It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Skin Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-13-2010, 03:05 PM   #1
(female)

linkon HB User
Little moles that grow together

I just notice there is a strange mole on my shoulder. It looks like 4 little moles (each ~2mm, and a little bit raised) grew very closely / touching each other. About 1 cm away there are 2 more tiny (<1mm) moles. I have seen moles grew closely together before, but never that close. I THINK there was a mole in that location before, but it doesn't look anbormal with so many brothers and sisters. The color and shape looks normal though.

I am going to see my family doctor few days later. Should I insist to have someone else check me? What should I ask him? I am in Canada and doctor here does not like to refer patient unless they are obviously sick.

Last edited by linkon; 05-13-2010 at 03:06 PM.

Old 05-14-2010, 08:43 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

Chele60 HB UserChele60 HB UserChele60 HB UserChele60 HB UserChele60 HB UserChele60 HB User
Re: Little moles that grow together

Hello!

I have a number of moles that are touching/grown together. And I've had a melanoma removed as well. I do regular skin checks, and I keep an eye on all the moles I have, but the ones that have grown together do not really concern me if they are not changing. I did ask my derm about them, and she looked at them but wasn't concerned. Moles sometimes do touch or grow together. You have to remember what creates a mole - it's the pigment in the skin - and sometimes those cluster of pigmented cells can be that close together.

Yes, definitely have your doctor take a look at it. If you are a risk for skin cancer (fair skinned, lots of exposure to sun/tanning beds, have a lot of moles, any bad sunburns in your life) you can insist on having it biopsied. Some docs will do that at your urging (at least here in the US). Or, you can ask to see a derm. However, if you aren't really at risk for skin cancer, I would suggest keeping watch and see if there are any other changes. (Each individual should be doing monthly skin checks in the privacy of their home, anyway!)

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread