I am really losing my mind worrying.

I stopped tanning all together. I didnít feel like I was abusing my sessions as I tried to spread them out, I was not tanning multiple times a week for a pro long period. I am tan but not really dark and none of the sessions really burned me badly, but from what I understand one session can put you at risk or so. Iíve gotten sun burns in the past but I do not have a history of getting consistent sun burns, the last bad sunburn I got was 6 years ago, the last time I tannned at the salon multiple times was 3 years ago. Iíve gone years in a row without getting burned, Iíve used sun block at the beach the last few years and skin cancer does not run in my family.

All things considered about how high is my risk of possibly getting some form of skin cancer? Also, how long would it take to appear?

Thanks in advance

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-24-2008, 07:27 PM   #2
(male)

BigL HB User
Re: Scared of getting skin cancer

I almost totally sure this spot on my nose is either bcc or scc. It fits all the descriptions i've read and seen on the net. I set an appointment to see my derm on Tuesday.

I am really worried.

Last edited by moderator2; 07-24-2008 at 09:04 PM. Reason: please do not post pictures for any reason - as per the posting policy

Old 07-25-2008, 06:48 PM   #3
(female)

annie225 HB User

Hi BigL,

If you are worried you are doing the right thing by seeing your derm. My mother had a few scc on her face, my sister had one on her neck. Myself I have had two. Each one looked different. One was a dark spot that would dry out and itch. The other started out like a pimple and just grew bigger and bigger. It is hard to tell so the best thing is to go to the doctor. I was told by a derm that the damage can be done and the skin cancer not show up for 20 years or more. Try not to worry until you find out if it is skin cancer and let us know.

Last edited by annie225; 07-25-2008 at 06:49 PM.

Old 07-25-2008, 08:45 PM   #4
(male)

BigL HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by annie225 View Post
Hi BigL,

If you are worried you are doing the right thing by seeing your derm. My mother had a few scc on her face, my sister had one on her neck. Myself I have had two. Each one looked different. One was a dark spot that would dry out and itch. The other started out like a pimple and just grew bigger and bigger. It is hard to tell so the best thing is to go to the doctor. I was told by a derm that the damage can be done and the skin cancer not show up for 20 years or more. Try not to worry until you find out if it is skin cancer and let us know.
Thanks annie, my sore is very small but it is itching and burning at times. Gets very irritable in a warm room. Im sure it has to be some form of skin cancer.

What type of procedure did you get for your scc?

Also does getting bcc or scc make you more prone to possibly getting malignant melanoma? That's what im terrified about.

Thanks for the reseponse.

Last edited by BigL; 07-25-2008 at 08:53 PM.

Old 07-25-2008, 08:59 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

music47 HB User
Thumbs up Re: Scared of getting skin cancer

BigL

That's good that your going to the Derm next week. Hopefully that small sore you have is benign. Try not to worry about it till you know for sure. Please keep us updated.

Sincerely Nadine

Old 07-27-2008, 12:02 PM   #6
(male)

BigL HB User

I got back from my appointment. The doctor said the spot on my nose is nothing and gave me a prescription for the itching and burning. He then inspected all the moles on my body and spotted one underneath my right jaw bone that he said he wants to look at. He asked me how long I had it and I said I had no idea, I just discovered it myself this week searching my body for moles. Its not visible if you look at it in the mairror face to face. The doctor then told me to come in for an incision NEXT WEEK. That freaked me out and I asked the doctor is it cancer? He said he doesnt suspect its either of the 3 skin cancers and that I shouldnt be concerned. He thinks it may be an atypical mole. He said it doesnt look very bad but it doesnt look totally fine either so he wants to take a look at it and if he suspects anything he will just cut it out. I was still freaking so I asked him every which way if its cancer and he said he doesnt think so. Then, I know I shouldnt have asked him this, but I did just to gauge his response and asked him if he's 100% sure its not cancer and the doctor said he can never say that otherwise there would be no point of having a biopsy. The doctor then went on to say if he though it was serious he would do the incision today, but instead he has me coming back in next week for the incision.

Im trying to remain calm but as I did a search for atypical moles they appear to be a potential precursor for melanoma. Thus I am still worried about this and now im thinking to myself if it is melanoma how long has it been there, how about if its been there for months, or a year i could be in deep trouble.

sorry to ramble but im just not totally out of the woods yet.

Thanks for reading

Last edited by BigL; 07-27-2008 at 12:07 PM.

Old 07-27-2008, 05:42 PM   #7
(female)

annie225 HB User

Hi BigL,

The scc on my nose started out like a small pimple and in about three weeks was huge and it just kept on growing. Mine was very agressive and fast. I had it cut out, but the first time the margins came back from the pathologist unclean. They did this three more times. The last time the margins came back clean so they scheduled me for a paramedian forehead flap to repair the hole in the left side of my nose. Two weeks after surgery another scc came up. I have had to have more surgery, radiation and I am still going thru the reconstruction since it metasized into the left side of my face. My case is very rare and my doctor was shocked at how fast it had grown. The other spot was on the right side of my head (next to my eye). It was the one that was slightly raised, brown, and would dry out and itch. I had had this for about a year and when he was doing my forehead flap he noticed it and biopsided it. It also came back as scc. He cut it out, the margins came back clean and I have not had any problems in that area since. As far as your chances of getting melanoma after having an scc or bcc I really don't know. I know that this is very scary but just relax until you know what it is. I just trust in God's will and it helps me get thru it all. Good luck with your appointment.
Annie

Old 07-27-2008, 09:01 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

music47 HB User
Thumbs up Re: Scared of getting skin cancer

BigL

I am glad you went to the dr and found out that the sore is not skin cancer. Try not to worry about the new place the dr found. He will do the incision soon and then you'll know for sure.

Take care, Nadine

Old 07-28-2008, 09:39 AM   #9
(male)

BigL HB User

Thanks Nadine. What makes me feel a little better is the doctor is doing a biopsy becacuse he thinks its atypical, not cancer but ANYTHING can happen once the test is done I guess. Also like the doctor said, if he thought it was serious he would have done the incision yesterday.

Wish me luck. Thanks for responding.

Old 08-06-2008, 01:42 PM   #10
(male)

BigL HB User

I went for my biopsy yesterday. The head dermotologist at the office took the biopsy. He was not the same doctor who performed the body scan on me. I asked the doctor if he thinks the mole is serious and his opinion was similiar as the other doctor; he said he thinks it'll be okay. Then after the biospy I asked him if I should be worried and he said "not for one minute I promise. The mole just looks a little funny." That made me feel a little better.

Now, I told the head doctor that the only thing the other doctor who performed the body scan on me did not do last week was examine my scalp for any signs. He looked at my whole body but not my head. Maybe since I have rather long, dark thick hair he didnt think it was neccessary. But when i told the head doctor this he seemed a little surprised and asked me "He took a full body scan but didnt look at your scalp?" and I told the doctor yea, he didnt go through my hair or anything. The head doctor than told me when i come back next week for my biopsy report he will do a full body scan for me.

This has me worried, why does the head doctor now feel the need to do a full scan just becase the other doctor just didnt examine my head? I dont like to put down doctors, but Im now worried that maybe he missed something else on my body or misdiagnose something. I really dont want to have to go through a full body scan again. Now I have to worry for another week and maybe longer or longer if another biopsy is taken next week.

As for my scalp, I only got maybe one or two bad sunburn on my head my entire life. It didnt dawn on me that the doctor last week didnt exmaine my scalp until after the appointment. I dont feel any bumps or anything. I just want to be safe.

Please wish me luck with my biopsy and 2nd body scan. Im very worried again.

Thanks for listening

Last edited by BigL; 08-06-2008 at 01:50 PM.

Old 08-11-2008, 01:32 AM   #11
(female)

prokureur HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by annie225 View Post
Hi BigL,

Old 08-11-2008, 01:34 AM   #12
(female)

prokureur HB User

Blue above lips, not go away, skin cancer worry

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

For three months now I have blue in the area above my lip -between lip and nose. Started on the one side, got bigger and now also on other side. Almost look like bruises, but no trauma and not going away. I had many many terrible sunburns as a kid in South-Africa and I am now in my early fourties. After about 6 weeks of noticing it and watching it grow, I made an app. at a derm's office but could only get one for today-this is now 3 months ago. Turns out I see the physicians assistant who looked at it once and said I must have sneezed hard and burst a vein? gave me some cortisone cream and said I can go. I showed her a scaly area o top of my foot that is kind of red and keeps on peeling these huge pieces of skin-to that she said, o, your shoes cause it.I tried about three times to explain toherthatIdo not wear shoes that cover the top of my foot, or hardly ever, she sent someone else back in who said-your shoes cause it, here is some cream.
Am I being paranoid- I would much rather they just take a biopsy of the areaabove my lip- I kind of wanted someone who could look me over as I am blonde, very fair skin and who knows- but she hardly stopped to talk. I do not know what to do- cannot find anyone that I can see for about another two months. Maybe it is nothing- but is it possible that a burst vein could cause the growing blue on both sides? It does seem to have stopped getting bigger now but not going away.
Any response or sharing will be very much appreciated

Old 08-11-2008, 10:26 AM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

wakkochic17 HB User

I've had four atypical moles removed, none were positive for skin cancer. These are unusual moles that may or may NOT turn into cancer. The safest bet is to get them removed. With these moles doctors can't say yes or no to whether they are cancer by looking at them. Most times they come back not cancer. I continue to get more and more so I just have to get checked regularly. Also, don't panic about using the tanning booth. Yes, it ups your chances, but it doesn't guaruntee you'll ever get it either. Just be diligent about getting skin checks once a year and self-monitoring your skin for new moles or ones that change shape/color and you will be ahead of the game. The biggest key to skin cancer is to catch it early, in which case it's almost always cureable.

Old 08-13-2008, 02:56 PM   #14
(male)

BigL HB User

My Biopsy report came back good. The mole is not cancer. The doctor said I need to get periodic checkups because I may be more at risk to get it though.

Thanks all.

Old 08-14-2008, 02:46 PM   #15
(male)

BlackJAC HB User

The most important thing you can do is relax as the stress will get you before any skin cancer turns up.

I don't understand why you were freaking out when the 2nd dermatologist said you'd need a scalp exam, as he only said he'd do one because you made such a big deal of it in the first place. Seriously, try to relax and don't worry about things that haven't happened otherwise you'll ruin the best years of your life. Worry about dying when you're actually dying, not before.

Closed Thread