It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Skin Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-21-2009, 09:59 PM   #1
(female)

gannazac HB User
What happens if you burn off a mole??

My dad went to the doctor in 1994 and had a mole biopsied he was told the mole was not cancer but was the type that could turn into cancer then he Burned it off. a few years later the mole came back in the same spot. dad didn't have it checked. he went in to a differant doctor in April of this year and was told all was well but he was really tired all the time. In August he began peeing Black urine he went to the doctor they started running test and told him his Liver was failing {he never drank or used drugs } they kept running test we told them about the mole but they said it didn't look like a melanoma mole but they would look at it later this was in Mid-November a week later his skin turned dark blue we took him to the ER and he was admitted we had a Liver biopsy done and thats when they found the Melanoma it was in stage 4 at this point he lived only 3 weeks after that.
I want to know if this could be becouse the first doctor burned off the mole instead of cutting it out the mole was right over hs Liver

Old 12-23-2009, 09:31 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

Chele60 HB UserChele60 HB UserChele60 HB UserChele60 HB UserChele60 HB UserChele60 HB User
Re: What happens if you burn off a mole??

I am so sorry to hear about your father. What a devastating situation to contend with! My own father passed away due to complications of prostate cancer in November 1991, and I know how tough it can be.

unfortunately, your father's story is not all that uncommon when it comes to melanoma. This beast is extremely aggressive and is one of the toughest cancers to fight. Back in 1994, when your father first had this mole looked at and it was determined to be atypical (usually the term used for moles that could become cancerous), did the doctor do an actual biopsy? I'm asking, because normally if there is a biopsy done, the mole is not "burned off" or "frozen off." At least, not that I'm aware of. Also, did the doctor indicate to your father the need for any further check-ups? If the mole was atypical, and the result of a biopsy negative, the doctor may have felt there was no need for any follow-up.

When the mole returned, did your father say if he noticed anything odd about it? Size? Shape? Color? It is not uncommon for people, who have had a mole removed and receive a clean bill of health, to dismiss any further lesions. Some people become overly cautious, and have doctors check out every mole and freckle. Others will state the doctor said they were okay, and anything else that appears is simply "nothing to be concerned about."

However, and this is very important, did the doctors in August state the mole that had returned was what is called a "primary?" This means, basically, where melanoma starts. If the mole that returned was indeed melanoma, that would be terrible. YET! There are times when a person can be diagnosed with stage IV melanoma, and the primary is never found. When my melanoma was diagnosed, my doctor shared with me that a gentleman had been in just before me with odd symptoms. When tests were conducted, it was discovered he had stage IV melanoma, but there was no primary. Unfortunately, it was very advanced, and nothing could be done. That is how scary this beast is.

I know when a loved one passes from cancer we often want to try to figure out if there was any way it could have been detected early and treated. And I'm thinking this is what you are searching for. Unfortunately, in your father's case, it very well might not have, and I know that can be unbearable to hear. Your father may have taken every precaution, may have visited a dermatologist every year faithfully for skin checks, and the end result could still have been the same. And I am so profoundly sorry for that.

For you, though, this should be cause to take positive action. Having a parent who has passed from melanoma puts you at greater risk. Using sunscreen, practicing sun safety, and getting regular skin checks with a dermatologist should now be high on your priority list.

Again, I am so sorry for the loss of your father at this time, and my prayers to you and your family for peace and comfort at this most difficult time.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-23-2009, 01:01 PM   #3
(female)

gannazac HB User
Re: What happens if you burn off a mole??

Yes there was a biopsy done in 1994 but the doctor still burned it off when the mole returned dad said it was small then grew bigger he wasn't concerned mainly becouse he was never sick a day in his life he didn't like to go to the doctor either .in Aug. when he showed it to the dr. she wasn't worried about the mole she said it didn't look like a MELAnoma mole her concern was his liver and why it was failing.
I went to the Doctor today and had My moles checked she said the one on my right thigh was the only one she would worry about but for now just keep a watch on them and hope that they don't change .... I hold onto the hope that dad was wrapped in the arms of god and that is why he didn't suffer any longer than he did and wasn't in the pain most fel with cancer.
Thank you for your kind words they mean alot

Closed Thread