It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Skin Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-02-2011, 12:01 AM   #1
(male)

david5555 HB User
mod to severe atypia

I've always had a small black freckle on my lower leg, this past winter/spring I started to think it had gotten bigger but couldn't tell if I was imagining it or not. It was never something I paid much attention to, I just new it was there. I closely examined it, and it had clearly defined borders and measured 4mm across but did have some slight color variation of black center and more brownish toward the edges. Finally convinced myself that it was in fact larger than it was in the past and made an appt to get it checked. The dr said he wasn't too worried about it, but that it should be removed, so he shaved it off last week.

Got the report today that it was an atypical mole, with moderate to severe atypia. So I'm going back to have a full excision, he's planning on doing 5mm margins around the site.

What I worry about is the location of it - my lower front shin. I wonder if there's enough loose skin there to close the wound. He doesn't seem to think I'll need a skin graft so I'll have to trust him. Has anyone had a procedure done in that area?

In any case I shouldn't be worrying about this, considering I spent the past week mentally preparing myself for the possibility of a melanoma diagnosis.

Old 06-04-2011, 11:20 AM   #2
(female)

sudo59 HB User
Re: mod to severe atypia

Yes, I did. A year ago about this same time. Same scenario, had a mole that looked ok really other than it was a bit darker than my other moles, had it shaved and the results were severe atypia. Had a full excision to follow with wide margins taken. Had a ugly looking scar for awhile but over the past year it faded tremendously, barely noticeable now. My biggest complaint was that I was not able to run or play tennis for about 2 months after for fear of reopening the incision.

Hope that helps!

By the way, forgot to mention mine was also on my shin.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread