It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Skin Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-20-2011, 07:06 AM   #1
(male)

Chase0737 HB User
Squamous Post Op Healing

I had a large squamous cell cancer surgically removed from my lower right leg.
It has been about six weeks since the surgery but the surgical site has not healed and is still draining. The doc says not to worry and I'm not but I'm looking for a way to speed up the healing process. Cover, don't cover, apply ointment or let it air. What I have learned is that wounds/surgeries on the lower leg are are real challenge. Thanks.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-22-2011, 02:16 PM   #2
(female)

michigansk8er HB User
Re: Squamous Post Op Healing

How's it going? I'm having the same problem. Right lower leg, 10+ weeks out and still not healed.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-22-2011, 02:59 PM   #3
(male)

Chase0737 HB User

Thanks for asking.

It finally began to form a scab about two weeks ago and stopped draining. Before that, every time I took a shower, it drained some more. My doc had told me it would be slow to heal and that it would six months to a year to look normal again. Part of the scab fell off but part is still there, but it looks much better. Taking a shower is fine now. I really think what you are experiencing is normal. Just be patient.

Old 05-22-2011, 03:27 PM   #4
(female)

michigansk8er HB User
Unhappy Re: Squamous Post Op Healing

Thanks for letting me know this is normal. I'm a triathlete and this is really frustrating, since I still can't swim. I suppose being on the bike and run isn't helping matters.

Old 05-22-2011, 03:42 PM   #5
(male)

Chase0737 HB User

Funny you should mention that. I'm also a serious runner, but not triahlete. I had just done a half marathon when this thing came up, but did not want to stop training completely. He only restricted my running for one month post surgery. I picked it back up after the month, even though it was still draining. He did not see that as a problem. So, I am fully back up to my routine now. My theory (non-medical) was always that exercising the leg was good. Either way, I sure couldn't wait six months. What works best while it is healing is elevating it whle you sleep, which is not as hard as it sounds. But, mainly it is just a matter of time. No short-cuts.

Old 05-22-2011, 03:47 PM   #6
(female)

michigansk8er HB User

I took off for a few weeks, then started training again. Did a 1/2 marathon with half of the stitches still in. My surgeon just rolls his eyes. I'm just guessing my 1/2 Ironman will be off in July. Then again..................

Old 05-22-2011, 05:18 PM   #7
(male)

Chase0737 HB User

I did wait until he removed the stitches. That just seemed like the prudent thing to do, else I could have really opened it up and maybe had bleeding, which there was none at any step of the way. Has something to do with the blood supply in that area. You may want check on the advisability of swimming until it is completely healed. Although showers and baths are okay, I've been told that the chemicals (and maybe germs) in pools and hot tubs can be bad. I'm not a doc, but my brother-in-law is (OB-GYN, so he may not know). But I am taking his advice. I'm staying out of the water until I go back to Aruba next January.

Old 05-22-2011, 05:33 PM   #8
(female)

michigansk8er HB User

So far I've been told no swimming, so won't. I actually had every other stitch out when I did the 1/2 marathon. I racewalk, so not the same pounding as running, or that's my theory. Interesting about the blood supply though. I wish my surgeon was more informative. I know at the time I had the tumor removed the surgeon was going back and forth about doing a skin graft. I think, besides using my leg too much, stretching my skin to it's limits to stitch it up was probably the long choice. I go back to see dermatologist this week, and surgeon next week. Out of the water until next January will break my heart. Oh my........... Thank goodness I haven't plunked down the money for Rev3 yet (Iron distance).

Closed Thread