It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Skin Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-05-2009, 03:57 PM   #1
(female)

paulcindy88 HB Userpaulcindy88 HB Userpaulcindy88 HB User
Question questions? 7 more moles being removed

So, 2 weeks ago I had 7 moles removed, 5 excised and 2 shaved.(I had 3 on my back excised, 1 on my upper thigh excised and one under left breast excised) the other two were just shaved since they were not atypical, and I had it done for cosmetic reasons. This was done by a plastic surgeon.

Out of all 7 only one came back showing dysplastic nevus, and that was one on my back.

Since I have 5 more atypical moles, on my back
he thinks it is a good idea to have them excised. So in two more weeks, he will excise 5 more, and shave off two because I just want them off once again for cosmetic reasons.

He did say that I could check with my dermatologist and get his opinion on whether or not he felt they should come off, but the last time I saw my Derm, he just said "Well, everyone has atypical moles, if you want them off, get them off". Some help he was. NOT.

So I just told the Plastic Surgeon to cut them out. I am kind of surprised he has never offered a biopsy, but I suppose you are pretty much going through the same thing with a biopsy(novacaine, stitches) and then if something comes up, they have to go back and do it all over again, and cut it out.

So, his way of thinking that if one of my atypical moles came back with dysplastic Nevi, chances are good that maybe the other ones might too.

What do you think of this?

Old 05-05-2009, 05:42 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Oleander53 HB UserOleander53 HB UserOleander53 HB User
Re: questions? 7 more moles being removed

Anything they remove off of you needs to go for pathology..I had numerous moles off and all were sent for biopsy. You need to make sure and ask about it. That is just my opinion. They should never assume anything.

Let us know what happens......Oleander

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-05-2009, 06:14 PM   #3
(female)

All of my 7 moles I had removed went to pathology. Out of 7, one came back with dysplastic Nevi. The other 6 were fine.

So, this is my original post with questions:

So, 2 weeks ago I had 7 moles removed, 5 excised and 2 shaved.(I had 3 on my back excised, 1 on my upper thigh excised and one under left breast excised) the other two were just shaved since they were not atypical, and I had it done for cosmetic reasons. This was done by a plastic surgeon.

Out of all 7 only one came back showing dysplastic nevus, and that was one on my back.

Since I have 5 more atypical moles, on my back
he thinks it is a good idea to have them excised. So in two more weeks, he will excise 5 more, and shave off two because I just want them off once again for cosmetic reasons.

He did say that I could check with my dermatologist and get his opinion on whether or not he felt they should come off, but the last time I saw my Derm, he just said "Well, everyone has atypical moles, if you want them off, get them off". Some help he was. NOT.

So I just told the Plastic Surgeon to cut them out. I am kind of surprised he has never offered a biopsy, but I suppose you are pretty much going through the same thing with a biopsy(novacaine, stitches) and then if something comes up, they have to go back and do it all over again, and cut it out.

So, his way of thinking that if one of my atypical moles came back with dysplastic Nevi, chances are good that maybe the other ones might too.

What do you think of this?

Last edited by paulcindy88; 05-06-2009 at 05:22 AM.

Old 05-06-2009, 05:23 AM   #4
(female)

Question Re: questions? 7 more moles being removed

anyone have the answers to my above questions? Thanks

Old 05-06-2009, 06:35 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

I am sorry I did not understand your question. What I meant is yes they are probably okay but do not let him take those other ones off without sending them ALL to pathology to make sure that is all they are.

"So, his way of thinking that if one of my atypical moles came back with dysplastic Nevi, chances are good that maybe the other ones might too. What do you think of this? "

My own personal experience . I just had a Squamous Cell Skin cancer removed at my insistance that 2 Doctors said " that looks fine". My brother had a melanoma on his shoulder, a mole since childhood and they thought is was "just a nevus". I had a nevus that they were "sure it was a melanoma" removed and they scared the crap out of me, took pictures of it and had another Doctor come look. It was just a nevus. Soooo each Doctor has their own personal experience with skin cancers and moles. All are not equal in their knowledge. People who have numerous moles need to be looked over thoroughly.

I am now under the care of MD Anderson Cancer Center and my treatment was delayed 2 months due to Doctors that were too cocky.....soooo sorry if I sound jaded. Also get copies of all of your path reports.

Good luck and I know you will be fine......Oleander

Old 05-06-2009, 11:31 AM   #6
(female)

Oleander

Thank you You know, a friend of mines husband was just diagnoses with Esophogeal Cancer and was referred to MD Anderson. They live in Nevada. I hear that hospital is top notch??

Anyways, thanks for the advice. My doctor, who is a plastic surgeon, seems to know more that the dipstick I had for a dermatologist.

I am hoping that all 5 come back clear, and no dysplatic Nevus again(or God Forbid Melanoma or any Cancer).

Out of the last 7 moles I had removed, only 1 was dysplastic.
Oh, and he sends EVERYTHING to pathology, even the shaved ones.

When my husband had just skin tags removed by him, they also went to Pathology.

Thanks again

Old 05-06-2009, 02:20 PM   #7
Veteran
(female)

Chele60 HB UserChele60 HB UserChele60 HB UserChele60 HB UserChele60 HB UserChele60 HB User

Has your plastic surgeon informed you that a dysplasic nevi = atypical mole? They are one and the same. And has your plastic surgeon also informed you that that something like 1 in 10 people have at least one dysplastic nevi (atypical mole)? Most people have several. Frankly, the advice of your dermatologist is correct: (just about) everyone has atypical moles, and if you want them removed, get them removed. I don't know of too many dermatologists who would remove 12+ moles from some one who does not have a history of skin cancer. I suspect a plastic surgeon would be willing to remove that many and more.

If you want moles removed for cosmetic reasons, hey, that's cool. It's your body, do as you want. And yes, your plastic surgeon should be sending ANYTHING s/he removes from your body out for a biopsy. Even if what is being removed is for cosmetic reasons.

I would just urge caution in slicing up your skin. I HAVE had a melanoma, and I've had a total of 6 moles/melanoma removed and biopsied. But whatever you do, I wish you luck.

Old 05-06-2009, 07:23 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Paulcindy,

MD Anderson seems to have their act together but I watch all very closely .
So far I am very happy with them. I am only a 1 hour flight over to Houston so that is great for me.

I have a local Dermatologist here who I really like and he knows all about Arsenic related Bowen's disease which I have and my father had... I go to him every 3 months and I see him next week.... I have to see a Oncologist Gynecologist since my Skin cancer is where the Sun don't shine....LOL..My margins are positive so I have to have close monitoring.

I ended up at MD after 2 Gyne Oncs failed to impress me.....all a long story but it took 25 days for the original surgeon to get me my Path results which were carcinoma.... there is a 4% error in path reading so with my family history of Melanoma ( Father and brother) I did not want to chance that so I had MD Anderson re re my first 2 biopsies....the results were more severe than originally thought but I hope to be just fine..

Let us know how your results come out. What made you want them off to begin with? Cosmetic or abnormal looking?

I will say a prayer for your friend....pretty rough cancer to have. MD is a good place for him.

Oleander

Old 05-07-2009, 08:57 AM   #9
Veteran
(female)

Chele60 HB UserChele60 HB UserChele60 HB UserChele60 HB UserChele60 HB UserChele60 HB User

Oleander ~

You have lived so many people's worst fears: misdiagnosis and missed results. It really is frightening to know that, in this day and age, people can experience such things in the "modern" medical world! I admire your fortitude and tenacity in fighting for YOU, not letting anything stop you. You really are an inspiration for us. Thank you!

Old 05-07-2009, 03:39 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thanks Chele,

It is against the rules for me to post my background but it is ironic this would all happen to me I see you live in California. I was born and raised in Southern Cal...

I have always been a patient advocate and now I have to be my own Advocate. People are human so always check after them. Oleander

Old 05-07-2009, 05:32 PM   #11
(female)

You have been through alot!! I admire your courage, and coming here to share your stories.

I have always had lots of moles. When I was 16, I had an ugly looking one in front of my right shin. I was really embarrassed by it. I would wear knee socks........LOL(Can you tell this was in the 80's??). At that time I was underage, and I begged my dad to let me get it off. I saw a pediatric surgeon and he agreed to take it off, along with one on the back of my left calf and one on my upper back. Stating to the insurance company "Atypical". Pathology then came back normal. I had it done strictly for cosmetic.

As the years went by, you started to hear more and more about skin cancer. Because I have SO may moles, all sizes, shapes, colors, it was really difficulult for me to keep track of which ones looked bad, or not. And I could not see anything on my back.

So, I decided 2 years ago to see a dermatologist to have him do a sking check. He was very blase about it. Almost to the point of "Why are you bothering me" attitude. He looked me over, started pointing, and said "Yup, this one is atypical, and so is this one, and this one, and this one and this one etc etc"................"Everyone has atypical moles. If you want them off, get them off. If you don't, I will see you back in a year".

So that was 2 years ago. My MIL, who is a nurse said "Why fix something that isn't broken, you might be looking for problems".

So I forgot about it.

Fast forward to this year, and a good friend of mine was diagnosed with Basal Cell Carcinoma, and it had me thinking once again about my moles. I was now older (41), and I did spend a lot of time in the sun as a child.

My husband was going in to see a Plastic Surgeon to have some skin tags removed from his eyelids. So I figured, since he was going, and my friend used this guy to remove her BCC on her forehead, I would get a consult done.

He looked at me last month and said I had about 10-15 atypical moles, mainly on my back. He suggested to get 5 of the worse looking ones excised, and if I wanted any more off for cosmetic reasons, he woould just shave them off.

After the procedure two weeks ago, everything he took went to pathology.
I asked him, besides Melanoma(Which he said he was not concerened about, but my feeling is one cannot tell by looking with a naked eye), worst case scenario he said would be Dysplastic Nevi.

I asked him, if the path results came back positive for dysplastic Nevus/Nevi, what then?

He responded "Then there will be some lifestyle changes for you. Stay out of the sun, SPF. And you and I will become very good friends."

So when path came back with one mole out of 7 showing dysplastic Nevi, I assumed he would not recommend any more excisions of my moles.

At my follow up appt on Monday, he did say that I could follow up with my dermatologist and have him look at the other 5 on my back that were atypical, and see if he thought they should be excised. And if not, to see him every 6 months for a skin check. OR have them removed.

I chose to have them removed because I am impatient and I worry. I assume if those atypical moles are excised, the cancer cannot appear in those moles because they are now cut out and gone.

When I told the plastic surgeon to just remove them he did say "Good Choice."

The 5 excisions will all be done on my back. I hate those moles anyways. And I feel better safe then sorry?? And I guess rather scars then possible cancer someday.

There is no history of Melanoma in anyone in my family. Not even Basal Cell or any other type of skin cancer.

So anyways, I hope I have made the right decision. My surgery for the mole removal is scheduled for the 19th.

Cindy

Old 05-07-2009, 07:08 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

Cindy, I think you made a great decision......if they are gone you do not have to worry and it is not like you are having a major surgery...

Let us know how you do and what the Path report shows......

Sincerely. Oleander

Old 05-08-2009, 03:17 PM   #13
(female)

No, it is minor and really no big deal. I few days of discomfort and that is all. Besides, I can suck it up and have hubby wait on me..........LOL

I will let you know how things turn out. Thanks

Cindy

Old 05-12-2009, 03:59 PM   #14
(female)

vaino HB User
Unhappy Re: questions? 7 more moles being removed

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulcindy88 View Post
You have been through alot!! I admire your courage, and coming here to share your stories.

I have always had lots of moles. When I was 16, I had an ugly looking one in front of my right shin. I was really embarrassed by it. I would wear knee socks........LOL(Can you tell this was in the 80's??). At that time I was underage, and I begged my dad to let me get it off. I saw a pediatric surgeon and he agreed to take it off, along with one on the back of my left calf and one on my upper back. Stating to the insurance company "Atypical". Pathology then came back normal. I had it done strictly for cosmetic.

As the years went by, you started to hear more and more about skin cancer. Because I have SO may moles, all sizes, shapes, colors, it was really difficulult for me to keep track of which ones looked bad, or not. And I could not see anything on my back.

So, I decided 2 years ago to see a dermatologist to have him do a sking check. He was very blase about it. Almost to the point of "Why are you bothering me" attitude. He looked me over, started pointing, and said "Yup, this one is atypical, and so is this one, and this one, and this one and this one etc etc"................"Everyone has atypical moles. If you want them off, get them off. If you don't, I will see you back in a year".

So that was 2 years ago. My MIL, who is a nurse said "Why fix something that isn't broken, you might be looking for problems".

So I forgot about it.

Fast forward to this year, and a good friend of mine was diagnosed with Basal Cell Carcinoma, and it had me thinking once again about my moles. I was now older (41), and I did spend a lot of time in the sun as a child.

My husband was going in to see a Plastic Surgeon to have some skin tags removed from his eyelids. So I figured, since he was going, and my friend used this guy to remove her BCC on her forehead, I would get a consult done.

He looked at me last month and said I had about 10-15 atypical moles, mainly on my back. He suggested to get 5 of the worse looking ones excised, and if I wanted any more off for cosmetic reasons, he woould just shave them off.

After the procedure two weeks ago, everything he took went to pathology.
I asked him, besides Melanoma(Which he said he was not concerened about, but my feeling is one cannot tell by looking with a naked eye), worst case scenario he said would be Dysplastic Nevi.

I asked him, if the path results came back positive for dysplastic Nevus/Nevi, what then?

He responded "Then there will be some lifestyle changes for you. Stay out of the sun, SPF. And you and I will become very good friends."

So when path came back with one mole out of 7 showing dysplastic Nevi, I assumed he would not recommend any more excisions of my moles.

At my follow up appt on Monday, he did say that I could follow up with my dermatologist and have him look at the other 5 on my back that were atypical, and see if he thought they should be excised. And if not, to see him every 6 months for a skin check. OR have them removed.

I chose to have them removed because I am impatient and I worry. I assume if those atypical moles are excised, the cancer cannot appear in those moles because they are now cut out and gone.

When I told the plastic surgeon to just remove them he did say "Good Choice."

The 5 excisions will all be done on my back. I hate those moles anyways. And I feel better safe then sorry?? And I guess rather scars then possible cancer someday.

There is no history of Melanoma in anyone in my family. Not even Basal Cell or any other type of skin cancer.

So anyways, I hope I have made the right decision. My surgery for the mole removal is scheduled for the 19th.

Cindy

Hi there are new to this whole thread thing but I agree people who don't have moles just don't get how much we dont like them. I had a question for anyone that can help me please (sorry didn't know how to get to just ask a quetion without reply to an answer not so good on computer) But I had 4 mole shaved off by a G.p Apperanace medicene doctor who has a nice clinic and good reputation. It has been 4 weeks since the scabs have come off and they were shaved off honestly two of them almost look exactly the two that were small but right bside eac other sort of look stiil raised but still quiet red and differendt in colour. She said to wait there months for that one to completely heal and it may flatted and should fade??? But doesn't seem to be so far. I really just wanted them flat you know? So has anyone had a similar experince or do you think I should go to a dermotologist or plastice surgeon so damm exspensive though or go back to her in 3 months like she said and would do again free of charge. I hate them I think they look ugly and just want them gone.

Closed Thread