It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Skin Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-17-2008, 08:46 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

G8r4evr HB User
Confused and scared....Dysplatic Nevi

The Dr called and said the biopsy showed a moderate dysplatic nevi under my right breast. Of all the moles on my body, this is one I was least concerned with, so it was a bit of a surprised, but I was just relieved it wasnt melanoma...or is it?

The nurse said it was dysplatic nevi, but immediately set me up for surgery to remove it?? She assured me it wasnt cancerous (yet), but they like to play it on the safe side and remove them...does that sound right?

Im worried that it really is cancerous, they just didnt want to break it to me over the phone. Everything I read about dyplatic nevi says that are large, with varying colors and irregular borders...well this one was small, solid black and was a perfect circle. Im so confused and worried all over again.

Any words of wisdom would be greatly appreciated =)

Last edited by G8r4evr; 09-17-2008 at 08:58 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-18-2008, 12:11 AM   #2
(female)

mahnee HB User
Re: Confused and scared....Dysplatic Nevi

First of all - calm down. It is NOT melanoma. Dysplastic nevi is a medical term used for unusal moles. Nothing more - nothing less. It is an atypical mole and has the potential to one day possibly become melanoma. It doesn't mean that it will ~ just that it 'could'.

Most doctors will give the patient the option to remove an atypical mole and in my opinion it is probably best to have them excised just to remove that small possiblity.

So relax, all is under control. I wish you the best. Don't let your fears take over. (hugs)

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-18-2008, 07:15 AM   #3
(female)

sudo59 HB User

Mahnee is right, you are fine. If it were me, I would go ahead and have it removed as well. It is NOT melanoma.

Enjoy your day!

Old 04-27-2010, 09:22 AM   #4
(female)

marie888 HB User

Hello,

I just had a 'severe' dysplastic mole removed surgically after a biopsy came back so I understand your concern. I have been worried as well. My doctor told me that in my particular mole the cells were enlarged and abnormal. Not melanoma yet, but severely abnormal. I have many moles on my body and after this I will be diligent about body checks and also going to the derm every year (actually every 6 months for this first year). I would get it removed and then just watch your moles and use sun screne. I too am not happy to be in this situation as a young mom of small kids but there is not much else that can be done aside from regular body scans.

God Bless,
Marie

Old 04-29-2010, 11:58 PM   #5
(female)

creativeraven HB User

i had a mole removed off my head about a couple months ago, no cancer but they were still abnormal cells, and the dr said its a good idea to istill have it removed just in case! please know that if you get it removed its one more mole ya dont have to worry about
blessings!
XO

Old 05-03-2010, 07:22 AM   #6
(female)

sudo59 HB User

I am scheduled for a wide excision on the 17th of two moles that were shaved off and found to be dysplastic nevi. I am scared to death, what if they find out in the wide excision that its actually more than that???

Old 05-04-2010, 07:59 AM   #7
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

They won't. And the excision will take all of it out to the clear borders. I've had tons of them removed! I don't even think about it any more. Just have them off...even had to remove some stitches myself from 2 punch removals as I was out of town for long time and couldn't get back to the doctor!

Old 05-04-2010, 08:36 AM   #8
(female)

sudo59 HB User

Thank you! I am just so mad because I have been looking at the one on my leg for two years now and not liking it because it was darker than all my other moles, the Derm always said it looked okay though. I don't know why he decided to remove it this time but he did and it came back severe dysplatic! This crap just freaks me out! Doesn't help that in my 20's and 30's I was a sun worshiper! I think I want ALL my moles off now!

Titchou, how many abnormal moles have you had removed?

Closed Thread