It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Skin Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-18-2009, 06:04 PM   #1
(female)

nekobito HB User
Mole started feeling rough and a bit itchy

I've had a couple of moles on my chin for at least a few years now, only visible when I tilt my head back a little bit. A few days ago, I noticed that one of them felt a little rough to the touch. Today it feels itchy and when I look in the mirror straight (without tilting my head), I can see (and feel) that it it raised a little bit. The mole used to be darker like the other one, but now it has less color (more skin-tone) and looks a bit shiny... It's only about 2 mm in diameter and I'm Asian. I read a lot online this afternoon, but it's only making me more worried and I'm freaking out a little bit. Should I go see my family doctor first to get her opinion?? Or should I go straight to a dermatologist? I don't know which one to go to. I searched online for dermatologist in Eugene, OR area, but I couldn't find many and not too much information are shared as to who would be the best... Any suggestions?

Last edited by nekobito; 05-18-2009 at 06:04 PM.

Old 05-19-2009, 05:42 AM   #2
(female)

paulcindy88 HB Userpaulcindy88 HB Userpaulcindy88 HB User
Re: Mole started feeling rough and a bit itchy

I always say, whnein doubt, see a dermatologist.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-19-2009, 12:55 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

Chele60 HB UserChele60 HB UserChele60 HB UserChele60 HB UserChele60 HB UserChele60 HB User

Your best bet is to get this checked out by a physician. It's most likely nothing, but it's best to get that peace of mind.

As far as who to see? That's really up to you and what you feel comfortable with. If you like your family doctor and trust him/her, that can be a good place to start. If you feel after seeing him/her, and they do not refer you, you can always tell them you would like to see a dermatologist and ask that one be referred. I know when I was dermatologist-shopping, the hardest thing I could find was a dermatologist that actually took an interest in skin cancers. You will find a LOT of dermatologists today are more interested in Botox and Juvenal injections and such - lots of money in that instead of skin cancer. Typically, if you visit a dermatologist who is associated with a hospital (performs surgeries), that might be the best way to go, but also more expensive. If it were me? My first instinct would be to have my family doctor refer some one.

Good luck!

Old 05-19-2009, 02:45 PM   #4
(female)

nekobito HB User

Thanks for your replies. That's exactly what I was seeing when I was searching for a dermatologist!! There were more info on plastic surgery/procedure, but little to no info on skin cancer screening or other skin problems.. I think I will make an appointment with my family doctor and ask her opinion first, and maybe get a referral if she thinks it's necessary. This morning, I noticed another tiny mole (< 1mm) on my ear that's raised and is itchy... this one appeared more recently (within the last several months). I'm scared of biopsy, so if I don't have to do it, I don't want to...
Thanks again...

Old 05-19-2009, 04:06 PM   #5
(female)

paulcindy88 HB Userpaulcindy88 HB Userpaulcindy88 HB User

Nothing to be scared about for biopsy. They will numb you and you do not feel a thing. Really. And you can go about your day.

Closed Thread