It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Skin Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-01-2009, 10:43 PM   #1
(female)

8weekoldbaby HB User
dr told me i have melanoma before biopsy

I took my new baby to the dermatologist today to have a spot on her face looked at. My baby just has a funny birthmark...Thank God!! However, when I asked about a mole on my thigh the news wasnt so good.
She looked closely at it and said that it has all 5 signs of melanoma...A,B,C,D,& E. She even went as far as to say that she is almost positive its melanoma.
She told me to prepare myself but not to overthink anything until the biopsy. It isn't scheduled until two weeks from now. Im already going crazy. If she was so sure and it is so serious shouldnt we do the biopsy sooner?

Until today I had never even thought about skin cancer. I am very dark complected and have spent a lot of time in the sun. I have had sunburns before but nothing too extreme. I also use to tan in a tanning bed quite often.

I asked if it was in my family history and i found out my grandma has had other types of skin cancer but not melanoma. Also quite a few other members have died from breast cancer. (not sure if it could be related)
My mole is about the size of an eraser and is mostly brown and black. The center is slightly risen. One side of the edges are scalloped. It started as a freckle about 4 years ago.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Old 05-03-2009, 08:39 AM   #2
(female)

trychocolate HB User
Re: dr told me i have melanoma before biopsy

Congratulations on your new baby!

I think it's pretty amazing that your dr. said all that to you. Is she always so straightforward? She sounds very experienced at mole changes anyway.
Personally, I would appreciate such candor, as disturbing as it is. She wanted to stress the importance of you not missing that appoint. for sure. With a new baby, you might feel you could 'put off' a simple mole.

I am also getting a biopsy next week and it is new to me too. Is your mole quite bright in its various colors, or fairly dull, mottled, and just noticeably different from before? I'm not sure what 'scalloped' edge is; does that mean kind of peely on one side? Mine is kind of scaly so dr. gave me some ointment to clear that up so stitches don't irritate it even more. I don't notice it helping. I guess it's also a good thing if there is no scabbing or open sore either.

It's kind of hard not to worry, but at least your mole was discovered early; maybe someone with some experience will post a reply that will be encouraging for you. Why don't we post our results on here if we can?

maybe it is time for chocolate!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-03-2009, 06:17 PM   #3
(female)

Rockford2 HB User

My doctor said she knew I had melanoma before the biopsy but didn't want to say anything because it was a few days before Christmas. She called me the Friday after Christmas day to give me the news.

I waited a week before the biopsy as well. You won't know until then at what stage the cancer has spread and there is nothing you can do about it until the biopsy. I will say a prayer for both of you and my outcome was everything you could hope for with having melanoma. Stage 1b and the surgeon removed it about a week and a half after the biopsy.

If you google melanoma, you can see photos of what the cancerous mole looks like. Good luck to you both and hoping for the best~!

Old 05-04-2009, 10:06 AM   #4
Veteran
(female)

Chele60 HB UserChele60 HB UserChele60 HB UserChele60 HB UserChele60 HB UserChele60 HB User

Perhaps your doctor was trying to impress upon you that this might be serious and not to put off the appointment? I personally don't know of too many doctors that, even if suspecting melanoma, would ever tell a patient that prior to having a biopsy in hand. It can cause a lot of undue stress - especially on a new mom!

My advice? Take a few deep breaths, look at your baby, and give her a big hug and a kiss! How great is it to be a mom?!?! Enjoy this! Think about the biopsy and skin cancer when/IF there is something to think about. Don't spend a second away from your baby that you don't need to.

Biopsies are usually scheduled, and might be a week or two off. Also, be prepared that it could be another week or two before the results are in. The reason being is that usually dermatologists take a punch biopsy, which will require a couple of stitches - it's not a biggie, and you'll be fine. However, until you find out the results of your biopsy, I wouldn't spend any time "preparing." How useless is that?!?! What if it isn't melanoma? Why take time away from your baby worrying? Besides, there is nothing you can possibly do to "prepare" - believe me! (Except imagine the worse, and that just sends you into a tailspin)

As for having a dark complexion, it really doesn't matter. Your risks can be less than for some one like me, who is blond/red haired, blue-eyed, and very fair skinned. However, spending a lot of time in sun and in tanning beds are the dangers. It's the UV rays that causes the danger, not the color of one's skin. Don't forget that Bob Marley died of melanoma! And the idea that only those who sunburn can get skin cancer is not exactly true, either. Anyone who gets lots of exposure to the sun's UV rays can be in jeopardy. However, as an aside: breast cancer and skin cancer are not related.

So, the gist of my babbling is to enjoy your daughter, and in two weeks go in for your biopsy and wait for the results. But I wouldn't give it much thought, really. Not now, anyway. An atypical mole can resemble melanoma, too. I've 3 of those removed, and the one melanoma I had removed actually did look just like a mole. So, you really never know.

Old 05-05-2009, 06:34 PM   #5
(female)

8weekoldbaby HB User

Thanks for all of the advice! Im definately going to enjoy my daughter and wait until the next appt.

I have some more news to add to the table..remember i originally went to the doctor to have a spot on my 8 week old baby's face looked at. The doctor said that she thought it was just a birthmark but did a biopsy anyway. Well she called with news that my daughter has something called "linear epidermal nevus". She told me that it was nothing to worry about and that she would discuss it more at our next visit. However, being the worrier that I am, I googled it and its scary. Anyone who knows anything about this please let me know.
This has been such a long week!!!
This was my first visit with this doctor and she is very nice but im not sure about her. Should i get a second opinion?
Thanks again for all of your information and concern.
Oh, and I am
most definately having some chocalate!!

Old 05-06-2009, 11:01 AM   #6
Veteran
(female)

Chele60 HB UserChele60 HB UserChele60 HB UserChele60 HB UserChele60 HB UserChele60 HB User

Linear epidermal nevus looks and sounds a lot more scarier than it is - especially if you're the mother of a baby. If you break down the words, it makes it much more simpler: a nevus is a lesion of some type, either a growth or a mole or something such as that. Epidermal typically means skin or the layer of depth of skin. And linear means that, unlike say most moles which are typically dots, this lesion (growth) spreads out in some way. So, your baby has a lesion (mole-like growth) on/in her skin that is growing outwards. Does this make it a little less scary? Typically, these are NOT cancerous, not life-threatening, and does not affect the development of your daughter. Depending on the size and location, it might not be all that attractive - that's your judgement call. From what I understand, doctors usually wait until the child is older, and if desired, remove these for cosmetic reasons. They do no more harm physically than a mole, but they may cause a child to feel a little self-conscious. I imagine your dermatologist is going to speak to you about cosmetic surgery options when your daughter is older. I doubt it would be anything more. (Though I am certainly NOT employed in the medical field)

Good luck!

Old 05-06-2009, 07:25 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Oleander53 HB UserOleander53 HB UserOleander53 HB User

Fabulous news !!!!!! Oleander

Closed Thread