It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Skin Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-15-2010, 08:17 PM   #1
(male)

holyscythe HB User
Exposed to Radiation

Hi all

I kind of have a unique situation. I was working at a lab at a pharmaceutical company and someone left this UV lamp on where I was working. It was like 1 meter away from me and it was on me for like 2 hours. I was just wondering how much damage that could do.

Model number: UVGL-55

The specs are 254/365 nm, 110V, and 60 Hz. The lamp says don't expose to skin and it was facing the right side of my face. I don't use that equipment so I don't know much about it.

Old 03-17-2010, 06:57 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Oleander53 HB UserOleander53 HB UserOleander53 HB User
Re: Exposed to Radiation

Dear Holy,

Were you red from the exposure? You should have some information at work about this equipment and some type of manual with safety precautions. You could call the manufacturer about it. What is this used for in your work area?

Just my opinion. Make an incident report out on it just in case you have a problem in the future. Make sure it does not happen again.

Try not to worry. Oleander

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-17-2010, 09:38 PM   #3
(male)

holyscythe HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oleander53 View Post
Dear Holy,

Were you red from the exposure? You should have some information at work about this equipment and some type of manual with safety precautions. You could call the manufacturer about it. What is this used for in your work area?

Just my opinion. Make an incident report out on it just in case you have a problem in the future. Make sure it does not happen again.

Try not to worry. Oleander
Thanks for the reply. The chemistry department uses that equipment so I'm not too sure but it's used to see fluorescence on silica or something.

I was just wondering if the wavelength is similar to that of exposure to solar radiation, that way I would be less worried because it will be like sitting in the sun for 2 hours.

I was not red from exposure and the chemist told me to make incident report if I get a rash or something.

I'm new there and a payed intern, don't want to make a big deal out of it. I guess I'll ask my supervisor after he comes back from vacation.

Old 03-18-2010, 06:06 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Oleander53 HB UserOleander53 HB UserOleander53 HB User

Interesting ........ I will research it a little more. Oleander

Closed Thread