It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Skin Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-23-2009, 06:10 PM   #1
(female)

paulcindy88 HB Userpaulcindy88 HB Userpaulcindy88 HB User
My Path report is in

After excising 5 atypical moles, and shaving 2 moles off, NO CANCER.

But one showed Dysplastic Nevi. Margins were clear. The surgeon got it all out.

From what I understand, Dysplastic Nevi is just atypical cells thay "may" have developed into melanoma? Is this correct Chele??

I have a F/U in two weeks, where at that time he will look closely at my skin to see if I have any other atypical moles that her feels I should have removed.

I know 7 is alot to have done at once. BUT, I hate moles, and I would rather get them off and deal with a scar, then a nasty looking mole.

So, with path showing Dysplastic Nevi on one out of 7, does this mean I need to watch my skin now more closely? How often should I have skin checks? Am I prone then to Dysplastic Nevi from now on?

Chele, thanks for your long response to me on the other thread. I was happy to get path report in only two days.

Old 04-27-2009, 03:40 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

Chele60 HB UserChele60 HB UserChele60 HB UserChele60 HB UserChele60 HB UserChele60 HB User
Re: My Path report is in

Congrats on being cancer-free! That's the best news!

You are correct: dysplastic nevi, or atypical moles, may - or may not - develop into melanoma. I had two removed simply because they developed suddenly post-melanoma.

Having moles removed can be a very personal decision. I had 3 removed because I chose to not keep track of any changes. Another person might not have made the same decision. Your decisions are equally personal, and I can understand that. My concern is for people who get afraid and have unnecessary procedures performed.

It sounds to me as if you might have a fair amount of moles, and if that's the case, you should probably take precautions with your skin. If your skin is fair, if you are blond or red haired, if you've exposed your skin to the sun quite a bit in the past, these are all potential risk factors. (Not that you WILL develop skin cancer) This means being smarter about being in the sun: sunscreen/sun block, hats, sunglasses, etc. Going in for an annual skin check with a dermatologist is something everyone who is at potential risk should do. It's as much a good practice as a physical exam. However, most skin cancer is found by the individual, so that means you should do regular skin checks. It's not that difficult, and really, you are the best judge of what looks odd or different on your body. And, of course, if a mole should EVER change in size, shape, or color or itch or bleed you should immediately have it checked.

Other than this, I wouldn't give it much thought. (I know, it seems overwhelming, but stuff like sun safety becomes second nature after a while) There are thousands of individuals walking around with atypical moles in this world who will never develop skin cancer. Be aware, don't be consumed.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread