It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Skin Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-21-2010, 01:36 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

G8r4evr HB User
Terrified of a new mole....

So after looking over tons of pictures, I am certain that this new mole on my face appeared while I was pregnant.

My Daughter is about to turn two, so it has been there for over 2 years, solid dark brown, perfectly round with decisive borders and about the size (maybe a little smaller) than an eraser. It is perfectly flat and looks just like several other moles on my face, but it is new.

I am so scared. My daughters birthday is next week and I hate that this new mole is now hanging over my head.

If it does come back as cancer, is a SNB always done with melanoma? Also, is it possible to have a SNB with only local anesthesia? General anestthesia is a big fear of mine!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-21-2010, 01:42 PM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User
Re: Terrified of a new mole....

Perfectly symetrical and solid in color are two signs it is not cancer. irregular and shading are signs it could be cancerous. Sounds just like a regular mole. If so, it is up to you whether or not you remove it. I've had 3 removed from my face 9just because I didn't like them being there) and it's no big deal at all. Go see a dermatologist for a diagnosis.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-21-2010, 07:25 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

G8r4evr HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titchou View Post
Perfectly symetrical and solid in color are two signs it is not cancer. irregular and shading are signs it could be cancerous. Sounds just like a regular mole. If so, it is up to you whether or not you remove it. I've had 3 removed from my face 9just because I didn't like them being there) and it's no big deal at all. Go see a dermatologist for a diagnosis.

Thank you...for calming my nerves, even the slightest. But you really think it could be just a regular mole, even though it is new and appeared when I was pregnant and 28....and is near the size of an eraser?

Old 02-23-2010, 07:07 AM   #4
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

Sure! They can show up any time during your life. You don't have to be born with them. I've had them all over me and none have turned out to be cancer. Even had one come up next to my nipple..yikes! That was weird havng it removed! I've probably had a dozen removed over the years and only 2 came back as "abnormal" so I had to have a large core removed and all was well (they were on my stomach).
Your age and whether they show up during pregnancy have nothing to do with whether it's cancer. ...nor does size.

Go see your dermatologist! Good luck!

Old 02-23-2010, 04:38 PM   #5
(female)

laryn HB User

I think you definitely need to make an appointment with our dermatologist as soon as you can. I have actually had two melanoma skin cancers. The good thing about your mole is that you said it was perfectly round. Moles that are not round are the ones to be especially concerned of, because this means they are growing. My doctor told me that all through-out your life you will get new moles here and there due to your hormones changing, especially during pregnancy. Moles are not always a bad thing, but you do need to know the signs for cancerous ones. The sooner you get it checked out, the better the outcome. This mole may end up being perfectly normal, but it is always better to be safe than sorry. Do not be scared to make the appointment because of what the unknown might have in store. Both my moles were cancer but they were caught soon enough so I did not have to go through chemo or radiation. Melanoma is the fastest spreading skin cancer. If it continues to grow, it can get into your bloodstream so it is definitely better to be safe than sorry. Hope everything turns out okay!

Old 02-23-2010, 06:55 PM   #6
(female)

shygrl2 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by G8r4evr View Post
So after looking over tons of pictures, I am certain that this new mole on my face appeared while I was pregnant.

My Daughter is about to turn two, so it has been there for over 2 years, solid dark brown, perfectly round with decisive borders and about the size (maybe a little smaller) than an eraser. It is perfectly flat and looks just like several other moles on my face, but it is new.

I am so scared. My daughters birthday is next week and I hate that this new mole is now hanging over my head.

If it does come back as cancer, is a SNB always done with melanoma? Also, is it possible to have a SNB with only local anesthesia? General anestthesia is a big fear of mine!!
Hello, Ive been in a battle with Melanoma over a year now. I have not had a SNB... all my moles were caught in time. My Oncologist did not feel it was necessary. However, I will say I had 4 moles removed and they were all done with me under anesthesia...because they needed to dig so deep. I would not panic just yet. You may just have a nevi. I know how you feel...I've been there ..please have this checked so you can catch it in time if it is melanoma. Also you can't go by the pictures online...all my moles looked different in fact my Oncologist thought the one on my face was benign nevi ...he was shocked when it came back melanoma. Stay positive...try not to worry...just have this checked as soon as possible..have them remove it. Take care!

Old 02-24-2010, 10:01 AM   #7
(female)

hooper24 HB User

Dear terrified,
first of all, you should get the mole checked Immediately because it is new.....they will do it with a local numbing medication and you will not feel a thing....secondly your mole does not fit the description of a cancerous lesion ( it is too small and is symmetrical) so relax...my daughter had melanoma and they cured her completely....but the faster they catch it the better.....better safe than sorry...go NOW!

Last edited by hooper24; 02-24-2010 at 10:03 AM.

Old 03-15-2010, 09:41 AM   #8
(female)

ween HB User

I believe pregnancy in itself does a lot of strange things to skin. I actually grew a little blood blister on my stomach shortly after giving birth. It looked just like a mole, but it wasn't. The dermatologist said this was related to my pregnancy.

Old 03-21-2010, 05:03 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

G8r4evr HB User

Thanks so much for all of the replies. I went to the Dr an she calmed my fears, said because they look so much like my other moles, they dont concern her at all....unless they start to change. She didnt even want to remove them. Ahhhhhh

Old 03-25-2010, 03:54 PM   #10
Veteran
(female)

Chele60 HB UserChele60 HB UserChele60 HB UserChele60 HB UserChele60 HB UserChele60 HB User

G8r4evr ~ I'm thrilled that this mole on your face has been taken care of. It can be frightening to discover something like this. However, as stated above, moles can and do appear throughout one's life, although it is not common for them to continue to develop after age 40.

Now, I would like address the idea that if a mole is symmetrical it cannot be melanoma. This is absolutely FALSE! Although in most situations melanoma has irregular borders, melanoma can whatever the heck it wants to. I'm proof of that - the melanoma I had was absolutely, perfectly round. I'd never seen anything so perfectly round and with an absolutely crisp, sharp border. And, no bigger than a pencil eraser, either, and dark brown/black in color. My melanoma really should not have been melanoma - it fit none of the A, B, C, D, E's. The point of this is: if you have suspicions about anything on your skin that you are second-guesing, SEE A DOCTOR! Please. It's your life.

Closed Thread