It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Skin Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-19-2010, 01:26 PM   #1
(female)

happywallace HB User
Bowen's disease

Hi all
Has anyone heard of this illness which I found out from the web is pre-squamos cell. My dermatologist sent me a letter to say I have it - 5 weeks after the appointment - why didn't she tell me/point them out while I was there? Private medicine in UK is rubbish. I haven't started the cream she recommended 'cause I don't know where the marks are; the only mark I can see is a scar (I think) from BCC. Has anyone in UK seen a dermatologist they can trust, I need one in Berkshire, Wiltshire or Hampshire - thanks.

Old 01-24-2010, 04:47 AM   #2
(female)

NJMom18 HB User
Re: Bowen's disease

I just had a spot of this removed 2 months ago. She biopsied it at my appointment, but she couldn't tell what it was until the path report came in. She did tell me 1) it is very slow growing - even said I could wait a month to have it removed if my schedule was crazy; 2) was a form of squamous cell, but entirely contained in the top level of the skin; and 3) meant that I should have regular skin exams (every 6 months) so that they could catch and remove anything else. A lot of people treat this with topical medicine - there has to be some way you can get someone at that office to show you where to apply the cream! I have heard that if you use the topicals the spot can get sore, so you want to find out exactly where to apply it.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-24-2010, 04:35 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Oleander53 HB UserOleander53 HB UserOleander53 HB User

Happy Wallace,

I have Bowen's disease, my father also had it. I have done a ton of research on this.

I am being seen at MD Anderson Cancer Center in Houston Texas in the USA here.

I know a ton about it. It can be caused by being exposed to Arsenic, tars and pesticides. There is some thought that the HPV virus can effect it also. It is a skin condition that is supposedly aggravated by the sun unfortunately. It also causes Squamous Cell Carcinomas and other skin cancers. There was a very high Arsenic level in the city water where I grew up in southern California. I am sure this is why my family has suffered with it.

My father had it and he had numerous SCC's and BCC's. He also had 6 melanomas from age 48 to 93. He died from his last melanoma. He stayed out of the sun and used FU5 cream. They biopsied him alot and did many minor surgeries on him. He had to be looked over ever 1 to 3 months. He lived a long normal life with it. Died at 94.

I got a SCC and Bowen;s on my inner labia last year. A dime sized lavender blue spot came up and it was Squamous Cell Carcinoma Grade 3 and Bowen's disease. Yes you can get skin cancer down below!!!! No one talks about it.

I then had a basal cell off my arm, and 6 other SCC's on my face, chest, had, and arm. Some other spots tested positive for Bowen's. I am HPV negative. I have had a cervical swab and all biopsies test negative.

Both of my brothers have had a melanoma, scc's and Basal cells.

The Doctors at MD Anderson say they will just remove the areas of suspicion. Since I am HPV negative they say Aldara is not a good choice. I have not used the FU5 ( topical Chemo) yet. I am opting to have any spot surgically removed.

I have been encouraged to take Vit D 2000 to 4000 units a day for cancer prevention. I limit my sun and eat a diet high in Veggies and fruit. I have increased my exercise and try to avoid stress.

I hope that helps you. There is a ton of misinformation out on the internet.
I had to search and search for this information. I have gotten 3 different opinions from Dermatologists, Gyne Oncologists and Oncologists.

It is a skin disease that can cause skin cancers. Some people will tell you it is an old term for SCC's but that is not so. Bowen's is a different cell type. It is a skin disease.

Hope this helps and please email me anytime.

Oleander

Old 01-25-2010, 03:01 AM   #4
(female)

happywallace HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJMom18 View Post
I just had a spot of this removed 2 months ago. She biopsied it at my appointment, but she couldn't tell what it was until the path report came in. She did tell me 1) it is very slow growing - even said I could wait a month to have it removed if my schedule was crazy; 2) was a form of squamous cell, but entirely contained in the top level of the skin; and 3) meant that I should have regular skin exams (every 6 months) so that they could catch and remove anything else. A lot of people treat this with topical medicine - there has to be some way you can get someone at that office to show you where to apply the cream! I have heard that if you use the topicals the spot can get sore, so you want to find out exactly where to apply it.

Old 01-25-2010, 03:07 AM   #5
(female)

happywallace HB User

Thanks for your reply. I don't intend to go back to that dermatologist; I think she lacks experience (and without judging) I am suspicious of why she would tell me by letter that I have Bowen's several weeks after the appointment. She should have told me at the time and explained the different treatments. I don't know how to find anyone reliable on the NHS or private do you? My G.P. is in the dark, he doesn't know what Bowens is or looks like, have tried another G.P. but he missed my BCC so no faith in him. They all have so little knowledge that I actually feel sorry for them but they take skin cancer too casually, am quite worried.

Old 01-25-2010, 03:10 AM   #6
(female)

happywallace HB User

Thanks for that - too much mis-information at the G.P.'s surgery too. It's a struggle to get any help in the UK; your dad did well to live until 94, think I will probably die of worry.

Old 01-25-2010, 08:51 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

My Dad went to a skin cancer Dermatology clinic at the VA hospital because he was a veteran of WW2. They were great there and knew alot about it.

I have had to search and search to find my information. I have an older Dermatologist who I see in between my visits to MD Anderson. I like him and he knows so much about Bowen's disease.

Cover up while out in sun......
Take Vit D
Be viligent about skin check ups at least every 3 months.
Try not to worry....it hurts your immune system.

Oleander

Old 02-13-2010, 07:06 AM   #8
(female)

NJMom18 HB User

So Bowens is a skin disease? Oleandar - you seem to know so much...I had one of these removed 4 months ago, and 2" from it I have another spot that looks "weird" to me. It's oval and a tiny bit raised and sort of skin colored/pink. I noticed it because the cells that are usually in skin aren't visible on the spot - it's smooth. I think I have a few of these spots on my legs...just slightly discolored and smooth.

i guess my question is ... am I just going to get a ton of this? And does it start as AK or just grow in as Bowens? Meaning can they freeze it off if I catch is quickly enough or will all require excision. I NEVER had a problem with my skin until this year (I'm 41) and suddenly am having lots of problems. I did grow up with well water and of course am now worried about my current well, driveway resurfacing, etc. UGH!

Any advice would be appreciated!

Old 02-14-2010, 07:12 AM   #9
(female)

happywallace HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJMom18 View Post
So Bowens is a skin disease? Oleandar - you seem to know so much...I had one of these removed 4 months ago, and 2" from it I have another spot that looks "weird" to me. It's oval and a tiny bit raised and sort of skin colored/pink. I noticed it because the cells that are usually in skin aren't visible on the spot - it's smooth. I think I have a few of these spots on my legs...just slightly discolored and smooth.

i guess my question is ... am I just going to get a ton of this? And does it start as AK or just grow in as Bowens? Meaning can they freeze it off if I catch is quickly enough or will all require excision. I NEVER had a problem with my skin until this year (I'm 41) and suddenly am having lots of problems. I did grow up with well water and of course am now worried about my current well, driveway resurfacing, etc. UGH!

Any advice would be appreciated!

Old 02-14-2010, 07:16 AM   #10
(female)

happywallace HB User

Hello NJMom,
All such a worry isn't it. I haven't done anything more myself though the Lord has blessed me with better health. Are you in the UK? I've met someone who is being treated for a skin cancer in Berkshire under the NHS and she has been told to go to a clinic every 6 months to get her skin checked?! Under our private health scheme there is no such help but even if there was I don't think I would trust the dermatologists again, how to find a good one? I'll pray that your skin marks clear up. My thoughts are with you.

Old 02-15-2010, 07:02 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

Happy Wallace,

Try not to worry. Find a Dermatologist if you can . Keep looking.

That Doctor sent you that letter to cover his own tail end. The first lady idiot doctor that did my biopsy sent me a letter also 38 days after the biopsy. She missed the results and never called me. But I was one step ahead of her. Here in the US our Medical records belong to us.... I had already gone to the hospital where the Pathology was read and got a copy of the results. By the time this nut sent me a letter to prove she had notified me I had already seen another Doctor. I should have been called within a week of that biopsy.

Try and find a good Doctor and do not worry. You may never have it show up again but be aware you need to watch your skin......

Keep us posted. Oleander

Closed Thread