It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Skin Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-25-2011, 11:14 AM   #1
(female)

muniandrea HB User
severely atypical mole on finger

I had a small mole on my finger biopsied and the good news was that it was NOT cancer,but the bad news is that it was severely unusual. The doctor then told me that I need to have more skin removed.

I have been referred to a hand surgeon and I am very, very worried. The mole was on the palm side of my finger and there isn't much skin there to be removed. Are they going to have to amputate my finger? Or will it be really deformed after the surgery? Will I be able to move it around?

Has anyone else had something removed on a finger before? I don't know what to expect or what kind of risks are involved.

I am just so worried about this and now worried that all the other moles on my body are going to "go bad". It makes me want to go get them all removed immediately.

The following user gives a hug of support to muniandrea:
sudo59 (01-26-2011)
Old 01-26-2011, 11:09 AM   #2
(female)

sudo59 HB User
Re: severely atypical mole on finger

Relax, you will be fine.

I also had a "severly dysplastic nevi" removed. Mine was on my leg, but it too was in a spot that I really didn't think there was much skin, the front of my shin. The surgery, (and when I say surgery, it's not like in a hospital type surgery) went well and I do have a small scar but over time it has faded.

Like you said, the good news is that it was not cancer. Dysplastic Nevi, (abnormal moles) have the POSSIBILITY to one day become cancerous but NOT, let me say that again, NOT all of them do.

You will do great, get a complete body check by a good dermo and move on with your life. : )

Mary

Last edited by sudo59; 01-26-2011 at 11:09 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-18-2011, 03:37 PM   #3
(female)

muniandrea HB User

Wanted to give a quick update.

Had my surgery this week. They took 5mm around where the mole was and had to graft skin from my palm on it so it could heal. Therapy will be started in a couple weeks when they remove all the stitches.

Worried about what they may or may not find in the additional skin removed, but not much I can do but wait.

Trying to relax and just pray.

Old 03-02-2011, 04:49 PM   #4
(female)

muniandrea HB User

Pathology report came back clear. Praise God!

My finger looked pretty scary to me when they first removed the bandaging. But in just a few short days, it is already looking more normal. I think it will be a long time until it is fully healed, but I am so relieved that there was no melanoma in there that I don't really care what it looks like anymore.

Good luck to all the others on this message board that are facing tests, results, surgeries, etc. My prayers are will all of you.

Closed Thread