It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Skin Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-06-2010, 04:25 PM   #1
(female)

NJMom18 HB User
Dark Spot Inside Shave Biopsy Hole - Other questions too

My first question is that I had a shave biopsy of a tannish/pink flat spot, about 1cm done 2 days ago. There is a tiny dark spot in the middle of the wound. Is that ok? DOes it mean the mole was deep?

Secondly...I've been seeing derms for 5 years (41 yr old female). I've had that spot for at least since that first check and I think it's been the same size. My 1st derm said no biggie. Then we moved and I had a full body check 10 months ago and new derm said all was fine. 7 weeks ago I had a spot removed on my thigh that was Bowens - I had a full skin exam at that point and another mole removed for biopsy which came back benign. This was done by a nurse practicioner in the new derm's office. I went back for followup and I asked since I had the Bowens if my three other irregular (meaning larger but not concerning) moles could be removed. She lifted my gown to remove one of the three, saw my mole and started asking rapid fire quesitons - how long has that been there - claimed if it was there she would have noticed it - it's bigger than the one she was going to remove, etc. She did say that it had regular borders and was symmetrical, it was just a bit large (as I said, 1cm) and kind of pink and it's flat. I asked if it was cancer and she said "you never really can tell until a biopsy." So now I'm scared to death.

Since my Bowens they've reassured me over and over that if I come in every 6 months for checks I'll be fine - they'll find and remove anything bad. Now I'm faced with this. She obviously wasn't concerned 7 weeks ago when she did a full check,and 2 other derms in the past 1.5 years said it wasn't anything. Is it possible that they could have all missed it? I did call 1st derm and they said it's been 1cm since 2006.

I'm just freaked...any advice?

Last edited by NJMom18; 01-06-2010 at 04:28 PM. Reason: spelling

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-11-2010, 09:36 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

Chele60 HB UserChele60 HB UserChele60 HB UserChele60 HB UserChele60 HB UserChele60 HB User
Re: Dark Spot Inside Shave Biopsy Hole - Other questions too

I really wish there was a more standard way of determining which moles/lesions to remove from patient's skin than just individual speculation! It gets so frustrating and confusing sometimes.

I understand the concern you are going through now, and I know it's difficult, by my personal mantra has always been: Don't worry until there is actually something to worry about. If this mole was the same size 3 years ago, and it had regular borders and was symmetrical, then chances are it's nothing. Wait for the biopsy results to come in. Some moles can be quite large (I've had a couple that were sizeable and demanded they be removed because I just "knew" they were trouble - turned out, they were fine.)

Fact is, one derm will see something, and say it's nothing. Another derm will see the same thing, and say it needs to be removed. Who ends up being correct? I'd say it's about 50/50. Skin cancer, unfortunately, is not precise. I had 3 moles that I just knew would turn into melanoma - had all the A B C D E's. They were removed and they were normal. When I did have a melanoma, it didn't have any of the A B C D E's - go figure.

Doctors do miss things, yes. I've known people who have suffered because of this. But I've also known people who have had doctors slicing into their skin needlessly. It goes both ways. My strong suggestion to people is to know their own body, do regulary monthly skin checks (ALL over), and get to know every single inch of their own skin. That way, when a doctor asks them about a certain mole or lesion, the patient can give information regarding length of time, size, changes, color, etc.

As for now, you have a waiting game. When the biopsy comes in, that will be your determination of your next step, if there is one.

Good luck!

Closed Thread